Park Brake - Which type would you prefer? Foot Pedal, Hand Leaver or Electronic

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Seriously doubt there will be either a foot or hand parking brake. Most likely automatic electronic. I do hope there is some sort of hill-start assist in the MT though, that's an easy thing to do.
Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My ideal is a hand brake with a proper brake on the back of the transfer case like Land Rover. But it will never happen. Near certain it will be electronic, cheap and easy.

OP
OP
The Pope

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bumping this thread back up to the top due to a discussion going on the the General Section.....

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the foot pedal parking brake or lever. Electronic brakes require you to put the vehicle into "service mode" when performing rear brake pad and rotor replacement work. This is an additional step that needs looking up and following the instructions. right before electronic park brakes came out.... the brake cable actuated some shoes set up within the rotor which was a disc/drum combo (the brake pads and caliper were seperate and resetting the caliper to load the new pads in was a cinch!. just my 2 cents. as for how they perform, any type is fine.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the foot pedal parking brake or lever. Electronic brakes require you to put the vehicle into "service mode" when performing rear brake pad and rotor replacement work. This is an additional step that needs looking up and following the instructions. right before electronic park brakes came out.... the brake cable actuated some shoes set up within the rotor which was a disc/drum combo (the brake pads and caliper were seperate and resetting the caliper to load the new pads in was a cinch!. just my 2 cents. as for how they perform, any type is fine.
In the part of the country I live in the "minidrum" parking brake was an absolute fail. Vehicles only a few years old had non functional parking brakes...tbh they never really worked from the factory. When the rotors were removed for the 1st brake job the "rust ridge" built up on the inboard edge of the "drum surface" inside the rotor meant that the rotor couldn't be removed without more or less destroying the parking brake, shoes, hardware, backing plates even. Complete JUNK...and all manufacturers had them. I for one am 1000% happy to see them go! The early electric ones were garbage too, but it seems now they have started to figure it out. I might just live long enough to see 10 year old vehicles in Wisconsin w/a functional parking brake! What a time to be alive?!?

Sponsored

VE7 NGC

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Coming from all manual transmission older vehicles with hand brakes being a routine when parking a vehicle i thought i would be very opposed to the electric parking brake. After owning my bronco for a few weeks im happy to report that im actually prefering this setup. When i park i simply reach down and engage it, but the big game changer is that when im ready to drive away and the ebrake is engaged, i simply just start driving and it automatically disengages itself, no having to remember its even there. That to me is actually a huge win, and for me trumps the foot or lever style handbrake

jcaruso970

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
E parking brakes are for sissy's - but I forgive Ford for giving me one in my BD MT Bronco - even VW performance cars have done away with manual hand brakes.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
coming from mostly manual cars, most recently 3 Subaru STis and a Nissan Z since 2004, I will always reach for the lever e brake in the center console area. The click, click, click tightening as you pull up the handle lets you know it’s secure. It’s been an adjustment in my 7MT Bronco. I actually didnt engage it one day and looked out the window to see my Bronco slowly rolling down my driveway! It was in 1st gear
Sponsored