Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Rapid Red like you and that Jeep's color is sooooo beautiful. I love that wine blood color.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thinking of getting a bronco for myself but always curious about the debate between jeep and Ford.

Question on the bronco:

How long did you wait fr. Initial spec to picking up at dealership (granted it was probably before COVID), all in total time?

Can you change it if you don't like it upon arrival, or will they keep your $500 deposit?

Question on the jeep:

From family/friends who own these, I've heard numerous observations of road noise, above 30mph even. I imagine those sweet wheels probably add more, can you confirm how much you get compared to other cars? I wonder if on the newer models they've worked on that or if road noise damper is an add-on they just failed to get....and if this add-on does exist, how much does it help with the road noise (particularly with these tires or Thompsons on)?

Thanks
I placed my reservation opening night 7/13/2020 10:55pm I was trying to submit the reservation from 8pm. It completed the build on 10/25/2021 It was delivered on 11/05/2021. The deposit you put is between you and your dealer, mine was great and didn’t require any. If I didn’t like the bronco I was able to walk away but I’d have to get back in line.

It’s more wind noise than anything. I don’t think it’s super horrible. The Grand Cherokee I trade in for the wrangler was much quieter but it’s not unmanageable. As far as a noise damper, I don’t think that exists on either vehicle. They’re designed to have the top and doors removed.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I placed my reservation opening night 7/13/2020 10:55pm I was trying to submit the reservation from 8pm. It completed the build on 10/25/2021 It was delivered on 11/05/2021. The deposit you put is between you and your dealer, mine was great and didn’t require any. If I didn’t like the bronco I was able to walk away but I’d have to get back in line.

It’s more wind noise than anything. I don’t think it’s super horrible. The Grand Cherokee I trade in for the wrangler was much quieter but it’s not unmanageable. As far as a noise damper, I don’t think that exists on either vehicle. They’re designed to have the top and doors removed.

My experience with the JLU Rubicon is that it makes MORE wind noise than a JKU Rubicon. The top feels thinner and lighter, so I suspect this has a lot to do with it.

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A couple of things to check that can improve drive quality (it still won't be as good as IFS - but these can really help)
Check the tire psi - many come from the dealer WAY over inflated (mine were at 49psi)

It's my understanding the 392 comes with the same lower control arms as all the other models. I betting your caster is under 5.5 degrees. That will contribute to the drifting steering feel. Spring for the longer mopar arms (for the 2" lift). $60 will put you around 6 degrees and make a noticible improvement. Check the # stamped on the inside of the lca to be sure though....
68322798AA is the one you want
So I haven’t driven my bronco since Friday, I finally swapped with her. Boy what a night and day difference in steering. Tonight when she gets home I’m going to check which LCAs it has. I’m guessing your right and they’re the stock jl ones they put on all of them. For $60 it’s worth a shot before I go with adjustable arms for $400.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Monster1926

JK Gear and Gadgets had a video on installing the sector shaft brace and said it did help with the steering vagueness. Agree on the lower control arm comment too.

What tires (size / type) are on it?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Monster1926

JK Gear and Gadgets had a video on installing the sector shaft brace and said it did help with the steering vagueness. Agree on the lower control arm comment too.

What tires (size / type) are on it?
Bfg TA KO2. 315s. The sector shaft brace is on my list. I think I’m gonna start with the mopar arms and go from there.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I haven’t driven my bronco since Friday, I finally swapped with her. Boy what a night and day difference in steering. Tonight when she gets home I’m going to check which LCAs it has. I’m guessing your right and they’re the stock jl ones they put on all of them. For $60 it’s worth a shot before I go with adjustable arms for $400.
Here's a great run through on the LCA swap if you need it:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/post-919317

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Bfg TA KO2. 315s. The sector shaft brace is on my list. I think I’m gonna start with the mopar arms and go from there.
Yeah I put LCAs on my 3” lifted JK, and it’s still drives like a SFA Jeep, but it made a noticeable improvement.

PS this has been a useful site on tire pressures too. (35 sounds about right to me)https://tirepressure.com/

Last edited:

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would do the control arms for sure. The stock JLU sits around 5.5 deg caster. With the stock lift it runs to a bit less causing the issue. I set mine to 6.5 and with the 2Dr lifted it tracks way better. Here maybe an issue is your pinion angle though. My JLR is not AWD. Front does not spin all the time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would do the control arms for sure. The stock JLU sits around 5.5 deg caster. With the stock lift it runs to a bit less causing the issue. I set mine to 6.5 and with the 2Dr lifted it tracks way better. Here maybe an issue is your pinion angle though. My JLR is not AWD. Front does not spin all the time.
I’ve been thinking about how the awd would effect changing it. I’m gonna start with the mopars and see if they help. For $60 why not. Then move to metal cloak for sure eventually.

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah I put LCAs on my 3” lifted JK, and it’s still drives like a SFA Jeep, but it made a noticeable improvement.

PS this has been a useful site on tire pressures too. (35 sounds about right to me)https://tirepressure.com/
Psi was the first thing I did. Before I left the dealer they were at 37 well it was only 7 degrees that day so I’m sure they shrunk a lot. In the garage the next morning they went up to 42psi. I know I don’t never drive like the bronco and it does track straight down the road it’ll just dart left or right every now and then I also think I’m getting quite a bit of torque steer when I get on it.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Monster1926 Steve, your wife's a badass wanting a 392 Wrangler. :)

As suggested, lower the psi in the tires. When I drove my JLUS home is was like a rutterless ship. I checked the air, and the tires were at 42 psi all around. It was riding on the crown of the tires. I lowered the pressure to 32 all around, and it drives much better. Still drives like a Jeep, but no one can change that. :)

Last edited:

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Psi was the first thing I did. Before I left the dealer they were at 37 well it was only 7 degrees that day so I’m sure they shrunk a lot. In the garage the next morning they went up to 42psi. I know I don’t never drive like the bronco and it does track straight down the road it’ll just dart left or right every now and then I also think I’m getting quite a bit of torque steer when I get on it.
I bet you are getting torque steer. I wish I could justify the purchase of a 392 right now. I am sure in 10 years or so that is going to be a classic. Soon most SUVs and trucks will be electric which in most ways is better than ICE but the nostalgia of a solid axle V8 for the sound and experience will be prized possession. I know Broncos ride better on the road and the torque of the Turbos is good but soon IFS with an electric motor allowing longer control arms and frees up a bunch of design limitations an ICE car has. If I were to guess when they work out electric SUVs they will be beasts but there will always be a place for the classic V8. It is like the 60s muscle cars. Sure they make less HP and Torque than todays 4 bangers and they wander like a boat but they are just cool.

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Monster1926 Steve, your wife's a badass wanting a 392 Wrangler. :)

As suggested, lower the psi in the tires. When I drove my JLUS home is was like a rutterless ship. I checked the air, and the tires were at 42 psi all around. It was riding on the crown of the tires. I lowered the pressure to 32 all around, and it drives much better. Still drives like a Jeep, but no one can change that. :)
It’s all my fault, i put her in a SRT Grand Cherokee and was hoping to trade it for the bronco. We’ll we drove one and it wasn’t fast enough for her. 🙄🙄🙄 I created a monster. I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting the bronco and I couldn’t be happier.
Sponsored