Sponsored

Poll Engine vs Transmission Choices or Compromise?

How would you have ordered if you could have both AND did you compromise? (Answer both)

• Total voters

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted the 2.3, I wanted the 7MT, so I'm happy.

If the 2.7 was an inline 6 I would have been interested.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was originally wanting a 2 door base 2.7 MT with SAS... Obviously, once a 2.7 meant going to the auto, I decided to take advantage of the best features in the automatic and opted for highway comfort on my way to any trails - Enter the mall crawler, which allowed me to get most of the features that I wanted, without the SAS package (already have new wheels and tires on the way - RTR w/ 295/70R17 M/T tires). So there will obviously be a suspension change in my future (probably non-SAS Badlands take-off's) and a manual disconnect for the front sway bar.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted the 2.3, I wanted the 7MT, so I'm happy.

If the 2.7 was an inline 6 I would have been interested.
Thatā€™s an interesting comment thatā€™s got me thinking. I know the trade-offs between inline 6s and the vees, but if it was an inline, which Ford block would you pick?

I donā€™t know much about Ford inline 6s, but I know the reputation of the Mopar slant 6.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thatā€™s an interesting comment thatā€™s got me thinking. I know the trade-offs between inline 6s and the vees, but if it was an inline, which Ford block would you pick?

I donā€™t know much about Ford inline 6s, but I know the reputation of the Mopar slant 6.
The Barra design is easily Ford's best inline 6. Never used in the US though.

I have a strong distaste for V engines from a serviceability standpoint.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am leaning towards the Badlands, MIC top, keypad, tow packageā€¦.Then it starts to get fuzzy between manual transmission or 2.7Lā€¦..That decision will determine SAS or notā€¦I really want the Squatch package with 2.7, but also want a manualā€¦..šŸ¤£
I am waiting to see how everything shakes out....I am leaning towards the auto with 2.7 since I want the bigger engine.

Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Compromise? Yes and no, I guess.

I wanted manual and historically would prefer a V6 over a ā€œfour-banger,ā€ and at very first blush I saw accepting the smaller engine as a compromise, but this is not your fatherā€™s four-banger. After reading about the turbo EcoBoost, I was and still am confident with the 2.3L manual. If the manual were offered with the V6, Iā€™d have ordered that, but I donā€™t feel Iā€™ve compromised.

I previously swore Iā€™d never get another manual, due to most of my driving being around town, but after driving a sluggish auto V6 the last several years, Iā€™m ready for the manual again.

I wonā€™t be towing anything heavy, but I am excited about being able to have quick, sporty acceleration.

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanted a manual but the options I choose wouldnā€™t let me get it. Just the mid package. šŸ¤·

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted a manual but the options I choose wouldnā€™t let me get it. Just the mid package. šŸ¤·
I had to have the 7MT, and originally I reserved a BD. By the time I optioned out what I wanted, I ended up in the BL with the 2.3/7MT and High Package.

I did test drive the Ranger with the 2.3 10AT and was satisfied with the output of the 2.3. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2.0 with a Stage 1 tune in my Focus ST with the 6MT - that car convinced me the number of cylinders does not equate to the power that can be unleashedā€¦or the fun factor of a vehicle. Iā€™d prefer the 2.7 with the 7MT, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m giving up much going with the 2.3.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wanted 2.3L Manual on Black Diamond, but unfortunately wife's need for mid-package > my desire for manual. The Badlands is too much of a price increase to justify when we already moved our price range up from the planned Big Bend to the Black Diamond with cyber orange and adding the adv 4x4.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, if Ford was ever going to have put the manual behind the V6 they would have handled the bellhousing differently at the development stage. The 7MT was pretty much a clean sheet. They could have done what they wanted. They are a different pattern between the 2.3L and 2.7L. It's my understanding that the 7MT is a one-piece casting (no separate bellhousing). To have another casting done, specific to the V6, would be crazy expensive at this juncture for the amount of manual sales that will be there after the rabid enthusiast crowd gets their pre-orders taken care of. It's probably be cheaper to do a six-speed from say the Mustang than make the 7MT viable for the V6.

Sponsored

deanfromkelowna

Wildtrak
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice build.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, but who knows for Model Year 2022ā€¦.Manual with Squatch is supposed to be available and since Ford left the door open you never know right? Maybe enough people will see this poll, vote for 2.7L with Manual and Ford will make it an option šŸ˜
I appreciate the optimism, but either way I know I'll survive with the 2.3L.