Sponsored

Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers?

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I went with 35x10.5r17's on my black diamond 7MT. They look a little stuffed. I haven't been able to check clearances yet. Been a busy weekend. I am intending on swapping out the Hitachi coilovers for a set of Bilstein Sasquatch coilovers as soon as they become availibe.

I got the tires mounted on Friday and they look great. Tire shop forgot to order 5 tires for the spare so that it getting done tomorrow. Since these are "narrow" tires I didn't think much about mounting the spare except to get the 3rd brake light relocation kit to clear the bigger tire. Because I have a long trip at the end of this week I test fit one of the tires on the spare bracket. It fit.....but.... I had to remove these rubber bumpers. I have not looked closely at sasquatch builds. Are these on there at the same thickness? I am thinking that I could just shave ~1" off the bumper and reuse it if needed. Tire sits solid on the mount without it. I am assuming it is there to help control motion at the edges of the tire?

Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers? 20210910_165806

Ford Bronco Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers? 20210912_213557

Ford Bronco Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers? 20210912_213609
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off, she looks great!!

Yep, it's there to prevent extra movement to mitigate any flexing of the carrier and/or tailgate to prevent stress damage. Aftermarket will eventually step up and fill this void but if you need to make it smaller I vote a simple but well calculated trim would get the job done. I had to go the opposite way with my Jeep and get longer ones made by Daystar to counteract the new offset, another option for extending is the old tennis ball trick, just shove one in there.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First off, she looks great!!

Yep, it's there to prevent extra movement to mitigate any flexing of the carrier and/or tailgate to prevent stress damage. Aftermarket will eventually step up and fill this void but if you need to make it smaller I vote a simple but well calculated trim would get the job done. I had to go the opposite way with my Jeep and get longer ones made by Daystar to counteract the new offset, another option for extending is the old tennis ball trick, just shove one in there.
I had the same issue when I upgrade my Base tires that are 10" wide to new tires that are 11.2" wide. I took a sharp razor blade and simply trimmed about a half inch off the bumper and left it in place. I think this is probably better than removing it completely.

broncbeau

Big Bend
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
More pics man!!!

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does looks great with 35.

Perhaps next summer for me. My short ass is gonna needs side steps 😆

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since you already have the RC relo for 3rd brake light, you might ass we’ll add the spare tire relo as well..

F5212DC1-68C2-4990-877A-0646C1E06D0D.png

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am debating the spare tire relocation or just adjust the size of the rubber stops now. I will hav eot look at the curve of the 3rd brake light bracket and see what moving it up another 2 inches does. What I found yesterday when I put the relocation bracket on is the bracket now pushes on a the soft top when it is in the full down position. I forgot to get a pic of that. I wonder if the spare tire movement up will make that better or worse.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on your offset as well I went with 35 x 12.5 but with a 0 offset so I have the opposite issue where the spare is too far away from the bump stops.

If you know you are going to keep that same size wheel and tire set up just trim the stops, if theres a chance you may want to go to different size or offset down the road you may want to go with the relocation kit.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I am going to meet in the middle for now. I ordered some Jeep spare tire bump stops on Amazon for cheap. I will shave those down to the correct height. Then if I go different rims in the future I will still have the original stops if I need to relocate the spare tire bracket. Thanks for your help on here! I will post pics when I finish it up tomorrow.

Sponsored

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ended up trimming mine, but had to do it still installed on the bronco. I’m sure I could have yanked it off if I tried hard, but couldn’t get it to unscrew like it looks like you should be able to do. Any tricks to removing them? Trimming on the rig was a pain and can’t say I didn’t get my first little nick in the paint.🤯
So I went with 35x10.5r17's on my black diamond 7MT. They look a little stuffed. I haven't been able to check clearances yet. Been a busy weekend. I am intending on swapping out the Hitachi coilovers for a set of Bilstein Sasquatch coilovers as soon as they become availibe.

I got the tires mounted on Friday and they look great. Tire shop forgot to order 5 tires for the spare so that it getting done tomorrow. Since these are "narrow" tires I didn't think much about mounting the spare except to get the 3rd brake light relocation kit to clear the bigger tire. Because I have a long trip at the end of this week I test fit one of the tires on the spare bracket. It fit.....but.... I had to remove these rubber bumpers. I have not looked closely at sasquatch builds. Are these on there at the same thickness? I am thinking that I could just shave ~1" off the bumper and reuse it if needed. Tire sits solid on the mount without it. I am assuming it is there to help control motion at the edges of the tire?

Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers? F5212DC1-68C2-4990-877A-0646C1E06D0D

Ford Bronco Pizza cutter 35" spare - rubber bumpers? F5212DC1-68C2-4990-877A-0646C1E06D0D

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ended up trimming mine, but had to do it still installed on the bronco. I’m sure I could have yanked it off if I tried hard, but couldn’t get it to unscrew like it looks like you should be able to do. Any tricks to removing them? Trimming on the rig was a pain and can’t say I didn’t get my first little nick in the paint.🤯
Any luck figuring out how to unscrew / remove the rubber spare bumpers? @BaseBD ? I am going to drop off mine tonight for full PPF, and wanted to remove them and re-install after the wrap.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Tricky Nick Its been a while since I did it. I think it was a very light touch with a screw driver until the plastic screw started to move from its base and then I used a small pick tool to help pull on the screw head to keep tension on the threads.

Last edited:

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Nick Its been a while since I did it. I think it was a very light touch with a screw driver until the plastic screw started to move from its base and then I used a small pick tool to help pull on the screw head to keep tension on the threads.
I failed, stripped the plastic screw head and no luck removing. No big deal, as they can wrap around them, and it will be behind a spare anyway. Thanks for the help though!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thoughts?

Yes, I know this is an old thread. But I wanted to see if you have any updates as to whether you added a lift or just a set of Bilstein takeoffs as you alluded to. Prior to any lift/suspension upgrade, did you have to remove the crash bars for fitment on the stock +55 offset steelies? I see the front crash bar but can't tell if the rear was removed. Was there any rubbing at lock? I really dig the pizza cutter look. Also, more pics please.
Sponsored