Sponsored

Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie !

Ashventure

Base
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wish I had found this thread sooner! going to have to take mine in for repairs for this same issue. Drove it home on lunch and coolant sprayed everywhere inside the engine bay… Such a mess.. At least I can let the dealer know to have them keep an eye out on future Broncos or better yet hopefully get @Ford Motor Company to get this issue fixed before it happens to any more Broncos.

Danzer

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
the pic is a little deceiving as the 90 angle of the hose is about 2 above the pully

Ford Bronco Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie ! 4ADDAF99-B054-4FB1-95D2-204ADF391419

Ford Bronco Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie ! 4ADDAF99-B054-4FB1-95D2-204ADF391419

I just checked mine also and have the same “widget” also. Build date 10/20 Outer Banks tow package

JimiVegas

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This video kind of reminds of that. I really hope it isn't a design flaw. I mean at least we can tie the hose away from the pulley. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Quick 11/23 update to give Ford some credit:

After reaching out to me on here, Ford did double my factory warranty and also sent me a debit card for the hotel and flight expenses that I asked them to reimburse, which was north of a grand. I'm actually pleased with the response. (y)

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not sure if this pulley/coolant hose issue has been resolved, but I climbed up on my Bronco to see how close the hoses are to all of the moving parts. It is so difficult to see what is going on there because the 2.7L Ecoboost Engine left very little room under the hood.

Here are photos of what I can see:
Ford Bronco Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie ! 1649611181649

Ford Bronco Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie ! 1649611233130

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what you are trying to communicate but your message is not getting through. In the top photo it looks like clearance between hose and pulley with belt on it. I have no clue what the bottom photo shows.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am not sure if this pulley/coolant hose issue has been resolved, but I climbed up on my Bronco to see how close the hoses are to all of the moving parts. It is so difficult to see what is going on there because the 2.7L Ecoboost Engine left very little room under the hood.

Here are photos of what I can see:
Ford Bronco Picked her up today and stranded due to coolant leak. RESOLVED: Secure your coolant hose with a ziptie ! 1649611233130

Looks close... Get out your zip ties!

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what you are trying to communicate but your message is not getting through. In the top photo it looks like clearance between hose and pulley with belt on it. I have no clue what the bottom photo shows.
Well, I guess a picture doesn't paint a thousand words after all.

My first sentence stated that I was not sure if this issue was resolved. So I decided to share images from my Bronco with the group.

It does in fact looks like the hoses are NOT rubbing the pulley to me as well, but I have no way of knowing if Ford had resolved the issue because I can not get my hand in there to see if there is a fastener which has secured the hose from contacting the pulley.

The bottom photo shows the pulley with a hose near it. I am not a professional photographer and did not feel that I had to make apologies for posting an image that didn't meet the groups technical requirements. I make no apologies.

SO, I took these photos to share with those in the tread.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks close... Get out your zip ties!
Thank you for your kind reply. Since I cannot get my hand in there, I will stop by the Ford Dealership and ask them to look at it. The mechanics there are really very helpful.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, I guess a picture doesn't paint a thousand words after all.

My first sentence stated that I was not sure if this issue was resolved. So I decided to share images from my Bronco with the group.

It does in fact looks like the hoses are NOT rubbing the pulley to me as well, but I have no way of knowing if Ford had resolved the issue because I can not get my hand in there to see if there is a fastener which has secured the hose from contacting the pulley.

The bottom photo shows the pulley with a hose near it. I am not a professional photographer and did not feel that I had to make apologies for posting an image that didn't meet the groups technical requirements. I make no apologies.

SO, I took these photos to share with those in the tread.
Regardless of whether Ford has systematically fixed this issue, there's always the chance a few still get missed. I never updated this thread with my theory but after noticing the intercooler hoses were dated several months newer than my blend date, I have decided what probably happened is the assembly line secured that hose properly but when my Bronco went through the mod center for the top "replacement" they also did a few other part updates and did not secure that coolant hose properly after putting in the newer intercooler hose to which is was supposed to secure.

Extremejojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You never expect this to happen to you but I had the exact same issue yesterday. Took delivery of my new 22 2.7L Wildtrak. Came with 12 miles on the odometer so I assumed it was good to go signed the papers and put on my shades and headed out....Made it 2 redlights down the road ~2 miles and then a steam explosion happened while sitting at a redlight. Pulled over and called the dealership, had me drive it the 2 miles back to their service center. Lo and behold the exact same hose came off spewing coolant all over my engine and my reservoir was completely drained. Fast forward 3 hours waiting in the service center and they cant get the stock hose to stay on anymore as it was warped with heat so they had to put out a BOLO for a new hose(eta 2-5 days)....lets hope this is the only issue and there wasn't another root cause. Moral of the story test drive your new vehicle before you sign the papers!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man I was hoping they had addressed this. Plan on looking at this before I drive it off the lot but would prefer to at least make it home before I have to be a grease monkey on a brand new vehicle.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You never expect this to happen to you but I had the exact same issue yesterday. Took delivery of my new 22 2.7L Wildtrak. Came with 12 miles on the odometer so I assumed it was good to go signed the papers and put on my shades and headed out....Made it 2 redlights down the road ~2 miles and then a steam explosion happened while sitting at a redlight. Pulled over and called the dealership, had me drive it the 2 miles back to their service center. Lo and behold the exact same hose came off spewing coolant all over my engine and my reservoir was completely drained. Fast forward 3 hours waiting in the service center and they cant get the stock hose to stay on anymore as it was warped with heat so they had to put out a BOLO for a new hose(eta 2-5 days)....lets hope this is the only issue and there wasn't another root cause. Moral of the story test drive your new vehicle before you sign the papers!
Sorry to hear that! Sounds like yours might have been a loose clamp rather than an unsecured hose if they were able to attempt to reuse the hose. Mine had a hole chewed through it. Clamps that were not released to the compression position were also an issue early on and I'm sure will still show up periodically with ford's excellent QC.

chuthis

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just checked our 22 BL that we took home a few weeks ago and the same hose was unsecured and sitting maybe an 1/8” away from the pulley. Needless to say I went ahead and added a zip tie.

Appreciate the informative threads like these!

Has anyone had any issues with their zip ties melting or are they all holding up well? Not sure how hot those hoses get…
Sponsored