Mr.Pike17

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 sante fe awd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's my biggest concern is rust rot with the box framing. I live in the rust belt. What's the best way to make this thing last more then 10 years? I've done undercoating before. after time it just hides a problem you can't see until it's to late. I know the old timers would spray old motor oil on them and ride down a dust road. wonder if that's better then undercoating? I once know a guy that took vaseline an put it on the body like wax and left it on all winter. That old truck lasted a long time, but he put it on the painted outside.
my last truck i bought brand new, a 2016 ram 3500, i brought it to Krown oil spraying they use a proprietary blend that over time is soaked into the steel, or so they say. i oil sprayed my 3500 twice in the first year of ownership and every year after that and will do the same with my bronco. i believe their system works because when i had my truck there i witnessed quite a few older cars that should have rusted out by now, like K cars. not to mention my part of Canada has started using a brine solution instead of salt/sand, that brine gets into everywhere. i even got them to drop my spare tire and spray into that opening as well.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went wheelin this morning with a couple of buddies w/ jeeps this morning in my f150. Before we hit the trails they jumped out and manually disconnected their sway bar links with just the pull of a couple of hitch pins.
Is the only easy way of disco going to be the electric disco on the BL? I'm not seeing in these pics if doing it manually is easy enough.

Forgive me please for my ignorance, I'm new to off roading, but I'm already hooked

In short, Yes Badlands and First Edition I believe. The Bronco's disco is hydraulic not electric like the Jeeps. Manual disco not available yet but will be soon no doubt.

edit: sorry I changed my post a bit.

Last edited:

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CLEARLY the lower ball joint is not replaceable...this REALLY sucks!
Seems strange. Why make the upper serviceable and the lower not?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems strange. Why make the upper serviceable and the lower not?
Thats usually how aluminum LCAs are. Must be impossible to make a press in ball joint work. Uppers don't support any wieght.

Dking79bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
D'Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not enough
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's my biggest concern is rust rot with the box framing. I live in the rust belt. What's the best way to make this thing last more then 10 years? I've done undercoating before. after time it just hides a problem you can't see until it's to late. I know the old timers would spray old motor oil on them and ride down a dust road. wonder if that's better then undercoating? I once know a guy that took vaseline an put it on the body like wax and left it on all winter. That old truck lasted a long time, but he put it on the painted outside.

I was researching a solution to this i would say if you get it brand new immediately wash it and spray the metal exposed bits with flex seal but more and more cars are having the chassis sprayed with a coating to prevent rust

Sponsored

Dking79bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
D'Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not enough
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
also was this a electric steering rack ?

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm starting to think that a good portion of the people on this site need to just build their own damn vehicle from the ground up :LOL:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad to hear that Toyota understands that vehicles should not be disposable.
Maybe I‘ll look for a nice low mile FJ. And call it a day.

Oh no, Toyota still builds disposable frames. I love move 2nd gen Tacoma, but my 2011 FJ just never had a soul, plus other people wanted it much more than I did. I figure I've got at least 5 more years in my Tacoma before rust becomes an issue. I'll always have a truck, even with the Bronco. Hopefully Toyota will still be making a great truck when it's time to truck shop.
Sponsored