Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip?

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break in procedure for the Ranger. There’s no reason to believe the Bronco break-in process will be any different. The most important thing is to vary the engine RPM, and vehicle speed.

Ford Bronco Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip? E0414052-7C32-41EC-90CA-52D1DE7580A1

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If doing you includes spreading misinformation, I'll do me by calling you out on it.
Look man... I said “i think”... of which you said “Not at all correct. I never seen that recommended by anyone. Ever.”... of which in part It was.. I just got the numbers wrong... you then focused on the 45mph... yeah.. I was off a bit... but said I wasn’t sure on my numbers... and others replied back that the break in period was indeed on this forum... by two different sources.... I am not giving misinformation... and I never claimed to be an expert... I then also linked the links... you are being pretty harsh... but if that makes you feel good about yourself... saving Bronco6G from someone that made one comment that wasn’t exactly 100% correct... but never claimed to be... then go right ahead and wear your 6G cape... because you have a lot of work to do on this forum based on other threads I have read that had way more egregious claims and errors...

Reactions: RG7

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Look man... I said “i think”... of which you said “Not at all correct. I never seen that recommended by anyone. Ever.”... of which in part It was.. I just got the numbers wrong... you then focused on the 45mph... yeah.. I was off a bit... but said I wasn’t sure on my numbers... and others replied back that the break in period was indeed on this forum... by two different sources.... I am not giving misinformation... and I never claimed to be an expert... I then also linked the links... you are being pretty harsh... but if that makes you feel good about yourself... saving Bronco6G from someone that made one comment that wasn’t exactly 100% correct... but never claimed to be... then go right ahead and wear your 6G cape... because you have a lot of work to do on this forum based on other threads I have read that had way more egregious claims and errors...
... and I went ahead to change my original quote so it’s more accurate... you can move on to saving the day somewhere else... thanks...

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not at all correct. I never seen that recommended by anyone. Ever.
Haha. I like how you rebutted it as false before even trying to research it.

It is a thing, by the way.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

45 mph for 2000 miles? Not anybody with a modicum of sense.

Speed does not matter, load, rpm, throttle input matters.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break in procedure for the Ranger. There’s no reason to believe the Bronco break-in process will be any different. The most important thing is to vary the engine RPM, and vehicle speed.

Ford Bronco Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip? E0414052-7C32-41EC-90CA-52D1DE7580A1
So I'm new to manuals and plan on getting my Bronco with one. Under the section Brakes and Clutch, avoid using the clutch is confusing, you need to use the clutch to shift. Does it mean to avoid shifting too much for the first 100 miles?

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is super important to you huh?
Wow passionate about the proper break in rules of an engine..
I bet you’re amazing at parties..?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've never heard of anything like that either. I just did a google search as well and can't find anything. RPMs limits are most of what I've seen and none were close to the RPM you'd be at running at 45mph.

I'd be curious to see manufactures that reccomend it.

Even if it is a thing, who the hell would stay under that speed, unless they never left town?

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Typical break-in is 500 miles. 1,000, max. But I'd love to know what engines you've built to make you an expert on engine break-in. Because I'd be happy to share mine. And I have more than a modicum of sense.

Also, you're accurate in that speed indeed doesn't matter and RPMs do. But I'd argue people tend to rev to high RPMs to get to speed. And with a turbo (or two) under your pedal, I'd imagine most people are going to not tread lightly for their engine break-in.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm just going to quote myself from a previous post so I don't have to explain it twice.

Can't say for sure, but a lil' about my take...

I never was mechanically inclined until I started riding motorcycles. After my first bike, I learned what engine-break-in was and why it matters. I now take this seriously because the piston rings being broken in well, along with everything else in the engine, really determines the performance and longevity, as well as inhibits future maintenance.

That said, I'm gonna keep my first 500ish miles pretty tame. I don't think anything else needs to be delicate after that. And that's just the engine. Everything else on the vehicle should be able to take a hit right away, but if you're keeping tame for the sake of the engine for 500+ miles, the rest should be fine too.
Yeah, I also don't see this as an issue.

The thing with the bore is that it's rarely perfectly smooth, nor perfectly round. The piston, however, is machined to be. So with proper piston rings and break-in considered, the piston will shave the walls of the bore to fit and seal properly. This is best done with low RPMs and speeds because excessive heat will do the opposite.

After 500+ miles of low and slow, you change the oil and filter to get the shavings that collect, and maybe even run a different type of oil. After that, you should be good because the seal is right.

By your logic, it seems like you're saying that seal doesn't matter and that sitting in traffic, when idling would be the least stressful way to run it, would be bad?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm new to manuals and plan on getting my Bronco with one. Under the section Brakes and Clutch, avoid using the clutch is confusing, you need to use the clutch to shift. Does it mean to avoid shifting too much for the first 100 miles?
try not to do drop clutch starts or the equivalent of launch control starts.
so, don't rev to 6000 rpm and then drop the clutch into first gear.
save the drag track until after the first 1000 miles

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
try not to do drop clutch starts or the equivalent of launch control starts.
so, don't rev to 6000 rpm and then drop the clutch into first gear.
save the drag track until after the first 1000 miles
Thank you much appreciated ??

I wonder since it has a digital tac, it will automatically have a lower redline and then change to it's normal redline after the break-in period. The new Corvette has that feature and seems pretty useful.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why is there so much obsession over a break in period? Manufacturers sell millions of cars every year and people put those cars on the freeways 5 times a week at 65mph for 30 minutes each way. Use some common sense, don’t floor it, don’t rev it, drive it nice. Don’t sit at 65mph for 3 hours straight, speed up a little, slow down a little. It isn’t rocket science people.

Heebi Geebi

Wildtrak
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The ring and pinions in the diffs usually have a break in period as well to prevent work hardening of the gear teeth. Putting loads on the new teeth and high gear oil temperatures are your enemy during the first 500 miles.
After the first 20 miles pull over and let the gear oil cool. For the next 100 miles try to stay under 65 mph. Don't put heavy loads on the gears (especially by towing) until you hit 500 miles. At this point all the microscopic high spots on the gear interfaces should be smoothed out with little localized work hardening.