Sponsored

Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1600828086992.jpeg
1600827773269.jpeg
1600827901251.jpeg
1600827935733.jpeg

Cactuses are not always green. They can be gray. Just like roses aren’t always red.
You'll also notice that they also have green and/or blue undertones which also plays a part in how the gray appears (how dark the gray is). You'd be surprised what is in some of these solid (non-pearl) basic colors to achieve their look.
There were times when I mixed certain colors I thought there was no way it was going to be close, but once you removed the can from the shaker/mixer and popped the lid, there is was.

The color Gray isn't just white and black in varying amounts. It can have blues, greens, reds, or yellows in it to achieve the desired appearance/tone and how dark or light it is also comes into play.

They start 'tinting' (adding colors to) the main formula to see how it reacts to the tinting color they used and how it looks once sprayed on a test panel. The panels can also have multiple 'stages' on it where they mask off each attempt before spraying the next one with a different amount of that 'tint color' for comparison.

Sometimes it can take quite a bit to change and others just a little will have a huge effect. This is what is more than likely what is or has been (for all we know) going on with Catus Gray.

On a similar note but somewhat tangent. I still have the 12x12 test panel I made when I went to training school on repairing the Cadillac Alante tri-pearl white. (does this give away my age? )

It's stashed away in storage, but it is a panel where we sprayed the sealer then white base color. Then we masked off a portion of the base color and sprayed the first coat of pearl and repeated this 2 more times with the pearl. When all the pearl was sprayed we unmasked the panel and sprayed 2 coats of clearcoat. The change in how it looked from stage to stage was eye opening.
It went from a clean vibrant pearl white to a darker some what muddied pearl white. (it was also a pain in the arse to blend out on paint repairs because of this)
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And where can I get these at for myself? Those would look great framed all next to one another!
You could probably take the paint codes to a local body shop and have them do spray out cards. Not sure on cost since they would have to make up
Where is the Cactus Gray?
I want to say bad things about it and love on it at the same time, but you have denied me.
Waiting for Ford to get their shit together and release the mix formula to the paint companies. I would have to imagine the mix formula would be published by the time build and price opens.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going to have my body shop do 3 more sets of these without the Bronco logo. I want to love Area 51 but something about it just pisses me off. Told them to add some pearl to it and see what that does. Hopefully have another batch to show off in a week or so. Waiting on metal shop to punch out some more cards.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd imagine the CG color is driving the re-formulators crazy with batch-to-batch consistency. Any slight variation and touch ups/recoats look hideous to match.

It's what happens to super light, coatings that lack hue.

Sponsored

YetiBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Top row left to right: Oxford White (YZ), Area 51 (KU), Carbonized Grey Metallic (M7), Velocity Blue Tri-coat (E7)
Second row: Cyber Orange (SB), Race Red (PQ), Iconic Silver Metallic (JS), Shadow Black/Absolute Black (G1)
Third Row: Rapid Red/Lucid Red Tri-coat (D4), Kodiak Brown (J1), Anitmatter Blue Metallic (HX)

Missing Cactus Grey. Axalta still doesn't have mix formula. All spray outs were on 6000 series aluminum with normal prime, seal, color, clear procedures. Materials were all Spies Hecker. We had a local sign guy make some bronco vinyl decals which we used a contrast color under the top.

ETA: Saw a couple threads talking about Antimatter Blue and tried to get a couple different shots. It's a real bitch to get it to "change colors" . The first pic is against a grey wall held almost flat, looks black, eh? Second is it at an angle with office "daylight" led overhead to show it really is a deep navy/blue. We don't have any good sun today but the angle you are looking from makes a big difference in what color you think it is.

Ford Bronco Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco. CEC968E8-A620-4922-9CF1-FEAE250BD68A

Ford Bronco Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco. CEC968E8-A620-4922-9CF1-FEAE250BD68A

Thank you for taking the time to do this but I think cactus gray is missing?

YetiBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Area 51. It is really plain, may have the guys spray another one with some metallic just to see the difference.

Sounds like it’s possible to spray a metallic over a factory color to change the effect? is the same work involved as repainting the whole car?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like it’s possible to spray a metallic over a factory color to change the effect? is the same work involved as repainting the whole car?
They will mix some pearl in with the tint/base/color then clear over like normal. Should give it a subtle color change effect depending on light and angle you are viewing from.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pulled the Color & Trim book to compare with the cards my body guys made. Again, AB is a biatch to get light right to see the color and compare metallic content. Oxford White in the book is way off compared to my card. We've sprayed this color a bazillion times so I'm going to say mine is right and the sample in the book is off. All in all, most of the others were pretty close.

absoluteblack.jpg

Antimatterblue.jpg

Area51.jpg

Carbonizedgrey.jpg

Cyberorange.jpg

Iconicsilver.jpg

Oxfordwhite.jpg

Racered.jpg

Rapidred.jpg

Velocityblue.jpg

c2one

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Lightning Blue next?

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All in all, most of the others were pretty close.
First....really nice work & you're great to share it. So...am I looking at 2 samples here...the one you painted & one from the book?
Ford Bronco Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco. 1600959174738

Iconic Silver seems to show a little variance above...but a lot of variance from the production line shot from earlier this week; thoughts?

Ford Bronco Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco. 1600959310061

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man... every time I think I’m sold on AMB, something like this pops up and it just looks black.
Yea, I wish there was more blue in AMB to make it pop more. I've been on Big Bend forever and would go with A51, but now may backup to Base which then I would go with AMB. I always told myself my next vehicle would be black but strayed away. Maybe AMB will satisfy my want for black but yet blue enough for my mood change.

YetiBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pulled the Color & Trim book to compare with the cards my body guys made. Again, AB is a biatch to get light right to see the color and compare metallic content. Oxford White in the book is way off compared to my card. We've sprayed this color a bazillion times so I'm going to say mine is right and the sample in the book is off. All in all, most of the others were pretty close.

Ford Bronco Photos of current production colors that will be offered on Bronco. 1600959310061

Do you happen to know the difference between magnetic gray and carbonized gray?

American Sender

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco and 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cactuses are not always green. They can be gray. Just like roses aren’t always red.
The top two look more like Agave Gray and Sedum Gray. The bottom two are definitely Cactus Gray.
Sponsored