Sponsored

Plastic Bumper Reverse Light Mod (Tech Notes)

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base
I decided the blank space on the stock plastic Bumper needed filling. Installed a passenger side reverse light. I had a couple of notes from the install.

There is reinforcement inside the bumper that must be dealt with if your light has any depth.

Use a shallow light or you have to melt or grind the inside of the bumper. Don't set your new Bronco on fire if you're not familiar with using a heat gun.

Be careful where you cut the hole for the light. Look behind the bumper to locate interference areas.

I will eventually swap the rear bumper for aftermarket but this will hold me over till I find the bumper I want to install.

PXL_20220114_164307823.jpg

PXL_20211222_140333247~2.jpg

PXL_20220114_165351920.jpg
Sponsored

guyparker

Base
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '21 Base Sas & '22 Big Bend Sas 4-drs
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What did you find behind the plastic outer surface? I'm wondering if I should take the rear bumper off to do this.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I decided the blank space on the stock plastic Bumper needed filling. Installed a passenger side reverse light. I had a couple of notes from the install.

There is reinforcement inside the bumper that must be dealt with if your light has any depth.

Use a shallow light or you have to melt or grind the inside of the bumper. Don't set your new Bronco on fire if you're not familiar with using a heat gun.

Be careful where you cut the hole for the light. Look behind the bumper to locate interference areas.

I will eventually swap the rear bumper for aftermarket but this will hold me over till I find the bumper I want to install.

Ford Bronco Plastic Bumper Reverse Light Mod (Tech Notes) PXL_20220114_165351920

Ford Bronco Plastic Bumper Reverse Light Mod (Tech Notes) PXL_20220114_165351920

nice work! did you connect this light to your reverse lights or to an aux switch?

OP
OP

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base
nice work! did you connect this light to your reverse lights or to an aux switch?
I actually did both. Reverse on my trailer wiring to the bumper light. And I wired up an AUX switch. Which also turns on my backup lights (bumper+ taillights).
Sponsored