dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Lancer
Clubs

I've been looking for images of hard shell rooftop tents on 2door jeeps, and I just don't see them. Looks like all the options available have a foot or two of overhang on the door.
Youtube 'overlanding'. Check out trailrecon channel.

cowinsawdents

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
It's warmer, less bugs, setup and teardown goes quick, everything you need is ready to go and in the tent. If you car camp, it is a great alternative.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For me it's the ability to pull off at hwy rest stops and truck stops and catch some z's. For actual camping, it's whatever.
A roof top tent will likely be used more.
A hardshell even more, since it only takes 2 minutes to open and close.
I often drive the 800 miles from Detroit to Boston. It is just long enough that is it hard to make it alone in one day without really pushing it it.

A roof top tent in theory would really help.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've been looking for images of hard shell rooftop tents on 2door jeeps, and I just don't see them. Looks like all the options available have a foot or two of overhang on the door.
Same issue for me. Not seeing too much for 2-doors. Most every image that I see is a 4-door.
I do think the fold out ones will work OK with 2-doors because they have 1/2 the footprints of the hard shells that do not flip over.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / 00 TJ
Not a fan of them. You have to be parked perfectly level or sleeping sucks and they obstruct the open roof. I would rather have a cage rack for gear.
And you have to fold it up for a beer run

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 05 Trailblazer
Clubs

I'm looking at a soft shell RTT rather than a hard shell. Even a "queen size" only requires about 6 feet of roof length and opens up from 6'x4' to 6'x8'ish. Set up on those is only a few minutes more than a hard shell but a ton more room.

Roof top tents are awesome if you're road tripping where camp won't be in the same place for more than a night or two. They get you up off the ground so getting washed out by rain or bothered by critters is less of an issue. I have debated putting my new one on an off-road trailer so that I can just hook up and go on a whim rather than on a rack.

OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Outer Banks
First Name
Stephen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
i've been seeing a lot of promo stuff on the icamper, i need to shoot them a email and see if they have any plans for the 2 door. ill keep everyone interested posted.

Advertisement

Advertisement