First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco wildtrak, 1996 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So we did some wheeling yesterday and this morning noticed gear oil from the rear end. Well on a creeper with a flashlight I noticed one of the plug welds are missing on the axel tube. How does one explain this???

BDF55EC0-C63F-4F00-ACD0-D1DC230842EF.jpeg
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So we did some wheeling yesterday and this morning noticed gear oil from the rear end. Well on a creeper with a flashlight I noticed one of the plug welds are missing on the axel tube. How does one explain this???

Ford Bronco Plug welds missing on axle tube BDF55EC0-C63F-4F00-ACD0-D1DC230842EF
I'm sure @Ford Motor Company will be along tomorrow to ask for your VIN...

No way to hit anything there. Is it threaded?

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

trail turn assist does this...the forces from one brake being locked up, and the other side unlocked, combine with the forces that want to cause axle wrap or pinion lift (twist) are too much for Dana spicers housing, this has happened to others as well and IMHO will continue to happen to others broncos in the future.

I predicted this would happened when I first read about trail turn assist before the Bronco was even released.
And I also suspect the spider gears get EXTREEM pressure and even deflection during TTA events.

in the OPs case the tube is twisting inside the cast iron center section., and likely sheared off the welds.

I've done this before on other vehicles when one axle housing mount was loose. the tube rotated inside the housing...it's an a fairly common thing.

my solution was to weld all the way around the joint.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

trail turn assist does this...the forces from one brake being locked up, and the other side unlocked, combine with the forces that want to cause axle wrap or pinion lift (twist) are too much for Dana spicers housing, this has happened to others as well and IMHO will continue to happen to others broncos in the future.
Has it been reported on the forum before?

OP
OP
Baja_bronco

Baja_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco wildtrak, 1996 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So we did some wheeling yesterday and this morning noticed gear oil from the rear end.

So after further research it spun the axle tube. Two other have had the same issue.
Well on a creeper with a flashlight I noticed one of the plug welds are missing on the axel tube. How does one explain this???

[/QUOTE
Did some jackwad drill it out? I don't see how a weld pops out and there's a little sliver.
the axel tube spun.

Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

UPDATE!!!!
The dealer is saying they won’t cover it because I took it off-road. This is gonna turn into a shit show.
Wow, that's absolute BS. Which dealer?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE!!!!
The dealer is saying they won’t cover it because I took it off-road. This is gonna turn into a shit show.
If they cover swamped alternators they will cover this. Dealer is trying to get out of it. Try somebody else if possible

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

UPDATE!!!!
Show them this and contact Ford. Unless they can clearly prove abuse, this should be a warrantable concern. Off-roading alone does not void your warranty.

Ford Bronco Plug welds missing on axle tube D617767F-5EFA-4E56-B840-076D2513B423