Sponsored

Panda Motorworks Catch Can Kit Prototype Headed to Production!

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following up with my earlier post - here are excerpts from the article with links to the Ford part that does each job in the engine:

1.The vent under vacuum. The image below shows what it looks like on an Ecoboost or Mazda DISI engine but all manufacturers have a similar version of this idea. It is made of an air to oil separator (an OEM catch can), a valve that closes under boost, and a hose directly to the manifold. This side of the PCV system pulls crankcase pressure out when there is vacuum in the intake manifold such as at idle and during cruising. It separates the oil film and gases through the OEM separator, returns the oil to the crankcase and pulls the gases through the manifold. Under boost the PCV valve closes and prevents boost pressure from entering the crankcase so this side of the system does not flow at all under boost.

PCV-Crankcase-Vent-Ecoboost-Stratified-300x189.jpg

Here is the Ranger 2.3 I4 part that separates oil and air (functioning as a catch can) when the engine is not under boost - when the intake manifold is under vacuum:

Oil Separator | FordUS

Oil Separator
Part #: 6A785

Ford Bronco Panda Motorworks Catch Can Kit Prototype Headed to Production! PCV-Crankcase-Vent-Ecoboost-Stratified-300x189

Usage: 12/01/2018, TFG Ranger 2019-, 2.3L EcoBoost
Section: Emission Control - Crankcase

2. The vent under boost. When the PCV valve is closed and the car is under boost as well as to a lesser extent under vacuum when it works together with the first system, this is where crankcase pressure is pulled from. The intake before the turbo has a vacuum effect from the turbo pulling in air through the intake tube and gases are PULLED from the top of the valve cover. The valve cover itself acts as an air to oil separator (a second OEM catch can which is also baffled) and returns the separated oil to the crankcase where it belongs.

Here is the Ranger 2.3 I4 part that separates oil and air during boost (during boost an aftermarket catch can doesn't do anything anyway, because a solenoid shuts off the flow from the intake manifold:

Oil Baffle | FordUS

Oil Baffle
Part #: 6687

Ford Bronco Panda Motorworks Catch Can Kit Prototype Headed to Production! PCV-Crankcase-Vent-Ecoboost-Stratified-300x189

There is a ton more detail in the article, but this is the key takeaway for me - It seems like the OEM engine has this issued covered and there is not a need for a extra catch can.
Sponsored

7.3ltr bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 f350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When you get one designed for 2.7 get ready to take my money. I don't have my bronco yet but have a mountain of parts sitting in the garage ready to install. I want to add this to the pile.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It amazes me how blind to info sheeple can be.

Oh and BTW, for all those who own rain boots, I’m taking pre-orders on high quality poly rain boot covers. They keep your rain boots from getting wet. Very low maintenance. You only have to replace them after every rain

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I want to be sure i'm understanding what you're selling here as the catch can will be the first modification on my 2.3/MT Bronco...

The Panda Motorworks catch can solution is a standard Radium Engineering catch can, but with bracketing, hoses and factory-compliant clips/clamps that you have designed and manufactured to make a true plug & play setup?

Also: Will your kits be including the petcock valve and draining hoses?

This is not a bad thing, Radium Eng. makes high quality catch cans, usually combining sintered brass filters and billet baffling, and OEM clips are never cheap.

I just want to understand exactly what it is that you are making/selling here as the $250 entry price is about a hundo over getting a standard single universal catch can from Radium.

Good question, I wondered some of the same.

FWIW, generally speaking, you're going to need the OEM clips and clamps to fit with the factory intercooler piping and what not, these days it's not just some worm clamps. They really add up in cost quite quickly.

That is correct its a Radium Can with our designed bracket and hoses that make it a true plug and play solution

the petcock drain valve is an add on option when purchasing. This location makes it a breeze to unscrew the can so its down to personal preference.

The bracket and hoses will be different for the 2.7 as the motor is a V6 vs I4

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When you get one designed for 2.7 get ready to take my money. I don't have my bronco yet but have a mountain of parts sitting in the garage ready to install. I want to add this to the pile.
We will let you know!

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Following up with my earlier post - here are excerpts from the article with links to the Ford part that does each job in the engine:

1.The vent under vacuum. The image below shows what it looks like on an Ecoboost or Mazda DISI engine but all manufacturers have a similar version of this idea. It is made of an air to oil separator (an OEM catch can), a valve that closes under boost, and a hose directly to the manifold. This side of the PCV system pulls crankcase pressure out when there is vacuum in the intake manifold such as at idle and during cruising. It separates the oil film and gases through the OEM separator, returns the oil to the crankcase and pulls the gases through the manifold. Under boost the PCV valve closes and prevents boost pressure from entering the crankcase so this side of the system does not flow at all under boost.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Here is the Ranger 2.3 I4 part that separates oil and air (functioning as a catch can) when the engine is not under boost - when the intake manifold is under vacuum:

Oil Separator | FordUS

Oil Separator
Part #: 6A785

Section: Emission Control - Crankcase

2. The vent under boost. When the PCV valve is closed and the car is under boost as well as to a lesser extent under vacuum when it works together with the first system, this is where crankcase pressure is pulled from. The intake before the turbo has a vacuum effect from the turbo pulling in air through the intake tube and gases are PULLED from the top of the valve cover. The valve cover itself acts as an air to oil separator (a second OEM catch can which is also baffled) and returns the separated oil to the crankcase where it belongs.

Here is the Ranger 2.3 I4 part that separates oil and air during boost (during boost an aftermarket catch can doesn't do anything anyway, because a solenoid shuts off the flow from the intake manifold:

Oil Baffle | FordUS

Oil Baffle
Part #: 6687

There is a ton more detail in the article, but this is the key takeaway for me - It seems like the OEM engine has this issued covered and there is not a need for a extra catch can.
Thank you for this information. As most know we have been inside these engines since GEN1 2.0 and watched the progression with Ford & how they have handled such issues. As this system is better than previous systems it still leaves a lot to be desired in a daily application. The problem is it is fed back inside the engine and suppose to be burned. For those that are not racing their bronco this will yield in some not being fully burned and cause carbon build up on the intake valves which will reduce Fuel economy & performance in years. Secondly over the years carbon build up can get on your injectors and cause blockage. We see this all to often on Focus ST's and is the #1 failure point in the Gen1 2.0 EcoBoost engines. By adding this catch can this will help prevent the un wanted build up. (will it prevent it all? NO but it helps!)

One of the best parts about the aftermarket parts manufactures is they go above OEM engineering to help customers keep their cars healthy and fast. Another big part that will help in unwanted build up is using a quality oil. DI engines& oil can cause unwanted build up & LSPI. We have made this easy by offering our oil change kits for you. The oil meets and exceeds OEM specifications and is API certified and tested by many people in the racing community along with us that has proven to keep the inside of a DI engine cleaner and safer from LSPI!

We know this debate will go on and on and we have no issue with that but please lets make another thread vs cluttering up our Prototype thread so customers can keep up to date on this product and learn more when we have more to share with this wonderful community!

Last edited:

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Send me a DM when I can purchase it, not getting my Bronco until Nov and I wanna install it ASAP

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bump

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Brackets are still in production. We made a last min change after some stress testing to make sure these are 100% ready for all types of driving
Cant wait, DM me once they available

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have finalized the design of our Catch Can kit for the 2.3L and it is headed to production! Front and center, this is an essential piece for your engine bay that functions as great as it looks! (pictured is the prototype)

Why do I need a catch can?

The main purpose of a catch can is to keep components of your turbocharged vehicle's engine clean and running the way it should. EcoBoost motors are known for creating excessive "blow by", and a catch can helps capture that blow by and prevents it from returning to your engine where it can build up and cause problems long term if not addressed. The build up can happen in places such as your intake manifold, intake valves, intercooler, and the intake itself. Excessive blow by build up can lead to problems such as clogged sensors, restricted air flow, and poor idling, all of which can hinder performance and reliability.

What is "Blow By"?

Blow By is the by-product of modern combustion and contains a mixture of oil vapors, water vapors, and unburnt fuel. When mixed together, with the help of high temperatures, the result is a nasty sludge. Definitely not something you want in your engine!

What's included in the Kit?

We only used the finest components available to bring you this top of the line catch can kit! For starters, we use a high-quality Radium Engineering PCV Catch Can. We have been using Radium Catch Cans on various applications throughout the years, and they stand alone compared to the competition. The kit also utilizes custom hoses with OEM grade quick-release fittings and other Vibrant fittings to make installation a breeze!

We are excited to bring this new product to market, and as soon as our pre-production kit has been finalized we will open up a pre-order for members of the forum! We are shooting for a price point around the $250 mark for these kits. At Panda Motorworks, we stand behind our products as we strive to offer the highest quality parts at the lowest possible price!

If you have any other questions, feel free reply to this thread or reach out to @chris@pandamotorworks or myself for further assistance!
Looks great but sell it in different anodized colors. Look at what Billet Technology does for Mopars.

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Send me a DM when I can purchase it, not getting my Bronco until Nov and I wanna install it ASAP
Have you installed the can?
Sponsored