Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been looking for images of hard shell rooftop tents on 2door jeeps, and I just don't see them. Looks like all the options available have a foot or two of overhang on the door.
Youtube 'overlanding'. Check out trailrecon channel.

cowinsawdents

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE, 19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's warmer, less bugs, setup and teardown goes quick, everything you need is ready to go and in the tent. If you car camp, it is a great alternative.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me it's the ability to pull off at hwy rest stops and truck stops and catch some z's. For actual camping, it's whatever.
A roof top tent will likely be used more.
A hardshell even more, since it only takes 2 minutes to open and close.
I often drive the 800 miles from Detroit to Boston. It is just long enough that is it hard to make it alone in one day without really pushing it it.

A roof top tent in theory would really help.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been looking for images of hard shell rooftop tents on 2door jeeps, and I just don't see them. Looks like all the options available have a foot or two of overhang on the door.
Same issue for me. Not seeing too much for 2-doors. Most every image that I see is a 4-door.
I do think the fold out ones will work OK with 2-doors because they have 1/2 the footprints of the hard shells that do not flip over.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

He has a 4 door, not a 2 door.
Yea hard to find a 2-door overlanding, mostly because of the space a 4-door offers. But it can still be done with a 2-door. That is my plan.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not a fan of them. You have to be parked perfectly level or sleeping sucks and they obstruct the open roof. I would rather have a cage rack for gear.
And you have to fold it up for a beer run

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking at a soft shell RTT rather than a hard shell. Even a "queen size" only requires about 6 feet of roof length and opens up from 6'x4' to 6'x8'ish. Set up on those is only a few minutes more than a hard shell but a ton more room.

Roof top tents are awesome if you're road tripping where camp won't be in the same place for more than a night or two. They get you up off the ground so getting washed out by rain or bothered by critters is less of an issue. I have debated putting my new one on an off-road trailer so that I can just hook up and go on a whim rather than on a rack.

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i've been seeing a lot of promo stuff on the icamper, i need to shoot them a email and see if they have any plans for the 2 door. ill keep everyone interested posted.

Sponsored

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am also ordering 2dr Bronco and looking in to RTTs. Two limitations are dynamic load weight (110lbs) with OEM roof rails and length on a 2dr. I think the 110lb restriction will limit over 80 percent of the options out there. I am very interested in a company named GFC (Go Fast Camping) that is making an 80lb RTT named Super Light. It is, however, 90 inches long.

I would also love to know the length of the 2dr rooftop and whether this tent will fit. I emailed the company GFC and they were not sure if it would fit or not.

Ford Bronco Photoshop - ROOF top tent on two door Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.24.02 PM

Funksurfsoul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am also ordering 2dr Bronco and looking in to RTTs. Two limitations are dynamic load weight (110lbs) with OEM roof rails and length on a 2dr. I think the 110lb restriction will limit over 80 percent of the options out there. I am very interested in a company named GFC (Go Fast Camping) that is making an 80lb RTT named Super Light. It is, however, 90 inches long.

I would also love to know the length of the 2dr rooftop and whether this tent will fit. I emailed the company GFC and they were not sure if it would fit or not.
I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a 2 door RTT as well.
almost all hard shell ones I’ve seen look like they will hang off the back or the sides of the 2 door.
I’m looking for something thats been designed better with a smaller profile/footprint. I’ll be going mod top (and it would be pretty cool to have the gunner hatch usable with the right RTT)
At this point, so far a couple that I’ve looked at are the ikamper skycamp mini, or the one that they have shown on the overland build. But neither of those are the clam shell style. Hopefully some of the after market have it on their radar

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a 2 door RTT as well.
almost all hard shell ones I’ve seen look like they will hang off the back or the sides of the 2 door.
I’m looking for something thats been designed better with a smaller profile/footprint. I’ll be going mod top (and it would be pretty cool to have the gunner hatch usable with the right RTT)
At this point, so far a couple that I’ve looked at are the ikamper skycamp mini, or the one that they have shown on the overland build. But neither of those are the clam shell style. Hopefully some of the after market have it on their radar
Just looked up the ikamper mini and it looks nice and the right size. The 125lbs would put us over on the factory roof rails (I don’t think the overland rig is allowable either) It’s embarrassing that the ikamper photos show this RTT on MINI Coopers and our Broncos are up against such tight weight restrictions,; roof rails and total payload. I share other people’s concerns on this and would like a little more info from Ford.

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take in to account 2 door bronco has 4 feet from seatback to the back door with rear seats removed and the the doors are 4 feet minus slant of the front windshield should have 7.5 feet of room space but might need aftermarket roof rack
Sponsored