Pics of 2.3L engine & underhood compartment in 2021 Bronco

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
In the usaf they would send newbies to the tool crib for all kinds of stuff flight line,k9p a solvent,pnuematic fluid in qt cans,the funny thing was they had props in the crib for them one was triple 000 sandpaper the guys had a piece of cardboard with 6 rocks glued to it they would say thats as course as it gets.
My favorite game working in the engine rooms on nuclear powered aircraft carrier. 7 months is a long time to be at sea. Someone sent a kid to find Fallopian Tubing. Took him a while.

Advertisement

Tre

Big Bend
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
I totally disagree with this. The 2.3 is a potent engine for its size. Its actually pretty impressive. And with the 93 Octane tune you get around 325hp and 375tq. That much power from a small in-line 4 is pretty amazing. A lot of past V8s didn't even get that. Too many people are still obsessed with counting cylinders.
I have to admit... I find myself questioning my own line of thinking with my various relatives against the steady string of "you can't town anything with 4 cylinders" or "a 6 (or 8) cylinder engine is better on the highway because of lower RPMs" or "this engine is going to burn itself out faster because its working too had to move the truck."

I want to believe that the 2.3 is going to be enough, but man, keeping the faith in the HP and Tq numbers when all anybody talks about is cylinders is tough work.

rapidredbronco2021

Outer Banks
First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 2019 Ford Escape
I don't know if I'd count the Kia soul in that group, lol.

But I was looking at the Crosstrek but it's too small and WAY underpowered.

For a brand new car though I'm very surprised that Ford included it in a brand new model.
I wouldn’t either since the Crsstrek is basically a lifted Impreza and the Soul is more of a tall car. I’m surprised Hyundai gave the Venue a manual at all for the size/class of it.

I was skeptical of Ford giving the Bronco a manual and just because the Wrangler had one didn’t mean Ford was going to. For whatever reason Ford gave the manual to the Bronco, I’m grateful it has it regardless of the engine it’s mated to.

Last edited:

BroncoMan13

Base
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Davidson RKS
I have to admit... I find myself questioning my own line of thinking with my various relatives against the steady string of "you can't town anything with 4 cylinders" or "a 6 (or 8) cylinder engine is better on the highway because of lower RPMs" or "this engine is going to burn itself out faster because its working too had to move the truck."

I want to believe that the 2.3 is going to be enough, but man, keeping the faith in the HP and Tq numbers when all anybody talks about is cylinders is tough work.
Yep. Americans are the biggest cylinders counters on the planet. Its got to be bigger heavier, louder and guzzle the hell out of gas.

Most Americans would pick the V8 even if it only made 210hp and 260tq like many older ones did over a 2.3 inline 4 making 325hp and 375tq.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Americans are the biggest cylinders counters on the planet. Its got to be bigger heavier, louder and guzzle the hell out of gas.

Most Americans would pick the V8 even if it only made 210hp and 260tq like many older ones did over a 2.3 inline 4 making 325hp and 375tq.
That's me! Yes I realize I HAVE A PROBLEM! I am going to show HUMONGOUS self control by making the completely sensible choice of buying a 2.3l Bronco. As long as that's the only way I can "bang them gears"! Do I get a 12 step coin or something?

BroncoMan13

Base
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Davidson RKS
That's me! Yes I realize I HAVE A PROBLEM! I am going to show HUMONGOUS self control by making the completely sensible choice of buying a 2.3l Bronco. As long as that's the only way I can "bang them gears"! Do I get a 12 step coin or something?
You should. Maybe a coin with a 2.3 engraved in it. Other side will say in performance I trust.

• Haha
Reactions: Tre

Hoofnmouth

Base
First Name
mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Clubs

Yup that’s me give me 200 hp v8 with a lumpy cam happy as a clam.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
I4 is a motor that faces tons of prejudice from the consumer...but Ford's I4's have historically been very good...going back many many years. v6? well you guys tell me?
Good, but less consistently so. Cologne V6 was a good one but some had head cracking/warping or head gasket issues. Sort that out and the engine will go 400,000 miles. Ford's I6 was a fantastic engine as well (I know, not a V. I wish we could go back!). Ford's been putting tons of V6 (NA and EcoBoost) in the F150 over the past decade to achieve CAFE standards, or I assume that is the reason, and they seem to rack up plenty of miles, based on what I see on the used market out here.

That said, if I were shopping for an old Explorer, or something along those lines, I'd hunt for a 5.0 or a modular 4.6, based on personal experience with the Cologne 4.0 (a strong engine, but not as reliable as the V8s they put in taxis/cop cars 🤷‍♂️).

The days of a 4 cylinder always being underpowered for the application are behind us though. I've pointed out elsewhere the 2.3 makes 50% more horsepower than the 3.5/3.9/4.0 V8 I got used to powering Land Rovers of yesteryear. The power to weight ratio will be just fine.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Vehicle Showcase
Good, but less consistently so. Cologne V6 was a good one but some had head cracking/warping or head gasket issues. Sort that out and the engine will go 400,000 miles. Ford's I6 was a fantastic engine as well (I know, not a V. I wish we could go back!). Ford's been putting tons of V6 (NA and EcoBoost) in the F150 over the past decade to achieve CAFE standards, or I assume that is the reason, and they seem to rack up plenty of miles, based on what I see on the used market out here.

That said, if I were shopping for an old Explorer, or something along those lines, I'd hunt for a 5.0 or a modular 4.6, based on personal experience with the Cologne 4.0 (a strong engine, but not as reliable as the V8s they put in taxis/cop cars 🤷‍♂️).

The days of a 4 cylinder always being underpowered for the application are behind us though. I've pointed out elsewhere the 2.3 makes 50% more horsepower than the 3.5/3.9/4.0 V8 I got used to powering Land Rovers of yesteryear. The power to weight ratio will be just fine.
What in the name of Lee Iacocca is a "cologne v6"? A v6 that "smells like a man"? Did Tommy Hilfiger start building v6 engines?

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Vehicle Showcase

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
I don't know if I'd count the Kia soul in that group, lol.

But I was looking at the Crosstrek but it's too small and WAY underpowered.

For a brand new car though I'm very surprised that Ford included it in a brand new model.
My fiance has a manual Crosstrek. It's actually an awesome little ride only let down by it's lack of power. The manual makes it tolerable though. But yeah, 152 hp really doesn't cut it.
If they made a Crosstrek WRX I'd actually consider buying one.

Broncomputer

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
My fiance has a manual Crosstrek. It's actually an awesome little ride only let down by it's lack of power. The manual makes it tolerable though. But yeah, 152 hp really doesn't cut it.
If they made a Crosstrek WRX I'd actually consider buying one.

My wife and I went to the LA Auto Show a couple years back and the Hybrid Crosstrek was there. I REALLY wanted to like that car, but the trunk was taken up by the battery by quite a bit. So that was another reason why we decided against it even though it had a bit more power.

A WRX powered Crosstrek, with a bit of a lift and bigger tires would be awesome.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok...im INTIMATELY famlliar w/4.0 SOHC. Thankfully most have been crushed! Never heard it called that...but I do remeber they were produced in Germany. 4.0 ohv wasn't great either, and 2.9 kinda sucked as well...thats all ancient history tho right? Ford doesn't build junk like that now do they?
I was a big fan of the 4.0 OHV in the Ranger, but it felt a little overworked in an Explorer. The 4.0 SOHC introduced reliability issues when paired with an automatic transmission, don't remember the details but it was something dumb like if there was a slow coolant loss, the vehicle could potentially run for a very long time with no functionality of the transmission cooler before the radiator got low enough to trigger a coolant light .... which is kinda BS. Plus the extra timing chains on the SOHC were not well executed and added unnecessary complexity as compared to a pushrod. In any case, OHV was great with a manual and I'd put up with the SOHC but recognize its limitations. Both were so much better than the average fare of the 80s or 90s in my recollection, unless you are talking about Toyota.

In any case, I wouldn't say the engines themselves were junk for the time, but they did have their issues, especially the SOHC. Ford (and all manufactures) have drastically improved quality and manufacturing tolerances since the '90s. The issues on vehicles now are often failures of non-drivetrain components. So the defect rate per vehicle may be the same or slightly higher today, but that is more due increased complexity and not actual powertrain reliability issues.

To answer your question directly, no, no one makes junk like they used to anymore. They make junk differently these days :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement

Advertisement