Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the point of this warthog? To me the bronco is an off-road vehicle. And by that I’m talking overland/rock crawling. I don’t see it as a Baja racer. I’d like to see them build an ultimate rock crawler or overlander.
which is what they are doing with the warthog. methinks ford is planning it to be a master of all trades
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the point of this warthog? To me the bronco is an off-road vehicle. And by that I’m talking overland/rock crawling. I don’t see it as a Baja racer. I’d like to see them build an ultimate rock crawler or overlander.

I think the warthog will have some sort of factory long travel suspension. The long travel will allow more wheel travel and articulation thus keeping the wheels on the ground over rutted / in even terrain. Also I would think that additional frame strengthening will be on the warthog.

I have been wheeling my long travel tacoma for the past 10 years, it does amazingly well in the rocks as well. It is not just for going fast through the desert.

I although companies like Camburg, LSK will probably offer long travel kits for the bronco (eventually), I speculate that the ford might offer this from the factory with this mystery model.

texheim

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Stage 2
Your Bronco Model
Base

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm far more curious what motor it gets (3.5 maybe?)

As for width...

WildTrack is 6' 3" wide
Warthog is 6' 9" wide

that is literally 3" on each side...barely noticeable unless side by side IMHO basically the width of an iPhone.

Build your look, Bushwacker Fender Flares run from 2-3.5" widths on each side, then toss on backspacers and a 35x13.5 tire, same look :)
I think 3.0 is more likely. Can make 400/400.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Keep in mind that the track width is not outside to outside. "Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels point straight ahead. Measure across the tires on one axle from the outside of the tread on one tire to the inside of the tread on the tire on the other side of the vehicle, using a tape measure. This measurement is the track width. " The Raptor track width is 73.9" the Bronco is 65". No way is the Warthog going to be wider than the Raptor.

Sponsored

cactus_jack

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so... more pictures of things we can't buy. Great.

grinnergetter

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 SD, 73 F250, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why in almost every thread someone asks a question about new info that is ALREADY in the first post? READ !!!!

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree "What is the point of this warthog?"
Wider width=Scratch magnet on brushy trails
Disadvantage navigating tight trails

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Keep in mind that the track width is not outside to outside. "Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels point straight ahead. Measure across the tires on one axle from the outside of the tread on one tire to the inside of the tread on the tire on the other side of the vehicle, using a tape measure. This measurement is the track width. " The Raptor track width is 73.9" the Bronco is 65". No way is the Warthog going to be wider than the Raptor.
We're not talking about track width here. We don't have a good estimation of what that would be anyway. All we have is the known quantity of the TJ and Warthog tire tracks in the sand. Those tracks will be representative of the overall width of the vehicle (assumption #1).

The overall width of the 2020 Raptor appears to be 86.3" with the mirrors folded. That puts the Raptor at 3" wider than this theoretical, guesstimate of the Warthog width.

HOWEVER, If the folded mirrors stick out at all, the overall width at the tires might be slightly less than that (assumption #2). Could they stick out as much as 1.5" on each side? If so, suddenly it's plausible that maybe the Warthog is actually just about the same width. It may even be running Raptor suspension, at least, control arms and CVs.

That would be pretty damn cool. See Tundra swaps in the Toyota world and Titan Swaps in the Nissan world.

Disclaimer: I'm just having fun with numbers here. In the end, we're guessing off a picture of tire tracks in the sand. Who the hell knows what the Warthog will eventually be.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Whats the point of the Raptor, we already have the F-150, same as the Warthog, Ford Corporate Profit$$$$$$$$

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We're not talking about track width here. We don't have a good estimation of what that would be anyway. All we have is the known quantity of the TJ and Warthog tire tracks in the sand. Those tracks will be representative of the overall width of the vehicle (assumption #1).

The overall width of the 2020 Raptor appears to be 86.3" with the mirrors folded. That puts the Raptor at 3" wider than this theoretical, guesstimate of the Warthog width.

HOWEVER, If the folded mirrors stick out at all, the overall width at the tires might be slightly less than that (assumption #2). Could they stick out as much as 1.5" on each side? If so, suddenly it's plausible that maybe the Warthog is actually just about the same width. It may even be running Raptor suspension, at least, control arms and CVs.

That would be pretty damn cool. See Tundra swaps in the Toyota world and Titan Swaps in the Nissan world.

Disclaimer: I'm just having fun with numbers here. In the end, we're guessing off a picture of tire tracks in the sand. Who the hell knows what the Warthog will eventually be.
For giggles I just measured my Raptor from the edge of the tread to the edge of the tread. It's 83". I see a couple of possibilities. #1 the Warthog will have more suspension travel than the Raptor due to longer control arms and rear coils. #2 this is just a mule with a mix of test parts. What has be baffled is the Ranger frame is about 12" narrower than the Raptor. That means that the control arms and wheel offset need to make up about 6" per side. It will be interesting to follow the progress.
Sponsored