Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29133419/patent-ford-bronco-removable-doors/

All I gotta say: HELL yes.

Ford Patent Sheds Light on 2021 Bronco's Removable Doors
A latch system appears to make it much simpler than Jeep's door-removal protocol, which requires tools.

Ford's patent details a new system for removing doors that appears conceptually better than Jeep's current system. Unlike Jeep, Ford won't ask you to remove screws and bolts or require the use of multiple screwdrivers. The patent shows a set of latches, as in the sketch above, that allow doors to be removed when the latch is disengaged, which is a far simpler solution. (Yes, we are aware the sketch is more Ford Flex–like than the Bronco will be, although it will come in both two- and four-door forms.)

We found out there's a certain hassle factor, for instance, with the new Jeep Gladiator, when we took off the doors and roof and dropped the windshield. There's also the danger of inadvertently losing parts that are necessary when fastening the doors back onto the car.

screen-shot-2019-09-19-at-4-57-05-pm-1568926804.png

According to this patent description, instead of unscrewing a bolt, all you have to do is move the latch to the unlocked position, then take the door off from the rest of the body. To make sure that it doesn't become disengaged, Ford details a series of locks and fail-safes that will prevent an unneeded unlatching. The first line of the patent even says, "This disclosure relates generally to a latch that can block a door of a vehicle from being removed when the vehicle is not in an upright position." So much for worry that the doors could fall off in case of a rollover during off-roading shenanigans.

Based on the pictures, a small rod connects the latching mechanism to the door. When the rod is pulled down, the latch is disengaged from the door, which can then be taken off at the hinges. The only other connection that needs to be removed in theory is the electrical wiring that powers the locks and windows of the window. Putting the doors back on should be a simple matter of putting the door back on the hinges and re-engaging the latch, along with the electrical connections that would have to be reconnected.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first line of the patent even says, "This disclosure relates generally to a latch that can block a door of a vehicle from being removed when the vehicle is not in an upright position." So much for worry that the doors could fall off in case of a rollover during off-roading shenanigans.

I have to wonder how tightly such a mechanism can hold the seal closed in regard to NVH. Not falling apart unintentionally is obviously a must, but doing the job well enough to not be noticed the rest of the time will be a harder.

Would Ford offer "quick release doors" as an option, or a standard feature? Mo money?

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The first line of the patent even says, "This disclosure relates generally to a latch that can block a door of a vehicle from being removed when the vehicle is not in an upright position." So much for worry that the doors could fall off in case of a rollover during off-roading shenanigans.

I have to wonder how tightly such a mechanism can hold the seal closed in regard to NVH. Not falling apart unintentionally is obviously a must, but doing the job well enough to not be noticed the rest of the time will be a harder.

Would Ford offer "quick release doors" as an option, or a standard feature? Mo money?
Honestly it would probably be similar to the trigger safety on a Glock pistol. Just something that would ensure the inertia of the latch itself cannot unlock itself.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly it would probably be similar to the trigger safety on a Glock pistol. Just something that would ensure the inertia of the latch itself cannot unlock itself.
generally my thought as well, a spring loaded latch that is covered/hidden/inaccessible with the door closed. There are also some bearing type switches that have to be lined up in a certain orientation (for example, vertical) to be operated, but I don't think that would be the proper approach for an off-roader that is likely to get mud and dirt and water into everything..

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was wondering the same. Would there be micro movements with the door closed? Would this cause problems and noise later? However, I think it is a great idea and like that the designer are willing to take risks.

With all of this new technology, there might be a risk buying the 1st year model.

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hope this isn't dismissive of Ford's "2-piece door" idea that has the structural bars that the door slides off of to keep in place if desired when the door skin is removed

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is it true if you have removable doors, legally you have to have a raised "sill" like jeeps do?

Guidr3

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Your Bronco Model
Base
ANY TIME YOU USE THE TERM REMOVABLE YOU HAVE TO ASK YOUR SELF WILL IT LEAK AT SOME POINT IN TIME?

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't understand the concern with NVH. The hinge and seal would not be any different than a regular door. It appears that the latch is integrated in with the hinge thus keeping the door from sliding off of the hinge when engaged. Do Jeep doors have a propensity to become victims of NVH because they are removable? Mine never did. It will seal and close just like any other door. Nice and tight. Disengage the latch and the door pulls off just like a Jeep.

Just my thoughts after seeing the patent.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't understand the concern with NVH. The hinge and seal would not be any different than a regular door. It appears that the latch is integrated in with the hinge thus keeping the door from sliding off of the hinge when engaged. Do Jeep doors have a propensity to become victims of NVH because they are removable? Mine never did. It will seal and close just like any other door. Nice and tight. Disengage the latch and the door pulls off just like a Jeep.

Just my thoughts after seeing the patent.
Exactly. There should be no difference IF it is engineered properly.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm really starting to think the Ford marketing guys tapped into a new method of keeping the Bronco news cycle alive with all these patents. Every time they want to stimulate interest again they can have someone whip up a silly cartoonish off road figure with some idea they vaguely considered for a while and tossed into the 'nope' pile.

Practically free publicity, and they stake a claim on some random thingy they can prevent someone else from using.
Sponsored