Sponsored

Partial hard top - remove just the front three pieces?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was also curious (as others read the OPs post) if you could just run the front parts of the hardtop. Kind of like a hard bimini. I guess that's what ratchet straps are for lol.
See the first three replies
Sponsored

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi All,
I feel like this should be obvious but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I reserved a 4 door OBX MIC hard top only. Are you able to take off and ride on the highway with just the front three pieces (driver, passenger, rear seats) parts of the top off? In my mind I just keep picturing the back as a parachute if I can't open any of the windows on the large back piece.

thank you!
I don't think it work down the highway, but if you look at the rubicon trail testing photos they had the back off and the 3 front panels on.

Down the highway im sure you need all 4 pieces interlocking given the speeds. I'm buying the Bimini soft top from Ford for summer/spring daily driving. It covers the front and back seats while leaving the bed uncovered. It's $500 and can be added to your build. Late availability though per my dealer like everything else 🤷‍♂️.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think it work down the highway, but if you look at the rubicon trail testing photos they had the back off and the 3 front panels on.

Down the highway im sure you need all 4 pieces interlocking given the speeds. I'm buying the Bimini soft top from Ford for summer/spring daily driving. It covers the front and back seats while leaving the bed uncovered. It's $500 and can be added to your build. Late availability though per my dealer like everything else 🤷‍♂️.
Why?

Open sunroofs aren't a problem on the highway. Why would taking off the first two rows be any different than a sunroof being wide open on the highway? In fact, driving with all four windows down, on the highway, would be just as unlikely to work as driving on the highway with the front two rows off the roof. I just don't see the issue you seem to have imagined.

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why?

Sunroofs aren't a problem on the highway. Why would taking off the first two rows be any different than a sunroof being wide open on the highway? In fact, driving with all four windows down, on the highway, would be just as unlikely to work as driving on the highway with the front two rows off the roof. I just don't see the issue you seem to have imagined.

I misread the initial post. I thought it was referring to the front 3 pieces staying on and taking the back off. Removing the back section would impact the stability of the front 3.

And doors off with the Bimini top is most likely my daily driver. Hard top is for bad weather and the cold 🥶.

Sponsored

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

May not be an exact example, but I think it is a similar situation to the old tailgate up or down query... There is a low pressure area inside the cab which would cause airflow over the vehicle rather than outside air flowing down into the ‘parachute’ of the rear clamshell.

https://www.symscape.com/blog/tailgate-up-or-down

...to add that’s not to say it wouldn’t be ‘windy’er’ with the setup you described I just don’t think it will be a parachute situation.

Last edited:

swaing

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Ford Bronco Wildtrak with Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Exactly what I want to do! Thanks All!
Another option too would be to run this way, but leave the rear glass open for pass through. Just be careful pulling into your garage.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What a revival, but just in case anyone is still wondering, I have been on the highway with the front 3 panels removed and the rear glass closed and everything was great!

I don't think you could run just the front 3 without the rear though.

tjzoli

Wildtrak
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have just taken those 3 panels off a number of times. its totally fine, and safe. no real clamshell braking effect that i could tell. the back seats get pretty breezy though. my teenage kids wore baseball hats. And even though it was a pretty warm sunny day, they used the pack blanket I leave in the car. And my 11 year old feel asleep…
Sponsored