Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip?

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Devil's advocate here...

Isn't engine "break-in" somewhat BS?

I see taking it a bit easy for a while, but is cruising on the highway at 2500RPM really going to do anything harmful?

I've never had an engine failure in any vehicle I've owned in 30 years. And never paid much attention to "break-in"

I was also a factory-trained motorcycle mechanic in a past life, so not entirely naĂŻve in this area.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In the owners manual for my two Ford vehicles it says something to the effect of “for the first 1,000 miles drive normally at varied RPM ranges and avoid laboring the engine” which I take to mean “don’t be afraid to floor it here and there but also don’t tow 7,000 lbs”

I can’t imagine there’d be any problem taking a road trip from Iowa.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a reservation with Granger and will be coming from Utah (15 HR drive).
What are your thoughts about breaking in the engine over that long drive?

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/recommended-engine-break-in-period.1479/#:~:text=Going off the manual, from,Do not labor the engine."
I'm driving back to CA with my Granger Bronco. That's a thing now right? Granger Bronco's :)

I'm not worried about the break in at all. Will stop and get gas, see the sights. I won't redline it or use launch control (does this car have it? ) during this time :)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My plan is to drive home to MA from Stephens in WV. Going to do backroads and get the break in period over with seeing the country.

I don’t see any difference between breaking in a new vehicle on my local back roads vs someone else’s back roads.

TJ Freestone

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are a lot of gears in that new fangled transmission. I’m thinking it’s simple to vary rpm on the road trip back.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Robert, it's not as technical as the book makes it seem. I drove our new Vette home from Maryland during the break in miles, and all I did was vary the rpms by approx. 500 every 30 minutes or so. That's worked on every new car I've bought in the past. Enjoy your journey home, and don't worry. You'll be fine

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My plan is to drive home to MA from Stephens in WV. Going to do backroads and get the break in period over with seeing the country.

I don’t see any difference between breaking in a new vehicle on my local back roads vs someone else’s back roads.
+1 (currently Iowa)

Proudy202

Black Diamond
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Same here Stephens to Salem, MA...luckily the girlfriends brother lives 200 miles from Stephens over the border in Virginia and we'll be staying over with him for a few days so I'm hoping to get some good driving in and around there done...should at least get the first 500miles under my belt.