Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe I'm thinking about turbo lag incorrectly. I'm open to an education.

I thought it was the lag time between stomping on the gas and the vehicle responding. Seems to be about 1 second in the Bronco. This is kind of annoying when pulling into traffic. So, I purchased a Banks Pedal Monster. I calibrated it and recalibrated. But, it still seems to still have a lag between the time I press the gas and when the vehicle responds. Granted, with the Pedal Monster it definitely picks up speed much faster when the vehicle catches. But, I thought that 1 second lag from pedal push to throttle response would be erased. Anyone with a throttle controller have the same experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pedal poll rate corresponds more to the speed of the throttle body valve opening. Turbos require exhaust flow to operate so adjusting accelerator responsiveness doesn't exactly translate to minimized turbo lag. Although, the faster you suck air into your engine the faster you'd be exhausting fumes.

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turbo lag has to deal with the amount of time it takes for exhaust gases to spin the turbo's impeller up to speed enough to pressurize incoming air (i.e. make boost). The time it takes to build boost is dependent upon how large the impeller wheel in the turbo is, as well as what type of bearings are used on the impeller (ball bearings are smaller than journal).

The delay in stepping on the throttle is the result of electric drive by wire...in short, modern vehicles no longer have a cable connecting the accelerator to the throttle body.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can't defy physics.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I worked with a guy that used nitrous to spool his turbos on his EVO to cut down the lag, can’t say it was a safe thing to do but his car was fast. He has it set up to spray directly into the turbine, crazy.

Sponsored

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe I'm thinking about turbo lag incorrectly. I'm open to an education.

I thought it was the lag time between stomping on the gas and the vehicle responding. Seems to be about 1 second in the Bronco. This is kind of annoying when pulling into traffic. So, I purchased a Banks Pedal Monster. I calibrated it and recalibrated. But, it still seems to still have a lag between the time I press the gas and when the vehicle responds. Granted, with the Pedal Monster it definitely picks up speed much faster when the vehicle catches. But, I thought that 1 second lag from pedal push to throttle response would be erased. Anyone with a throttle controller have the same experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Literally just got mine and installed. I think i know what you are talking about. Yeah i did expect it to erase it but i had to realize its electric not cable and that's not going to be possible really. That said, Ive only got to drive it around for about 5 mins but holy moly it helped a lot. I do wish it could go higher but max on track is just fine for me.

Afe Scorcher GT power module comes in next week.

Letagoavs710

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lol you guys really should return these gimmicks and save your cash. It’s drive by wire, you’re not going any faster. I’m being dead serious, go do a 0-60 and time it. It’ll be EXACTLY the same time with or without it. People just think they’re going faster.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In my 2017 911, when I'm in Sport + mode, I can watch the boost gauge and it will hold 1psi so the reaction of the engine is quicker to come on boost. I imagine it's the electronic waste gates being closed a bit to hold some pressure.

As far as a hyper sensitive throttle pedal, that would be the last thing I would want. I still want the pedal to be progressive and allow me to modulate the throttle easier so I don't give too much and lose control. Of course I'm talking about track driving or spirited driving on back roads.

My wife's 2022 BMW X3 with the 2L turbo engine I drive constantly in Sport mode so the transmission reacts faster and the engine comes on boost quicker. I don't have my Bronco yet, so I'm not sure if there's a sport mode to the transmission that will replicate this. I'm not sure the Pedal Monster is giving you what you're looking for (or ever will).

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my 2017 911, when I'm in Sport + mode, I can watch the boost gauge and it will hold 1psi so the reaction of the engine is quicker to come on boost. I imagine it's the electronic waste gates being closed a bit to hold some pressure.
Closed waste gates will stop the turbo from building boost but it won't hold boost once you let off the throttle..what you're describing is an anti-lag system designed to keep a turbo on boost even when the throttle is closed. Usually comes in rally cars, but is present in other vehicles (also in the BRaptor).

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Literally just got mine and installed. I think i know what you are talking about. Yeah i did expect it to erase it but i had to realize its electric not cable and that's not going to be possible really. That said, Ive only got to drive it around for about 5 mins but holy moly it helped a lot. I do wish it could go higher but max on track is just fine for me.

Afe Scorcher GT power module comes in next week.
The scorcher module is nice, I have it along with several other engine mods. It won’t do anything for you mpg, but no one bought a bronco for that.

Sponsored

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The scorcher module is nice, I have it along with several other engine mods. It won’t do anything for you mpg, but no one bought a bronco for that.
what other engine mods do you have if you dont mind me asking?

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
what other engine mods do you have if you dont mind me asking?
K&N air intake, AFe charge pipes, flow master, and the boomba throttle body extender is on the way. Looking forward to some one coming out with a down pipe for some substantial gains. I like the scorcher Bluetooth module, one bc it’s a piggy back system that doesn’t leave a trace and there are 3 connections so it’s easy to remove before a oil change and I didn’t have to run anything thru the firewall to change the modes. You will have to let me know what you think, I added the exhaust, air intake and module all at the same time and it made a big difference especially in sport mode. Sorry OP, not trying to highjack your thread

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, it seems as though these throttle controllers just modify the acceleration curve to make the vehicle more responsive, which gives the illusion of decreasing turbo lag. Guess I just need to adjust my expectations. I do like the adjusted acceleration curve, but annoying that they advertise getting rid of turbo lag.

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

K&N air intake, AFe charge pipes, flow master, and the boomba throttle body extender is on the way. Looking forward to some one coming out with a down pipe for some substantial gains. I like the scorcher Bluetooth module, one bc it’s a piggy back system that doesn’t leave a trace and there are 3 connections so it’s easy to remove before a oil change and I didn’t have to run anything thru the firewall to change the modes. You will have to let me know what you think, I added the exhaust, air intake and module all at the same time and it made a big difference especially in sport mode. Sorry OP, not trying to highjack your thread
sadly i had bad experience with flowmaster. im just going to run muffler delete and fabricate something later. I have the throttle body spacer and well i have some advice,be ready to go to the hardware store. The bolt they provide work just fine but they want you to cut you factory ones down. I dont advice that. go buy shorter similar ones to replace the old one. It felt like i messed up the threading a bit puting those cut of bolt in.

Were the charge pipes hard to install?
So, it seems as though these throttle controllers just modify the acceleration curve to make the vehicle more responsive, which gives the illusion of decreasing turbo lag. Guess I just need to adjust my expectations. I do like the adjusted acceleration curve, but annoying that they advertise getting rid of turbo lag.
I like to think of it like a videogame controller. the throttle controller basically make it where if you press a button you only have to press it a little bit to get the full action. without it you have to press the button all the way down to get the same action. So technically you will make yourself faster because you make you engine respond faster to your inputs. It doesnt make you any horse power or torque it just unlocks what was already there. At least thats my opinion.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience with these kinds of pedal/throttle commanders is with the SprintBooster product. Not advertised as power gains but it's power immediacy. Worked wonders in my tuned Saab 9-3 5-speed, so much that I purchased a new SprintBooster for the Bronco before I got my build date. I believe that if that throttle body flap is opening faster it's that much quicker to sucking in more air and getting the whole combustion thing going.

While my cars and tunes are different, the one important piece my Saab and Bronco share is the manual transmission. That may play a huge role in perception of foot modulation to physical feedback, on top of the gear ratios at play that an automatic just isn't letting you control in full. It's the weekend and I still have my Bronco's SprintBooster in its box... I'll install it this weekend and let you know if I can tell any difference.
Sponsored