dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Maybe I'm thinking about turbo lag incorrectly. I'm open to an education.

I thought it was the lag time between stomping on the gas and the vehicle responding. Seems to be about 1 second in the Bronco. This is kind of annoying when pulling into traffic. So, I purchased a Banks Pedal Monster. I calibrated it and recalibrated. But, it still seems to still have a lag between the time I press the gas and when the vehicle responds. Granted, with the Pedal Monster it definitely picks up speed much faster when the vehicle catches. But, I thought that 1 second lag from pedal push to throttle response would be erased. Anyone with a throttle controller have the same experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Turbos need time to spin up.
Sponsored

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of these devices work the same way by removing the linearity of the gas pedal. When compared to stock, these devices will “fool” the ECU into thinking that you are calling for more power at the same pedal position. You can achieve the same effect by pushing the gas pedal more in a stock vehicle. At full throttle, the power output is the same as stock. But, some people prefer the fact that you can push the pedal down 25% and achieve 75% of full power. I would much rather have a linear relationship between the pedal position and power output.

Last edited:

Letagoavs710

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, it seems as though these throttle controllers just modify the acceleration curve to make the vehicle more responsive, which gives the illusion of decreasing turbo lag. Guess I just need to adjust my expectations. I do like the adjusted acceleration curve, but annoying that they advertise getting rid of turbo lag.
All of these devices work the same way by removing the linearity of the gas pedal. When compared to stock, these devices will “fool” the ECU into thinking that you are calling for more power at the same pedal position. You can achieve the same effect by pushing gas pedal more in a stock vehicle. At full throttle, the power output is the same as stock. But, some people prefer the fact that you can push the pedal down 25% and achieve 75% of full power. I would much rather have a linear relationship between pedal position and power output.
This is exactly what I was going to respond. Pushing the pedal more is the same effect.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, it seems as though these throttle controllers just modify the acceleration curve to make the vehicle more responsive, which gives the illusion of decreasing turbo lag. Guess I just need to adjust my expectations. I do like the adjusted acceleration curve, but annoying that they advertise getting rid of turbo lag.
Don't mash the throttle from low RPM. It's a small displacement NA engine before the turbos spool and it's easy to bog it off idle. That actually slows down building boost. Roll into the throttle up to about 2k RPM, then mash. This builds mass and velocity of the exhaust gasses faster.

The other thing that works is two footing. Build boost against the brakes for a half second before you need to launch. This also takes some of the "slack" out of the suspension and allows a faster reaction time. Don't do this often, it's hard on parts.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Closed waste gates will stop the turbo from building boost but it won't hold boost once you let off the throttle..what you're describing is an anti-lag system designed to keep a turbo on boost even when the throttle is closed. Usually comes in rally cars, but is present in other vehicles (also in the BRaptor).
I looked it up:

The Porsche system sets itself apart from traditional anti-lag by not requiring additional fuel to maintain boost. No extra fuel, no fireballs. The so-called Dynamic Boost system instead uses the electronic throttle body to maintain airflow through the engine. Normally when the throttle pedal is released the throttle butterfly closes fully. Porsche’s system opens the throttle butterfly partially, maintaining some boost pressure in the intake and facilitating airflow through the engine.

This additional airflow has two primary functions. The first, and most obvious, is to facilitate spinning the turbochargers. This aids in maintaining boost pressure when off throttle. The second is to keep the intake manifold from becoming an area of negative pressure. The latter component aids in throttle response, which is valuable in a heavily turbocharged engine.

The system does have one notable downside; with the Dynamic Boost system the effect of engine braking is dramatically reduced. Remember, the system’s goal is to flow air through the engine, which effectively negates compression braking. The effect is most noticeable with the car in Sport and Sport+ modes, when the car is less likely to rely on compression braking. In situations where the effect is most pronounced the driver will primarily use the brakes to slow the car anyways.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't mash the throttle from low RPM. It's a small displacement NA engine before the turbos spool and it's easy to bog it off idle. That actually slows down building boost. Roll into the throttle up to about 2k RPM, then mash. This builds mass and velocity of the exhaust gasses faster.

The other thing that works is two footing. Build boost against the brakes for a half second before you need to launch. This also takes some of the "slack" out of the suspension and allows a faster reaction time. Don't do this often, it's hard on parts.
Interesting. That makes sense. It does feel like it bogs down slightly if I smash the gas off the line. Thanks for the advice.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just remember this is a bronco designed to do bronco things… it’s not meant to race 1/4 miles against Dom Toretto. 😀

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I'm thinking about turbo lag incorrectly. I'm open to an education.

I thought it was the lag time between stomping on the gas and the vehicle responding. Seems to be about 1 second in the Bronco. This is kind of annoying when pulling into traffic. So, I purchased a Banks Pedal Monster. I calibrated it and recalibrated. But, it still seems to still have a lag between the time I press the gas and when the vehicle responds. Granted, with the Pedal Monster it definitely picks up speed much faster when the vehicle catches. But, I thought that 1 second lag from pedal push to throttle response would be erased. Anyone with a throttle controller have the same experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I got "pedal commander" and after using it a few weeks it's 100% snake oil! I feel so stupid for getting conned. Mine is a MT and my hope was that it would speed up the throttle return, to make clutchless speed shifting easier (i can do it, but there's alot of rev hang). Man am I ever a chump! Oh well

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
sadly i had bad experience with flowmaster. im just going to run muffler delete and fabricate something later. I have the throttle body spacer and well i have some advice,be ready to go to the hardware store. The bolt they provide work just fine but they want you to cut you factory ones down. I dont advice that. go buy shorter similar ones to replace the old one. It felt like i messed up the threading a bit puting those cut of bolt in.

Were the charge pipes hard to install?

I like to think of it like a videogame controller. the throttle controller basically make it where if you press a button you only have to press it a little bit to get the full action. without it you have to press the button all the way down to get the same action. So technically you will make yourself faster because you make you engine respond faster to
sadly i had bad experience with flowmaster. im just going to run muffler delete and fabricate something later. I have the throttle body spacer and well i have some advice,be ready to go to the hardware store. The bolt they provide work just fine but they want you to cut you factory ones down. I dont advice that. go buy shorter similar ones to replace the old one. It felt like i messed up the threading a bit puting those cut of bolt in.

Were the charge pipes hard to install?

I like to think of it like a videogame controller. the throttle controller basically make it where if you press a button you only have to press it a little bit to get the full action. without it you have to press the button all the way down to get the same action. So technically you will make yourself faster because you make you engine respond faster to your inputs. It doesnt make you any horse power or torque it just unlocks what was already there. At least thats my opinion.
not hard to install. Had to remove the front skid plate and everything else was straight forward. A 90 degree battery powered impact is useful if you have one. Not a must have, but helpful

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm kinda in the same boat. I got "pedal commander" and after using it a few weeks it's 100% snake oil! I feel so stupid for getting conned. Mine is a MT and my hope was that it would speed up the throttle return, to make clutchless speed shifting easier (i can do it, but there's alot of rev hang). Man am I ever a chump! Oh well
I'm on the fence about getting a Pedal Monster. Especially with the BL & manual trans.
The Badlands doesn't have GOAT SPORT mode. I am wondering if SPORT mode adjusts the pedal response to be more responsive, similar to Pedal Monster type devices. It's all just ECU calibration INPUT : RESPONSE.

Anyone compare SPORT mode on their Manual Trans Bronco to the PM?
Ford Bronco Pedal Monster not removing turbo lag? 1662822427744

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm on the fence about getting a Pedal Monster. Especially with the BL & manual trans.
The Badlands doesn't have GOAT SPORT mode. I am wondering if SPORT mode adjusts the pedal response to be more responsive, similar to Pedal Monster type devices. It's all just ECU calibration INPUT : RESPONSE.

Ford Bronco Pedal Monster not removing turbo lag? 1662822427744
I did the forscan hack to add sport mode to my BL. W/MT those modes really don't do anything noticeable, and neither does pedal commander. I was really after quicker shifts, but because mine is still wearing in I can't tell if any of those things are making a difference, or if I have gotten used to the tranny to the point now that I'm shifting it better. It shifts very good, just not quite tremec good, and that may be as good as it gets, which is acceptable for this type of vehicle!

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All of these devices work the same way by removing the linearity of the gas pedal. When compared to stock, these devices will “fool” the ECU into thinking that you are calling for more power at the same pedal position. You can achieve the same effect by pushing the gas pedal more in a stock vehicle. At full throttle, the power output is the same as stock. But, some people prefer the fact that you can push the pedal down 25% and achieve 75% of full power. I would much rather have a linear relationship between the pedal position and power output.
I also personally feel that this thing helps with making everything easier and more fluid. I drive the 7s mt btw. i dont have to work as much.
Just remember this is a bronco designed to do bronco things… it’s not meant to race 1/4 miles against Dom Toretto. 😀
That's not going to stop me from trying.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I got "pedal commander" and after using it a few weeks it's 100% snake oil! I feel so stupid for getting conned. Mine is a MT and my hope was that it would speed up the throttle return, to make clutchless speed shifting easier (i can do it, but there's a lot of rev hang). Man am I ever a chump! Oh well
well i can tell you now that i love the pedal monster. Call it a placebo effect, but i notice a huge difference and i love the feeling it gives me. Disagree on the snake oil but i dont have a pedal commander. My brother has one on his but sadly i didnt get to really use his cause his damn exhaust fluid was low(new diesel engines man).

1662822427744.png
when i switched GOAT's i didnt really notice much difference but i believe there was some. Regardless, even if you dont have sport, it will give you what you want in normal. At least i didnt notice i was in normal again while driving until i looked down at the gauges.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's called "Turbo Lag" not "Pedal lag"

Nothing you can do about the turbo lag, they need time to spool up.

Battery Oaks Billy

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco..2022 Ford Maverick..2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Speaking from a purely Stock form. I have owned this 2.7 Outer Banks 2 door for 1 week. It is not nearly as responsive as my Maverick 2.0 that I have had for about 3 months. The 2.0 is actually a little "peaky", almost 2 stroke feel to it. The Maverick will run 108 MPH and that is IT. The Governor is not my friend. Also have a 2022 F-150 5.0. It hardly gets used with these other 2 now here.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Speaking from a purely Stock form. I have owned this 2.7 Outer Banks 2 door for 1 week. It is not nearly as responsive as my Maverick 2.0 that I have had for about 3 months. The 2.0 is actually a little "peaky", almost 2 stroke feel to it. The Maverick will run 108 MPH and that is IT. The Governor is not my friend. Also have a 2022 F-150 5.0. It hardly gets used with these other 2 now here.
Your body on frame Bronco weighs a full 1000 lbs more than your unibody Maverick. Not surprised at all. I'd have ordered a Mav if Ford would pull their heads out of their ass and offer a stick shift version.
Sponsored