R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed that RPG is about to release a perch collar leveling/lift for Sasquatch bilstein shocks. 2.25" front and 1.25" rear. Unlike a spacer lift, this preserves the factory bump stops and won't over-extend the CV. I might go this route if longer springs aren't available by the time I get my 2dr Bronco.

Ford Bronco Perch collar level / lift for Sasquatch from RPG 1629499717372

8/24/2021:

Now available. I think production model is black anodized. $249 for full set.
Ford Bronco Perch collar level / lift for Sasquatch from RPG 1629820606839

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/bronco-spring-perch-collar/

I sent an email to RPG asking about hybrid solutions combining spacers and collars. They have considered that and will work on additional solutions when they have time. They are playing it safe now with the perch collars. I did learn some interesting things:
1- there is a clearance concern between upper link and gas reservoir at full droop when using spacers on sasquatch (something to watch for if you are planning to use 1" spacers).
2 - fox replacement coilovers will provide more down-travel than sasquatch.

Update 1/29/22:

Icon and Zone both have hybrid kits available that use a combination of strut, preload, and bump stop spacers. I think these are a better solution for usable wheel travel, preventing spring damage, and improving clearance for larger tires.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EdVA

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think you could run 37” tires with this set up?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had no thought of lifting mine until you posted this. My interest is piqued.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had no thought of lifting mine until you posted this. My interest is piqued.
Ditto. This could be something. It says all shocks. Hello BL on 35s with plenty of room.

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take a look at their 2019+ Ranger suspension offerings for some clues.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unlike a spacer lift, this preserves the factory bump stops and won't over-extend the CV.
This statement cannot be true. The lower A-arm, knuckle, CV and upper A-arms relationship to each other is fixed (including the frame as the opposite to the knucle - a classic 4 linkage dynamic system) and the upper A-arm (ball joint) and CV angle are known to be the limiting factors. Unless the geometry in these 4 are altered, a spacer lift of 2 inches is the same as a spring lift, all else being equal. To make it more than 2 inches, you must make the a-arms and CV longer to keep the CVs happy.

Last edited:

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know what a spring perch height adjustment is, I have a similar system from Maximum Motorsports on the tubular front suspension system on my '91 Mustang. My point still stands. The height change has zero to do with the geometry of the suspension. In effect, they are forcing it to live closer to the stock droop maximum travel and that is what kills CVs. They did nothing to change the stock geometry. Instead of a 45" long 2x4 wedged between the a-arm and spring bucket, there is now a 48" 2x4 (WAG) equivalent.
This is why big boy pants go mid travel wide a-arm kits to go desert running with Raptors, otherwise you're walking home with a tow bill bigger than the kit would have cost you.
[Apologies if that wasn't what you intended to point out, I got annoyed earlier watching some hack Ford dealer doing a spacer lift from rough country very poorly and were calling the coil-over shocks "struts" - which are loaded members in more than the compression axis, ie. the strut dictates wheel contact geometry rather than the a-arms, knuckle and frame. I know Ford even calls them struts, incorrectly. Fox and King call them shocks, because that's what they freaking are... Bronco/Ranger shocks are NOT struts, by definition, although they carry the spring and set the height. I cannot speak to the affect on the internal bump stop, but my first blush says it doesn't, but that isn't what you quoted.]

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a terrible idea. Your shock will run toward the top of it's stroke all the time, have minimal down travel and hammer the topout bumper on every minor road dip.
I agree that the nominal position will not be centered between the bump stops, but this is how the coilover replacements work as well. It is a tradeoff. The sasquatch/BL shock bump stops are already at max articulation (max CV angle). Swaybar disconnect makes shock centering less important for rock crawl.

a spacer lift of 2 inches is the same as a spring lift, all else being equal.
No, not at max articulation with sasquatch/BL. With a spacer on sasquatch/BL, the CV angle may exceed max spec when arms are at lower bump stop (e.g. tire in the air) so you could jam up the CV and break the front end. The nominal CV angle would be the same, however. The nominal CV angle could be a wear issue, but it is commonly done.

This is why big boy pants go mid travel wide a-arm kits to go desert running with Raptors
I don't think anyone is claiming that this is for baja runners. This is a low cost mod for clearance and appearance for traditional jeeping applications.

Think you could run 37” tires with this set up?
Good question.

EDIT: RPG's answer to this question was "pictures coming soon". So maybe?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then droop straps would eliminate any risk of lunching the CVs... If droop travel is the only issue, and it's not the only issue.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This statement cannot be true. The lower A-arm, knuckle, CV and upper A-arms relationship to each other is fixed (including the frame as the opposite to the knucle - a classic 4 linkage dynamic system) and the upper A-arm (ball joint) and CV angle are known to be the limiting factors. Unless the geometry in these 4 are altered, a spacer lift of 2 inches is the same as a spring lift, all else being equal. To make it more than 2 inches, you must make the a-arms and CV longer to keep the CVs happy.
All this is doing is changing where ride height sits in the travel range. Instead of say 4" of uptravel and 4" of down, now you have something like 6" of uptravel and 2" down. Not exact numbers of course. The maximum distance the shaft droops away from the body hasn't changed.

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Then droop straps would eliminate any risk of lunching the CVs...
The intent is to keep the full safe articulation range and the damped internal bump stops of the factory bilstein coilovers. A spacer and strap can't do that.
Ford Bronco Perch collar level / lift for Sasquatch from RPG 1629527025988

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree that the nominal position will not be centered between the bump stops, but this is how the coilover replacements work as well. It is a tradeoff. The sasquatch/BL shock bump stops are already at max articulation (max CV angle). Swaybar disconnect makes shock centering less important for rock crawl.

No, not at max articulation with sasquatch/BL. With a spacer on sasquatch/BL, the CV angle may exceed max spec when arms are at lower bump stop (e.g. tire in the air) so you could jam up the CV and break the front end. The nominal CV angle would be the same, however. The nominal CV angle could be a wear issue, but it is commonly done.

The "coilovers" will have adjustments to shock body length for travel. In my opinion, CV angle concerns are played way out of proportion, especially on the Bronco. This is the most capable production IFS system ever built. If Ford will warranty CV's on a Badlands that has a SWB disconnect, a 2" spacer lift will be absolutely no problem on a non-BL Bronco. The shock itself will be the limit of travel on non-BL followed closely by the upper ball joint. I've seen several examples of this type of situation where the shock would top out on the rebound side of every speed bump in a parking lot and it was very unpleasant to ride in. If you are going to do mild to moderate off roading I think a 2" spacer on a non-Badlands is the way to go for a small lift.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so tell me if I'm missing anything?

Ride quality should be the same. ( A I'm really just moving the shaft up some) Or B will this load the shock and make the front end what to come up faster? If B is true then it should make for a softer ride when hitting a bump, harder when you hit a pot hole.

I will be more likely to hit the bump stops when hitting a pot hole and less when hitting a speed bump?
Sponsored