Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have found the black handle argument funny since the beginning when all the trims were finally shown. Could you imagine a King Ranch F-150 with low grade XL black door handles and mirrors, or maybe a Expedition with black door handles? It looks ridiculous and nobody would want it, period. Every high end nice looking rig has chrome or paint matched handles (not 100% but close). All the garbage lower trims from most manufactures come with black plastic door handles and mirrors. Yet when the Bronco comes along a decent amount of people say the black handles are the best looking....hmmmmm. I partly think this is because Badlands people are stuck with them. But that's just me. Do the black handles look bad? Not really, but you sure can't say the painted are a downgrade.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spoke to a couple shops about painting mirror caps and handles on the BL and hitting a wall. Most reputable guys said it shouldn’t be sanded and painted, or won’t last. It starts it’s life as plastic. Need to order OEM paintable then get it painted.

So I’m looking at Ford parts for other trucks. What I’m seeing is the following:

Front handle primed with passive entry is 120-160 depending on car or if on sale. It goes to 190 with passive entry and passive start (which I don’t think we have). It’s a different assembly and you need to pay to have the button cut out and inner part. Not sure if you could modify a non passive entry handle. You’ll see the front Bronco handles have buttons. Probably the same for tailgate handle.

Rear handle primed is 40-50. Much simpler.

let’s say
140/ea for front
50/ea for rear
140 for tailgate.

That’s 520

plus let’s say 300 to paint. 820

then I assume mirror caps and painting is another 200-300

and honestly, I think you’d have to beg a paint shop to do such a small job for that price since most the costs are going to Ford for the parts, not to the body shop for the labor or sanding/painting plastic handles. I could easily see guys wanting 500 to remove, paint, and install. Especially because it’s a car they’ve never worked on or seen.

so 1000ish on handles plus mirrors

ouch. God damn you antimatter blue

405C5875-3BF5-40DC-88DC-2D2057433031.png

BF595102-E436-4FDD-BFB9-BEA247A44CBC.png

66762650-D6F1-4691-8737-8B84EF5F9036.png
Curious why any person would even be concerned with the door handles. It seems like such a minor detail. You can get a set of rims for that price

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious why any person would even be concerned with the door handles. It seems like such a minor detail. You can get a set of rims for that price
I'm definitely not moving forward with it at that price. Sharing it for other's benefit....and this is on an AMB, so I do care since it clashes, just not 1,000 dollars care.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not a bad idea actually, in theory. But don’t want to mess around with the geometry. A sas downgraded to 33s will probably drive worse than it would with 35s since it wasn’t setup that way from the factory.
I assume that even if you decided to do that, you would also need to factor in the purchase of AMB fenders, correct?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
[QUOTE="stampede1, post: 382085, member: 9445" I assume that even if you decided to do that, you would also need to factor in the purchase of AMB fenders, correct? [/QUOTE] I actually like the look of the unpainted fenders. gives wheel wells extra height, and ties in the MIC. Plus with painted flares, I'd probably find myself chasing the mod top , at a future date, which will cost $$ to buy post delivery.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have found the black handle argument funny since the beginning when all the trims were finally shown. Could you imagine a King Ranch F-150 with low grade XL black door handles and mirrors, or maybe a Expedition with black door handles? It looks ridiculous and nobody would want it, period. Every high end nice looking rig has chrome or paint matched handles (not 100% but close). All the garbage lower trims from most manufactures come with black plastic door handles and mirrors. Yet when the Bronco comes along a decent amount of people say the black handles are the best looking....hmmmmm. I partly think this is because Badlands people are stuck with them. But that's just me. Do the black handles look bad? Not really, but you sure can't say the painted are a downgrade.
I'm a WT guy, veering to OBX. For me the black (or unpainted, whatever) handles come down to aesthetics and balance. I've never been a fan of vehicles with too much paint. Ford vehicles and well, trucks in general are guilty of that. The black handles "break up" all that door body paint. Adds character.

It's the same reason why I'd never get a body match top. Just way too much of one color

Personal preference, of course

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just get them wrapped

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It goes to 190 with passive entry and passive start (which I don’t think we have).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "passive entry" is the proximity key and pushbutton start (mid package) and "passive start" is remote start (mid with automatic)

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "passive entry" is the proximity key and pushbutton start (mid package) and "passive start" is remote start (mid with automatic)
Close, but has nothing to do with remote start.

" Passive entry passive start (PEPS) is a secure wireless communication system that enables a driver to access their car (unlocking the car and starting the engine) without physically using a key. This system uses RF signals for authenticating the key by sending signals between the car and key. This is the technology that powers smart keys. "

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nothing to do with remote start.

" Passive entry passive start (PEPS) is a secure wireless communication system that enables a driver to access their car (unlocking the car and starting the engine) without physically using a key. This system uses RF signals for authenticating the key by sending signals between the car and key. This is the technology that powers smart keys. "
Whoops, my bad. Wonder why the Expedition screenshots show different "passive entry" handles based on whether or not "passive start" is equipped.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Whoops, my bad. Wonder why the Expedition screenshots show different "passive entry" handles based on whether or not "passive start" is equipped.
Not sure. I know absolutely nothing about the Explorer, other than that lovely 400HP 3.0.

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the camp that painted door handles look better.

I am most likely getting badlands but will be swapping out for painted door handles as soon as I am able.

I think the wildtrak has the best exterior look with the body painted handles and all black wheels. But I like the interior of the badlands and black diamond much more.

Much easier to fix some door handles than to fix the interior colors and carpet.
Sponsored