Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Am I the only guy being driven nuts by the parking brake function? I just don't understand what they were thinking.

They put it in the same spot you'd find a normal foot brake release (even though there's no foot pedal to set it), but the worst part is that the function is backwards! You normally pull a brake release to release the brake. On the Bronco you pull it to set the brake and push it to release it. It's so counterintuitive to my old brain that I continually screw it up! I'm not sure I'll ever get it right.

Ford Bronco Parking brake. It drives me nuts! rrrrrr

Okay, rant off. Thanks for listening. :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I pull it to set it, became automatic. I never touch it to release it though, does that by itself when I start driving. And for just setting it, pull seems to make more sense to me.
I do wish it would be mounted by the goat mode dial or somewhere in that area, I have to lean forward to engage it, but as I said, automatic by now.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5 months in ... it still fucks me up when I go to release it.

Auto off for launch ... Either I am not hitting it hard enough or there are times it will NOT release when I want to drive.
Honestly, once I manually set it, I'd rather it stay on until I physically release it ... to prevent accidental release in a bad offroad situation.

EDIT .... and YES, the location absolutely sucks ... like much of the interior intuitiveness (lack of).

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I liken the Bronco parking brake to those old mini/micro USB chargers. Only 2 ways to plug them in and you always got it wrong on the first attempt.

My biggest issue is that I go to release the brake right after hitting the start button but before the Bronco has fully "booted up" and end up having to release it twice.

Last edited:

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s not just you. I don’t like it either.

Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never touch it to release it though, does that by itself when I start driving.
I attempt this and nearly stall everytime. End up having to hit the button to release and I'm on my way.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not that big a deal. Every vehicle I've bought in the last 25 years has had a different parking brake than the one previous. Since it's in the spot many of us learned to reach for with a foot brake, then you already have half the muscle memory down. Should be fairly easy to adjust since you are already used to reaching there half the time anyway. I do agree it should be push to set and pull to release.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I pull it almost every time I try to open the hood.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since it's in the spot many of us learned to reach for with a foot brake, then you already have half the muscle memory down. Should be fairly easy to adjust since you are already used to reaching there half the time anyway. I do agree it should be push to set and pull to release.
The muscle memory I have is to stomp on the foot brake to set it. But yes, I can get over that and it's fairly intuitive to reach down that way to release the brake. The push vs. pull is the big problem. They should reverse the function. I wonder if they can do it with a software update?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I the only guy being driven nuts by the parking brake function? I just don't understand what they were thinking.

They put it in the same spot you'd find a normal foot brake release (even though there's no foot pedal to set it), but the worst part is that the function is backwards! You normally pull a brake release to release the brake. On the Bronco you pull it to set the brake and push it to release it. It's so counterintuitive to my old brain that I continually screw it up! I'm not sure I'll ever get it right.

Ford Bronco Parking brake. It drives me nuts! rrrrrr

Okay, rant off. Thanks for listening. :D
Lol
Same reason why they changed power window switches years ago... Safety...
Can you imagine going down the highway and accidently PUSH the E-brake switch in to activate it?

Ruggles

Big Bend
First Name
Lindsay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 1961 Ranchero has a parking brake handle in the exact same location, pull to set it and push to release. I got used to the Bronco pretty quick because of that but I prefer having mechanical feedback vs having to look at the gauges to make sure it worked.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lol
Same reason why they changed power window switches years ago... Safety...
Can you imagine going down the highway and accidently PUSH the E-brake switch in to activate it?
Great point!

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You all are using the parking brake?
It can help protect the P pin over time. I use mine always.
It bugs me too. I had to think of it like pulling ON pants, and pushing them OFF. Was very backward for me and not a great location.
Sponsored