First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been test driving electric cars for the last few years, and we are really close to the affordability point and technological point where it makes sense to buy one on its own merits. For me, we are not quite there yet, but close. I will say this, to me, an electric car still counts as a manual transmission: it's just a 1-speed manual that you can't stall :ROFLMAO:.

Seriously though, the main reason I drive a stick shift on every car I currently own, and do my best to only purchase manual transmission vehicles, is a serious aversion to all the driving dynamics and fun factor downsides of either an automatic or a CVT. An electric car skirts the issue entirely by just never needing to shift! In all the electric cars I've driven (several), never once have I reached for the non-existent shifter with the feeling that I needed to correct something the machine was doing. On the other hand, that sensation happens regularly in every automatic or CVT internal-combustion vehicle I've ever driven.

So in short, I'll welcome the electric revolution once we can get earth moving torque, low center of gravity, great driving dynamics and reasonable range for just small upcharge over an equivalent ICE vehicle. Your 10-15 year estimate is probably right on the money for when that will be reality.

Yeah we have a 2012 Prius and it has been great. In addition to the Bronco reservation I have one for the Mach-E. I think Ford is going to knock it out of the park with both vehicles.

However I don't think I'm quite ready to give up shifting yet and I need the space, plus the Bronco is just...cool, and in someways has more tech than the Mach-E. So I'll probably end up cancelling my order for the Mach-E.

It's too bad my wife doesn't like the Mach-E; I really want her to get an electric because she drives WAY more than me, so we're looking at a Model Y or Volvo XC40 Recharge.

But I do think, depending on how well the Mach-E does, and once we get into sub 30k EVs that we'll see a lot more out and about. Depending on your state and Federal administrations, it may even be sooner.

I really can't wait for a Rivian powered Bronco, that can get 500 miles a charge, that can charge in 10 minutes, can do a tank turn...but that's a ways away for sure.
Sponsored

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swore in the video that was posted by the Overlanding guy on Youtube that they didn't want him showing the engine bay in the video because it wasn't production level.

Edit:

Skip to 10:07 and he states that he was told "dont open the hood because some things might change under there"

Last edited:

BHerring96

Outer Banks
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 23 Bronco (pnding)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I totally disagree with this. The 2.3 is a potent engine for its size. Its actually pretty impressive. And with the 93 Octane tune you get around 325hp and 375tq. That much power from a small in-line 4 is pretty amazing. A lot of past V8s didn't even get that. Too many people are still obsessed with counting cylinders.
Honest question for anyone. Will the 2.3 be able to handle long term wear and tear in a heavy off road truck compared to the 2.7. I just feel like a turbo i4 hauling large tires and being beat up offroad is comparable to a child on steroids lifting heavy weights. The kids gonna break a bone at some point. or am I wrong?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honest question for anyone. Will the 2.3 be able to handle long term wear and tear in a heavy off road truck compared to the 2.7. I just feel like a turbo i4 hauling large tires and being beat up offroad is comparable to a child on steroids lifting heavy weights. The kids gonna break a bone at some point. or am I wrong?
Plenty of people boost the hell out of it and Drag race it in the Mustang. And it holds up. That's way more strenuous then chugging along a dirt road on 35s.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ask that question to Toyota truck owners. Turbo 4 cylinder was in the Toyota truck that top gear tried to destroy and couldn’t. With the right gearing a turbo 4 will be just fine.

Sponsored

BHerring96

Outer Banks
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 23 Bronco (pnding)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ask that question to Toyota truck owners. Turbo 4 cylinder was in the Toyota truck that top gear tried to destroy and couldn’t. With the right gearing a turbo 4 will be just fine.
You do have a very good point.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pics of the 2.3L engine compartment.

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-1-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-2-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-3-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-4-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-5-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-6-jpg.jpg
Happy to see so much of the wiring so high in the engine bay. Hopefully alternator isn’t low? Would be a nice bonus.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm yet to see the actual motor under all that black licorice. (Never seen black spaghetti until now I guess :sneaky: )
Here's the Mustang, It's not a looker but not many engines are anymore.

Ford Bronco Pics of 2.3L engine & underhood compartment in 2021 Bronco M-6007-23T

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
U just are caught up in the way engine choices are marketed to the american public...the 4cyl is always considered "disposable". A 4cyl vehicle is a "throwaway". Truth is nobody here knows which will hold up better long term. Wouldn't suprise me if the 2.3 outlasts the 2.7, but I could see it going the other way as well. Historically for me my luck has been better w/inline engines in offroad vehicles. An I6 would be cool, but we are not going back down that road apparently. I4 is a motor that faces tons of prejudice from the consumer...but Ford's I4's have historically been very good...going back many many years. v6? well you guys tell me?

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the usaf they would send newbies to the tool crib for all kinds of stuff flight line,k9p a solvent,pnuematic fluid in qt cans,the funny thing was they had props in the crib for them one was triple 000 sandpaper the guys had a piece of cardboard with 6 rocks glued to it they would say thats as course as it gets.
My favorite game working in the engine rooms on nuclear powered aircraft carrier. 7 months is a long time to be at sea. Someone sent a kid to find Fallopian Tubing. Took him a while.

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
I totally disagree with this. The 2.3 is a potent engine for its size. Its actually pretty impressive. And with the 93 Octane tune you get around 325hp and 375tq. That much power from a small in-line 4 is pretty amazing. A lot of past V8s didn't even get that. Too many people are still obsessed with counting cylinders.
I have to admit... I find myself questioning my own line of thinking with my various relatives against the steady string of "you can't town anything with 4 cylinders" or "a 6 (or 8) cylinder engine is better on the highway because of lower RPMs" or "this engine is going to burn itself out faster because its working too had to move the truck."

I want to believe that the 2.3 is going to be enough, but man, keeping the faith in the HP and Tq numbers when all anybody talks about is cylinders is tough work.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know if I'd count the Kia soul in that group, lol.

But I was looking at the Crosstrek but it's too small and WAY underpowered.

For a brand new car though I'm very surprised that Ford included it in a brand new model.
I wouldn’t either since the Crsstrek is basically a lifted Impreza and the Soul is more of a tall car. I’m surprised Hyundai gave the Venue a manual at all for the size/class of it.

I was skeptical of Ford giving the Bronco a manual and just because the Wrangler had one didn’t mean Ford was going to. For whatever reason Ford gave the manual to the Bronco, I’m grateful it has it regardless of the engine it’s mated to.
Sponsored

Last edited: