Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to order with either the mirror mounted pod lights or the light bar from the factory. I'm not interested in doing myself afterwards for reasons that aren't important....

I'll be using the rig a lot for hunting which will involve early morning and nighttime off road driving on Nevada's desert washboard roads along with more challenging 4x4 trails in the hills and mountains. There will be limited rock crawling a few times each year to get into country most guys access with side by sides.

Based on the usage described what are the pros and cons of mirror mounted pod lights vs the light bar over the windshield? Which would you recommend?
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The lightbar will offer a wider spread of light. The pods are usually used as ditch lights for maneuvering over obstacles in the dark.

A common con of a roof mounted light bar is glare off the hood. You may need to apply a flat colored hood decal to alleviate that.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It depends on how far away you want your light as well as how wide of a patch of light you want.

Take a look at the output patterns of Baja Designs, Hella and KC among others. There is more to it than "pods" or "bars".

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lightbar.

Without a doubt. I have hunted wild pigs, the deck lighting is the way to go. Pod lights aren't as bright as you think when you're out hunting at night. They're glorified fog lights.

Lightbar. You need to be able to see what you're shooting.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lightbar.

Without a doubt. I have hunted wild pigs, the deck lighting is the way to go. Pod lights aren't as bright as you think when you're out hunting at night. They're glorified fog lights.

Side... bar... an all-Bronco wild boar hunting party would be sweet!

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lightbar.

Iā€™ll be driving to and from hunting areas in the dark. No nighttime shooting.

I did look at the light patterns on the Baja Designs website and it seems a bumper mounted combo is the way to go for my application. Maybe Iā€™ll get the dealer to install some of their lights on the bumper and include in the purchase price.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roof light bar is going to create a ton of road noise. Better off adding a bar to the bumper later.

Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did look at the light patterns on the Baja Designs website and it seems a bumper mounted combo is the way to go for my application. Maybe Iā€™ll get the dealer to install some of their lights on the bumper and include in the purchase price.
Ah, okay, that changes things. Thought you needed practical light for shooting.

Front mounted or bumper mounted is gonna be the way to go, friend.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm more of a nightlight guy myself

f083d4e296de7893bd9529bd1c774f94.gif

Only have experience pod lights (stock xterra roof mount lights) which make a big difference in my use. I think I will be sticking with Pods instead of bars. I really like the fact that you can go with different placements with different diffusers and are able serve several different purposes!

OP
OP

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving offroad at night has it's own challenges, especially in an area you are not familiar with. One of the biggest issues I have at night are the shadows that mask deep holes or fissures. The higher the light, the more obvious the holes. The lower the light, the worse the shadows.

I do not like roof mounted light bars, mostly because I think they make me look like a douche, but there is a reason so many people have lights mounted as high as possible. A good lightbar will have both spot and flood lights. I'd rather have a couple of old school KC type lights mounted on the roof. Pod lights are good to have on the corners because you always need more light in the dark.

If you spend a lot of time offroad in the dark, you will figure out what you need. I've never had too much light.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm going with the pods. Lightbar = Whistle City!
Agree. After having one on my Jeep Iā€™m going with the pod lights, may add a small light bar to the brush guard
Sponsored