Sponsored

Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it?

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
So when antimatter was first revealed on the ford website and in renders it looked REALLY good. However in real life its much darker and its much harder to get the car to pop and is completely reliant on sun angle and car geometry.

here are some renders of what it was supposed to look like early on

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? 1596038220627

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? fda02cef-ceea-4c21-b632-de7b02693298-2021_Bronco_Two-door_Outerbanks_2door_Antimatter

Im a fan of a dark but DEEP blue.

Here are some (what i HEAVILY assume are edited by mike levine to give extra color "pop" via phone app , btw the best pictures ever taken of this color are from him on his twitter account) pictures of what antimatter should look like in my opinion.

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? p1wovw32t5461

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? EmuNEtiVEAEQ3-m

A deep berry juicy look. Like you could scoop it off the car and eat it

Is there a way to achieve this color with car paint in natural lighting? If i cant get a antimatter blue car i will get one painted to look like those two levine cars. However i have no idea how paint works and if its even possible
Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
other than direct sunlight it almost always looks "almost" black.. Here is my 2021 AMB F250 (well work provided).. It is tough to make it look clean, but looks great.
amb 3.jpg
amb 2.jpg
amb 1.jpg

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Right but in real life , antimatter "pop" looks like this. More of a muted blue instead of a deep rich fruity blue

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? Antimatter-Blue-Bronco-2-Door-Outer-Banks

vs a obviously edited picture like this

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? FB_IMG_1616875166434

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Absolutely, just a matter of mixing the paint the right way, and probably doing a bunch of layers of different colors to get the right effect.

Tagging @broadicustomworks for his knowledge on the matter

Sponsored
OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Absolutely, just a matter of mixing the paint the right way, and probably doing a bunch of layers of different colors to get the right effect.

Ya i was hoping a paint guy would be able to answer this. I "liked" the antimatter that ford offered but if they are going to cancel it i want to know that its possible to get REAL antimatter that blows your socks off.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Right but in real life , antimatter "pop" looks like this. More of a muted blue instead of a deep rich fruity blue

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? Bronco cham 1

vs a obviously edited picture like this

Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? Bronco cham 1
Yep, most people think my F250 is black, unless the sun is blazing

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the color it should've been.. Navarra Blue, from Audi. Really goes from almost black to a very bright blue.
Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? 1628355279473

My original order was for AMB, but after seeing it in person, I changed to cactus gray. The amount of flake in AMB is quite intense and is going to make for a very difficult paint to do touch ups or to get color matched down the road. The pro's may be getting better at matching high flake paint, but it wasnt anything I was willing to risk.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, bro!

yeah to get the effect of the heavily saturated and filtered cool pics, it’s not as simple as a factory Ford color or even a tri-coat with a pearl midcoat.

to get the effect of his pics, that’s going to take a cobalt candy over black metallic base.
His pics show what a candy does more so than a metallic or pearl effect.
Not a cheap job, as you effectively paint the car an average of 9 or more times (or at least I do to get the “deep” effect)
2X coats of black metallic
4X coats of candy
3-4 coats of clear.
And then I take it a step further, sand with 800 and put two more coats of clear.
In the end it looks like you could trip and fall into it.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Antimatter blue was my first choice esp after seeing the renderings, Ford should come up with something that is close but Im sure they wont.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
None of the renders look like the real colors.

Race Red has a very distinct orange tint in person, far more orange than it looks on the Render.

Rapid Red looks much better in person than the render.

Catctus is far more green in the sun than the render.

AMB has always been "almost black". It's not like it's a new color for the Bronco. A third of the Black F-150s out there are probably AMB, another third are "Magma Red" which is the red version of AMB.

The closest color to the AMB Render would be "Blue Jeans" which is/was an F-150 color.

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, bro!

yeah to get the effect of the heavily saturated and filtered cool pics, it’s not as simple as a factory Ford color or even a tri-coat with a pearl midcoat.

to get the effect of his pics, that’s going to take a cobalt candy over black metallic base.
His pics show what a candy does more so than a metallic or pearl effect.
Not a cheap job, as you effectively paint the car an average of 9 or more times (or at least I do to get the “deep” effect)
2X coats of black metallic
4X coats of candy
3-4 coats of clear.
And then I take it a step further, sand with 800 and put two more coats of clear.
In the end it looks like you could trip and fall into it.
how expensive is "expensive"

i was going to spend alot on PPF for the antimatter

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im a fan of a dark but DEEP blue.
Antimatter blue was my first choice esp after seeing the renderings, Ford should come up with something that is close but Im sure they wont.
The Alto blue that is on the Sport is your jam then! Saw one in person, JUST ENOUGH blue that it didn't go black like the AMB.

AMB has always been "almost black". It's not like it's a new color for the Bronco. A third of the Black F-150s out there are probably AMB, another third are "Magma Red" which is the red version of AMB.

The closest color to the AMB Render would be "Blue Jeans" which is/was an F-150 color.
RE: Antimatter Red comment

Green Gem could be the Antimatter Green.
It goes black in low light but POPS green like a mothertrucker in sunlight.
Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? 1628434715374
Ford Bronco Paint nerds. Need your help. If antimatter is canceled in my22 , how do we make it better/fix it? 1628434654062

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how expensive is "expensive"

i was going to spend alot on PPF for the antimatter
Probably looking at 7k or more. Materials alone is going to be in the 2-3k range just for the primers, paints, clears, and additives.
Add to that the masking and sanding materials.
And the car would have to be de-masked and re-taped a few times to keep the paint clean and avoid heavy tape lines.
it’s a lot.
a lot of work and a lot of $

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably looking at 7k or more. Materials alone is going to be in the 2-3k range just for the primers, paints, clears, and additives.
Add to that the masking and sanding materials.
And the car would have to be de-masked and re-taped a few times to keep the paint clean and avoid heavy tape lines.
it’s a lot.
a lot of work and a lot of $
man that sucks. that would be like 14-16k for paint and PPF
Sponsored