First Name
Dman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/is-this-a-prototype-of-the-ford-bronco-plug-in-hybrid/amp/

More than one possible Ford Bronco plug-in hybrid model has been spotted by Ford Authority spies in recent months, including what appeared to be a Ford Bronco Raptor PHEV (formerly known as the Warthog) back in March, as well as a possible electrified Bronco Everglades this past June. Both of those prototypes wore an orange high voltage (HV) cable, typically used in hybrid vehicles, and now, Ford Authority spies have spotted yet another possible Ford Bronco plug-in hybrid driving around Metro Detroit.

-Hybrid-PHEV-Prototype-Spy-Shots-November-2021-002.jpg

This two-door Badlands model certainly has a couple of unusual features, including the spray-painted “tow hooks” in the front bumper that are in fact open-ended. What signals that this could be a potential PHEV, however, is the conveniently-placed camo located on the rear passenger side of the Bronco. This small piece of camo could be concealing a possible charging port location, but that’s pure speculation, of course.

-Hybrid-PHEV-Prototype-Spy-Shots-November-2021-007.jpg
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Authority is really milking this rattle-can Bronco spy footage. Search through the forum (Rattle-can will probably work) for past articles attributed to this Bronco. I'm going to guess it was 6 months ago the last time and 3 months before that.

Sponsored

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would be very interested in an OBX SAS PHEV.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far - ALL ford PHEV's and EV's have had the charge port on the front driver fender..... just sayin'
Also - unless the port is a giant circle the size of that sticker they’re not opening that “port”

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I do think a PHEV will happen, this seems like an even bigger stretch than usual for Ford Authority.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since I am out of the running for a Year 1 or Year 2 Bronco, or even BSport, due to finances...
Gives me hope PHEV version may be out when I am ready to buy.

If I can get 15-20mi out of the EV side of things, it actually makes the MPG viable.
Can go electric for all my 'around town' riding, as I work remotely so no commuting needs.
Save that precious gas for adventures.

cjohns716

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Posting to let out some of my "frustrations". Really liked the Bronco since it was announced. I wanted a Wrangler when I first moved to CO, but at that point, went with an Outback due to MPG for skiing vs how much I actually needed a Wrangler, plus the safety aspect when I expected to keep the car until it died and thought I may have kids.

Fast forward 7 years, the Bronco is out, I do want something more capable than the Outback, and kids are most likely out. But still, the MPG. A bit less of a concern now that I'm most likely rarely if ever going into an office again (thanks Covid!), but 160 mile trips to ski every weekend, 6+mpg adds up quick.

I haven't been able to find one at a dealer to go look at, but did find a great guy on here who lives a block away (small world). He offered to pop over to let me look at his. And I'm now more smitten than ever. Also, how awesome is the Bronco community? He came to my house, showed me all the features, took me for a drive to show me the 2.3 is peppy, even at altitude, offered to help me install stuff. Just warms my heart.

Which leads me here, to the hybrid Bronco. The best of both worlds. Range and power. Better fuel economy, still with an absolute beast of a vehicle. But it's now 2022 with no more firm information than we had before. Latest I've seen from those who keep closer tabs on news than I do is probably MY2024. I don't understand how this isn't a top priority for Ford. Tons of low end torque, good for off-road. Demonstrate that hybrid can work for some of the most demanding vehicle uses. Improve gas mileage, which my guess is the #1 complain about vehicles like these.

Maybe it's a good thing. It'll give me time to save some $$$. And for interest rates to come back down.

Anyway, I was just so excited after finally getting to sit in one, ride in one, check out all the nifty features, my impatience is going to be my downfall. But I just don't want to justify a regular ICE one. The future is electric. A hybrid is a great in-between option and also better for what I'd use it for. Patience young padawan.

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Posting to let out some of my "frustrations". Really liked the Bronco since it was announced. I wanted a Wrangler when I first moved to CO, but at that point, went with an Outback due to MPG for skiing vs how much I actually needed a Wrangler, plus the safety aspect when I expected to keep the car until it died and thought I may have kids.

Fast forward 7 years, the Bronco is out, I do want something more capable than the Outback, and kids are most likely out. But still, the MPG. A bit less of a concern now that I'm most likely rarely if ever going into an office again (thanks Covid!), but 160 mile trips to ski every weekend, 6+mpg adds up quick.

I haven't been able to find one at a dealer to go look at, but did find a great guy on here who lives a block away (small world). He offered to pop over to let me look at his. And I'm now more smitten than ever. Also, how awesome is the Bronco community? He came to my house, showed me all the features, took me for a drive to show me the 2.3 is peppy, even at altitude, offered to help me install stuff. Just warms my heart.

Which leads me here, to the hybrid Bronco. The best of both worlds. Range and power. Better fuel economy, still with an absolute beast of a vehicle. But it's now 2022 with no more firm information than we had before. Latest I've seen from those who keep closer tabs on news than I do is probably MY2024. I don't understand how this isn't a top priority for Ford. Tons of low end torque, good for off-road. Demonstrate that hybrid can work for some of the most demanding vehicle uses. Improve gas mileage, which my guess is the #1 complain about vehicles like these.

Maybe it's a good thing. It'll give me time to save some $$$. And for interest rates to come back down.

Anyway, I was just so excited after finally getting to sit in one, ride in one, check out all the nifty features, my impatience is going to be my downfall. But I just don't want to justify a regular ICE one. The future is electric. A hybrid is a great in-between option and also better for what I'd use it for. Patience young padawan.
Agreed with you 100%.

However we got 16mpg or so in our 2012 4-Door Wrangler and are getting 21mpg+ in our ICE 2.3L Bronco (which is way more peppy as well). Very happy with that!
Sponsored