First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are my impressions after my first bit of light off-roading and "overlanding" (aka car camping).

First my Bronco stats:
Bone stock, 2D, Badlands, manual, non-sasquatch.

The trail is very easy, but is part of the Jeep Badge of Honor trail system.

It was so easy that I passed a stock Jeep Renegade going the other direction. It might be more difficult after some heavy rain.

As is, I didn't air down or anything like that, and really didn't need to be out of 2H for any of it, but I wanted to cycle through everything so I did use a little of everything.

It was still a fun and a good trail to break-in a new vehicle. The campground on the other end was adequate and about 12 miles from a little town, but really about 2 miles from people's back yards.

After 1k miles I'm getting 21.3 MPG using 87 at the pump. I'm learning what I don't like about the Bronco.

I hate the vinyl seats. I knew I would, but after realizing that I can get aftermarket leather in any color I want for cheaper than factory black leather, I decided to give the vinyl a shot. I guess people like them, but not for me. My first and possibly only mod will be aftermarket leather probably with cooling.

I found the GOAT modes to be more annoying than anything. I really don't like scrolling and that it isn't a continuous scroll loop at that. I also really didn't like that I couldn't leave it in a mode and just change certain things. Like you can't switch to 4H while in Rock Crawl mode.

I found that I preferred to just leave it in normal mode and select traction and lockers independently.

I've found that the phone charging tub is not charging more than it is, which maybe is preventing my phone from getting hot, so I'm not too concerned about it right now but it's something I'm watching.

I also just noticed a lot of build quality issues. Body panels not lining up perfectly, rough cuts of plastic etc. Things that are not bad enough to take to the dealer, but things that are there none the less.

Over all I'm a totally happy Bronco owner so save the "If you hate it so much why don't you sell it" comments.

My "overlanding" set up is far from professional but for stuff I already owned its a good start.

Enjoy some visual aides.

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands 6CC3328A-D341-49ED-9A40-DD92B3CED481.JPG

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands B474E452-4052-4748-A995-B5E46C71AAE5.JPG

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands IMG_3344

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands IMG_3381
Sponsored

Last edited:

knownhuman

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Peter’s Mill was the first place I took mine to, too - ironically with a buddy driving a slightly built-up Jeep Renegade.

For a Bronco the trail is pretty easy and for the most part and, like you, only tweaked my GOAT modes to play with them. One thing I did learn on that trail that I wasn't aware of is, that if you use one of the GOAT modes (like Mud/Ruts), you can use your front-facing camera at faster than 7 MPH. I tried just shifting to 4H and running the front cam, but it kept shutting off.

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands 20220404_103213

Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands on the trail

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you take out your back seats? Looks like you have quite a bit of stuff in there.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know it’s a trick of the light, but really digging the “floating roof” look in that photo across the water. Silver roof and black pillars.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I felt the same about the GOAT modes. Winter wheeling I just left it in 4lo normal so I could turn the front locker on and off at will.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
looks like the exact setup I would want. What don’t you like about the MGV seats though?

LAN02

Black Diamond
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Peters Mill was my first trip with my Bronco as well. I enjoy this trail. I have been going a few times a month (during warmer months) for years, the trail definitely changes a bit after a rain.
Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands 7BECA72F-3330-4D45-BD54-02E3C934D564
Ford Bronco Peters Mill Run: 1st "overlanding" trip experience in 2-door Badlands E9786947-A18D-45BE-8EBA-86DBD9D3E45A

OP
OP
Bronc_Bronc

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you take out your back seats? Looks like you have quite a bit of stuff in there.
No my seats are just folded down. The cooler is on the orange box because that is more or less level with the seat back folded forward.

I don't mind that there is a hump/step up, but it would be really nice if the seat folded level....

I love the Rovr cooler, but its massive for the 2D... worth the compromise for me though as I can stack all that gear on it to get it in and out of my apt in one trip.

OP
OP
Bronc_Bronc

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
looks like the exact setup I would want. What don’t you like about the MGV seats though?
They really are just vinyl seats, and black to boot.

They don't breath at all so even in moderate to cool temps my back and butt sweat to the point of making my clothes damp. (I'm not a sweaty person either.)

For water proofness, they don't really have any advantage over leather either, probably even less. If you're treating these like water proof seats there plenty of places for water to get past the vinyl into the foam, to then get trapped in there for longer than it would in non vinyl seats.

Good floor mats and waterproof seat covers for days you know you're going to get extra dirty > vinyl seats and floors.

Sponsored

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I need to take the drive out to this place and check it out. I shouldn't have any issues with a SAS Wildtrak right? Haven't done a ton of off-roading since my younger, less conservative days, but still understand the basics.

OP
OP
Bronc_Bronc

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need to take the drive out to this place and check it out. I shouldn't have any issues with a SAS Wildtrak right? Haven't done a ton of off-roading since my younger, less conservative days, but still understand the basics.
You won't have any problems at all.

You could probably put it in 4H and leave it there for the whole trail. A few branches might tickle your paint, but nothing came close to touching my undercarriage.

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You won't have any problems at all.

You could probably put it in 4H and leave it there for the whole trail. A few branches might tickle your paint, but nothing came close to touching my undercarriage.
Nice. Looking for something to ease the wife into it. I need to get some things bought/installed/stowed still for any serious offroading but looking for somewhere easy-ish (that's legal). Seems like a good spot for that.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a nice trail! Our minivan made it without any fuss! As well as flag pole.

A32DF9CD-C964-4392-B0ED-ED5AAB527639.jpeg

DD301053-310F-4887-99BA-63CB55B65337.jpeg

F0FCE9C4-E985-479C-B763-B618680867F8.jpeg

D9678247-BC49-4716-B13C-BF7AC973AD8D.jpeg

pazabo

Badlands
First Name
Pawel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

I'm hopefully picking up my 2dr Badlands today as well, so I've been wondering if you have any regrets on the non-sasquatch?

Your boxes seem to neatly fit in the cargo area, did you specifically pick them for that? Any recommendations?
Sponsored