NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not 100% certain steel protects you more. It protects the car more for sure but impact it probably harsher on passengers. I don’t even mention pedestrians!
My H2 has a fairly thick stock steel front bumper, earlier this year when traffic stopped faster than I could I ended up hitting the car in front of me at a decent speed. The trunk of the car in front of me was pushed almost into the back seat. I had one corner of that factory steel bumper pushed back about 1/2 inch and zero frame damage.

I remember I had swerved around the car in front of me to avoid her, hitting the side guard rail with both driver side tires. The car in front of the one in front of me ended up getting into the median to avoid hitting the car in front of it. Unfortunately I knew I was going to hit it and rode right through.

Point is I’ve been through one of the hits described and I’ll take the steel bumper everyday of the week.

Granted I also wouldn’t touch a unibody crossover if my life depended on it. Piles of sht.
Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All vehicles should come standard with metal bumpers, plastic bumpers look horrible and perform horrible.
Well, to be fair, almost all vehicles have steel bumpers. But most have plastic bumper covers these days, except for pickup trucks generally.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, to be fair, almost all vehicles have steel bumpers. But most have plastic bumper covers these days, except for pickup trucks generally.
Yes I meant the molded integrated plastic bumpers all cars have look horrible, I understand they have an (usually aluminum) crash bar underneath but the plastic integrated bumper thing ran out and it just makes modern car look like feminine blobs in MOST cases.

Pedidoc22

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler 4 door, 2019 Cadillac XT4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A couple good shots of the standard plastic rear bumper on the Base, BB, OB and WT as opposed to the standard steel bumper on the BD, BL and FE.
I see quite a few significant differences. Most notably outside of the strength/durability, I like how the steel has the gripper traction on the top similar to an F-150. Plus side on the plastic is no rust from the back side as mud and water are flung up on the back. Anyone that has had a truck for any amount of time in the northern states has surely dealt with a rusty bumper.

Capture.JPG

Base 2021 Bronco Iconic Silver Steel Wheels 2 .jpg

Black Steel Wheels 2021 Bronco Black Diamond.jpg
I am probably getting the WIldtrak. Considering the Modular front bumper. Also considering a rear steel bumper if available. Concerned over excess weight.
Does anyone know the weights of all these bumpers?

Last edited:

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not 100% certain steel protects you more. It protects the car more for sure but impact it probably harsher on passengers. I don’t even mention pedestrians!
It protected my son when someone rear ended him. He was sitting still at a light and they weren't paying attention. He had to get a new bumper, but he and my daughter were not even hurt. That was in a Jeep.

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I imagine that the plastic bumpers are going to be pretty hardy. I had an 07 Jeep Liberty with plastic bumpers and they were pretty stout. I got backed into by a 53’ tractor trailer at a stop light (I know) and it dented my hood up but barely scratched my bumper. I am imagining something like that on the Bronco.
Should of had a 4 inch lift ?

CPTRK

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A couple good shots of the standard plastic rear bumper on the Base, BB, OB and WT as opposed to the standard steel bumper on the BD, BL and FE.
I see quite a few significant differences. Most notably outside of the strength/durability, I like how the steel has the gripper traction on the top similar to an F-150. Plus side on the plastic is no rust from the back side as mud and water are flung up on the back. Anyone that has had a truck for any amount of time in the northern states has surely dealt with a rusty bumper.

Capture.JPG

Base 2021 Bronco Iconic Silver Steel Wheels 2 .jpg

Black Steel Wheels 2021 Bronco Black Diamond.jpg
Thanks for the info and comparison. I decided to replace my plastic rear bumper with an OEM steel rear bumper. Didn't really want to shell out $1000-1500 for the aftermarket rear bumpers (most of which also require license plate relocation, which I don't wanna do).

Found a used OEM rear bumper for $550. Waiting for it to arrive to do the install. Only issue with this part is that it doesn't have the parking sensors so I'm gonna have to drill some holes and port my sensors over to the steely. Anybody done this?

vegetarianbarbarian

Wildtrak
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone heard of Ford planning a rear bumper in steel to replace the stock plastic?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone heard of Ford planning a rear bumper in steel to replace the stock plastic?
You mean add the steel one as an option? Don't think so. You should be able to order one through parts, if not now, then soon.

Sponsored

vegetarianbarbarian

Wildtrak
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You mean add the steel one as an option? Don't think so. You should be able to order one through parts, if not now, then soon.
Seems like limbo for a lot of OEM stuff. Safari bars aren’t available. Steel steps that sit higher and mount across the pinch seam would be nice.

And yes, a rear steel bumper upgrade from Ford.

wmd1971

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Waiting for my Outer Banks but hate the rear plastic bumper, so I did some research.
The steel bumper on a Badlands is available, but apparently it requires a bunch of steel brackets to install it according to my local dealership. I'll wait for some take offs from Bronco enthusiasts and go from there. Not really liking the aftermarket versions I've seen so far.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the paint code for touch-up on the steel rear bumper? My rear tires are throwing up major rocks and I'd prefer to get them covered up to keep rust away.

Wirenut20

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 97 F150, 92 Mustang LX 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Waiting for my Outer Banks but hate the rear plastic bumper, so I did some research.
The steel bumper on a Badlands is available, but apparently it requires a bunch of steel brackets to install it according to my local dealership. I'll wait for some take offs from Bronco enthusiasts and go from there. Not really liking the aftermarket versions I've seen so far.
Check with Maxlider Bros to see if they have any factory take offs
https://www.maxliderbros.com/

Usdmmark

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I may have missed it but is there any problems or things to know swapping from a plastic to a metal rear bumper?
Sponsored