First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just curious if "police idle" permanently shuts off the 30 minute max idle? often times when out on offroad recoveries, we're doing heavy winching. This puts a strain on your battery. I know you can just go in and toggle it off for that "session" per say, but it auto enables next restart.

if I want to leave the bronco idle all day, I want to leave it idle all day.

I think there is some confusion between "secure idle" which is already on, and "police idle." There isn't really any good info on that.

Does anyone know if this police idle mode allows the vehicle to idle longer than 30 minutes regardless if the idle timeout is on or not? Certainly a first responder somewhere is running a newer ford with this max idle timeout disabled.

thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mrjking2000

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a “30 Min Idle” setting/feature toggle within sync, does that not do what you are asking?
that turns back on with every engine restart. but yes, it disables the timeout. i'd like to shut it off forever.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wondered if police left their vehicle running with the keys in the vehicle or had a "remote start" keeping it going...

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just curious if "police idle" permanently shuts off the 30 minute max idle? often times when out on offroad recoveries, we're doing heavy winching. This puts a strain on your battery. I know you can just go in and toggle it off for that "session" per say, but it auto enables next restart.

I think there is some confusion between "secure idle" which is already on, and "police idle." There isn't really any good info on that.

Does anyone know if this police idle mode allows the vehicle to idle longer than 30 minutes regardless if the idle timeout is on or not? Certainly a first responder somewhere is running a newer ford with this max idle timeout disabled.

thanks!
Is police idle a selection on the Bronco, or a Forescan change?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

thanks!
Police idle is not for push button start vehicles.
Ford Bronco permanently disable 30 minute idle timeout B90C30CC-DD21-43DB-A3D6-D4E02060B1DF

matteooshe

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always wondered if police left their vehicle running with the keys in the vehicle or had a "remote start" keeping it going...
We leave em running all day if we are in them. The newer fusions and explorers can not be driven away or even change gears even if it’s on and unlocked without the key in it. Goes into a Police Safe Mode. Can’t even lower a window if the doors open. Older fusions, explorers and impalas will stay on without the key in the ignition only if your lights are on stage 3 aka all the lights on so you can leave it on and have the turn key on you. Never buy a used police car as it most likely runs almost 24 hours a day.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait, what?

I knew about auto start stop, but you're saying that the Bronco won't idle for more than 30 minutes without turning itself off? Wtf!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait, what?

I knew about auto start stop, but you're saying that the Bronco won't idle for more than 30 minutes without turning itself off? Wtf!
Yep, nothing new really. Ford has had this on multiple cars since around 2018. I can be turned off just like auto start stop, except it’s through the touch screen and not a button.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep, nothing new really. Ford has had this on multiple cars since around 2018. I can be turned off just like auto start stop, except it’s through the touch screen and not a button.

Of all things.... I know this seems superficial, but I'm getting really fed up with all these small little negatives with the Bronco.

I need is 30 minutes even long enough to charge the battery after it starts?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Of all things.... I know this seems superficial, but I'm getting really fed up with all these small little negatives with the Bronco.

Had someone not mentioned the feature was even a thing, you never would’ve realized it even had it. Seems ridiculous to get fed up about it or even consider it a “negative”. Also not sure what charging the battery has to do with a 30 min max idle. This feature will never even affect 99% of bronco owners.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Half the states have laws governing idle time for commercial vehicles. CA probably also restricts vehicles like the Bronco, which then screws tge rest of tge country .... even though not idling is better for environment

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Letting your vehicle idle really isn't enough to charge your battery (if it was dead and needed a jump).

At least the 2.3 you're look at a 100a alternator that will provide roughly 40a of charge at idle.

I guess to your point - it would take 90+ minutes to charge your battery when a 20 minute drive could do the trick.

OP
OP
mrjking2000

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
good to know that "police idle" mode does nothing on a push button vehicle.

and yes, the bronco will shut down after 30 minutes of idling in park. which happened to me over the weekend while offroading. we got stuck behind a truck that was completely blocking the road, and in our attempts to recover it, we burned 90 minutes of time. by then after leaving the hazards on for an hour, (granted with LEDs the battery wasn't dead) but the cab was totally cold, and the engine had cooled off.

like I said, if i want to leave it run, i want to leave it run. without having to toggle a button every time.

if any first responders are running a newer ford and know how to defeat this forever i'd really like to know. maybe it's as simple as wedging something onto the brake pedal to keep it depressed...

OP
OP
mrjking2000

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is police idle a selection on the Bronco, or a Forescan change?
it's in forscan in the BCM. but apparently does nothing on push button rigs.
Sponsored