Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would be a great idea, from and engineering perspective, it does not seem doable. Where are the Batteries going to live? Do you reduce the already anemic fuel tank? The Bronco system is so compact and efficient. Now and EV version like the F-150 would be really cool.
My guess is the battery for a phev would be on the floor of the cargo area taking up the 4-5 inch deep space so that you have a completely flat floor when rear seats are folded. ( Like the slide out tailgate accessory) or maybe under the back seats like the Wrangler 4xe
Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What you describe is a series hybrid vehicle, commonly known as an extended range EV. The 4xe appears to be a series-parallel hybrid. This means it can run off of gas only, electric only, or both at the same time, and the gas engine can recharge the batteries while driving if you choose. This is more versatile than either a pure series hybrid or pure parallel hybrid, but also more complex.
Whats the point of plugging it in if the engine can recharge the batteries?

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ice engine would never fire up for me unless I was heading out of town. Plug it in each night in my garage and use it all-electric most days.

Using it as a regular hybrid all the time would defeat the purpose - efficiency gains would be gone as the extra weight would offset the hybrid benefits.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pure speculation on my part. Jeep has a diesel I am guessing that Ford will follow suit.
That Diesel with it's 25+ mpg is the reason I struggle daily with staying with the Bronco..oh that and the fact I can actually BUY ONE.

Deleted member 3063

did you’ll see the fine print on the hybrid? Front wheel drive only. No way am I buying a FWD Bronco, don’t care if it get 40mpg.
Not sure why you're thinking the Bronco would get a FWD powertrain but you might better think F150 hybrid 10spd driveline, and it will hardly be near 40mpg, most likely 25+.

As for the Maverick, yes no AWD, yet. The Mav development is only 2 years in, pretty quick. If you look a bit deeper the story changes.

"The 2022 Ford Maverick boasts an entirely new electric traction motor that is the first one developed and manufactured fully in-house at Ford. Its form factor isn't terribly different from the motor used in the Ford Escape Hybrid, but it renders the e-CVT transmission a unique new part number from that used in the Escape Hybrid.
So although there is no packaging or technological impediment to modifying the Escape Hybrid AWD model's e-CVT to accommodate the Maverick's new motor, Ford decided not to bite off more than it could chew by developing and launching both front- and all-wheel-drive Maverick hybrid variants in the first model year."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/

This new motor is a higher torque item than the Escape setup and IMO probably more suited for trucklet/offroad use and may need some R&D dure to it's increased power. Wouldn't be surprised if when they do modify the eCVT for this new electric motor the Mav and Bronco Sport will be first in line but never for THE Bronco.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For folks that live in urban / suburban areas, a range of 20-30 miles on all electric could cover a fair number of trips. That would get me to work and back. The ICE engine is there for extended trips like to client sites or trips out of town.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My guess is the battery for a phev would be on the floor of the cargo area taking up the 4-5 inch deep space so that you have a completely flat floor when rear seats are folded. ( Like the slide out tailgate accessory) or maybe under the back seats like the Wrangler 4xe
I don't think having it in the very back would be a great idea. The pack needs heating and cooling. On a vehicle where the roof comes off, it could bake/freeze back there.

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they announce a hybrid Bronco I’d likely order a base maverick and keep my Challenger then trade them both for the Bronco when it was available. Kind of a fun thought really.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As far as I understand, it's cheaper to get the equivalent battery charge from your electrical utility than out of burning gas for it.

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

EV is not Hybrid. Hybrid means you can keep going since a small engine is charging batteries. EV means you'll be sitting somewhere IF you can find charging station and IF it's open....not for cross country trips for sure.
Well to be fair a plug in hybrid is a bit of both.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator // 2 door Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That Diesel with it's 25+ mpg is the reason I struggle daily with staying with the Bronco..oh that and the fact I can actually BUY ONE.
I LOVE my diesel gladiator. On 39s the lifetime hand calculated mpg is 20.9 and thats including over 1000 miles offroad. On the freeway at 70 it gets about 24 and in town about 19

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For folks that live in urban / suburban areas, a range of 20-30 miles on all electric could cover a fair number of trips. That would get me to work and back. The ICE engine is there for extended trips like to client sites or trips out of town.

Yep hopefully one will be coming out soon.

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My question is, where will the put the batteries? It is already packaged pretty tight in the gas configuration. I am betting on an all EV vs a hybrid. Diesel will be first.
The battery pack in the Jeep 4xe is under the back seats

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This would be a great idea, from and engineering perspective, it does not seem doable. Where are the Batteries going to live? Do you reduce the already anemic fuel tank? The Bronco system is so compact and efficient. Now and EV version like the F-150 would be really cool.
The batteries on the Jeep 4xe go under the rear seats. They crammed it in pretty well and made it “waterproof”
Sponsored