Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is awful.šŸ˜¢

I've always wondered if things like this happen more often in places that only occassionally deal with ice.
Nope. People are just dumb on interstates. Shortly after moving down here there was a 50+ car pileup just a few miles from where I lived right at the entrance to I-35 (yeah same interstate just 12 hours north). Snow/ice happens there every year but for some reason when thereā€™s hundreds of cars around them they feel safe. I NEVER drove on interstates after a storm. Iā€™m amazed this isnā€™t more common.
Sponsored

ipongtreat

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch LUX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having lived in the Dallas area for almost 50 years, I can tell you ice
is way more common than snow in this area ā€” and ice is obviously waaaay more dangerous to drive on than snow. Iā€™ve got a daughter thatā€™s lived in Chicago for several years and she hasnā€™t reported much ice, mostly snow. Ice is the great equalizer when it comes to driving in that no one can drive with complete safety on it - no matter where you are from or what you are used to. Yes, there are dumb things you can do to increase your odds of having a problem on ice but you can do everything ā€œrightā€ and still find yourself in trouble. Better to just stay home if you can. In places like Texas these conditions, while treacherous, are still fairly rare so itā€™s hard to justify having all the equipment, manpower, and materials ready to apply at a momentā€™s notice anytime and anywhere it might get icy. In the past few years I have noticed significantly more in the way of road pre-treatments being applied when winter events are in the forecast but sometimes events and circumstances still come together in a tragedy like this. Very unfortunate.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After watching the videos and full size pickups getting reduced to nothing I think I'm now in the get out and jump the median crowd if that situation ever happens
It is a tough call, the person in the FJ Cruiser in the above video never had a chance.

On the other hand, this person got out and was killed.
One of the crashes, which was a pileup, occurred around 11:15 p.m. Wednesday at Interstate 45 and Lamar Street in Dallas.

A chain-reaction crash involving 18-vehicles went up a hill and hit a patch of ice that covered the entire service road, officials said.

According to investigators, the first vehicle involved in the crash hit the ice, lost control, and struck the retaining wall becoming disabled in the roadway. That's when a person in a second vehicle stopped to help the other driver.

Officials said that man was struck by several vehicles. At that point, a separate collision with multiple vehicles pinned him against a wall. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. His name has not been released at this time.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/traffi...oads/287-c47f1996-97bd-497f-8232-97ef4c259ab6

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Having lived in the Dallas area for almost 50 years, I can tell you ice
is way more common than snow in this area ā€” and ice is obviously waaaay more dangerous to drive on than snow. Iā€™ve got a daughter thatā€™s lived in Chicago for several years and she hasnā€™t reported much ice, mostly snow. Ice is the great equalizer when it comes to driving in that no one can drive with complete safety on it - no matter where you are from or what you are used to. Yes, there are dumb things you can do to increase your odds of having a problem on ice but you can do everything ā€œrightā€ and still find yourself in trouble. Better to just stay home if you can. In places like Texas these conditions, while treacherous, are still fairly rare so itā€™s hard to justify having all the equipment, manpower, and materials ready to apply at a momentā€™s notice anytime and anywhere it might get icy. In the past few years I have noticed significantly more in the way of road pre-treatments being applied when winter events are in the forecast but sometimes events and circumstances still come together in a tragedy like this. Very unfortunate.
Yep, no GOAT mode is going to save you from wrapping a Bronco or anything else around a tree with ice like that. In 2014 we got it bad and I couldnā€™t leave my house for four days with an inch of ice on my street. 2011 when they hosted the Super Bowl at Jerry World was another special time. A lot of elevated roadway on 35W near downtown. So sad.

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it makes me nervous driving through texas traffic on a normal day. Cant imagine that happening but completely understand, spun out on a overpass as the temps were dropping with no warning. My thoughts go out to those families that lost someone. Please be safe out there!

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After watching the videos and full size pickups getting reduced to nothing I think I'm now in the get out and jump the median crowd if that situation ever happens

I thought of "what would I do in this situation" and agree I'd try to get out or at least die trying

But then I imagined the scenario of having my wife in passenger and child in back seat and I got really sad. Unless I was the Flash, I can't save everyone and myself.. Sometimes there's nothing that can be done to avoid tragedy

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hereā€™s the video of the FJ Cruiser. Happens at the one minute mark:

This is the video I was talking about earlier. At the 10 sec mark when the semi gets hit and looks like it is about to tip, you see a girl get out and start running. She is from my town. Only like 25 or something but very lucky.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the past few years I have noticed significantly more in the way of road pre-treatments being applied when winter events are in the forecast but sometimes events and circumstances still come together in a tragedy like this. Very unfortunate.
After the dust settles on this, answers will have to be given on what road prep was taken (or not taken) for that particular stretch of 35. That same morning, I drove from Keller to Plano via major highways at the same time as this wreck and the highways were well prepped and no ice.

Watching the video of the FedEx truck makes it seem like little to no prep was done as that truck and the following cars were not slowing down. Side note, in that same video, you can already see red and blue flashing lights and that truck and many others still seem to still be going full speed...

And this is why I hate those express lanes, when shit goes south, you have nowhere to bail off to. Most of the express lanes around here are flanked on both sides by concrete barriers with no shoulders.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
FJ guy lived:
That is unbelievable, I have been thinking about that video since I saw it this morning, that man is beyond lucky to be alive. I canā€™t imagine seeing that coming.

Honestly Iā€™ve seen the aftermath of someone getting out of their vehicle too soon following an accident and getting hit - seeing a cop Unsuccessfully attempt to resuscitate the person; I change my mind - there are situations where itā€™s best to escape the vehicle.
There are very few vehicles that could protect an occupant in that situation.

The photo from the passenger side is insane.

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatching that FJ video over and over...there is someone that is ejected or ducks just after the FJ is crushed and then appears out of nowhere at 1:05 walking away.

I know others weren't so lucky but damn that was good to hear the FJ guy survived. Hell of a job Toyota!

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every time I think, why don't I just fix up an old 4x4 and not bother with a new bronco I think of how much better new cars are in accidents. It is astounding that that guy lived. I doubt that there was a car produced before 1990 that he would have survived in.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every time I think, why don't I just fix up an old 4x4 and not bother with a new bronco I think of how much better new cars are in accidents. It is astounding that that guy lived. I doubt that there was a car produced before 1990 that he would have survived in.
Iā€™ve gone through this same thought process so many times. Considering I can afford a Bronco is it really worth it to save 20-30k but risk my life or my wifeā€™s life?
Sponsored