Sponsored

Poll Question: How well do stubby antennas work on your Bronco?

Success with stubby antennas? How well do they work?

• Total voters

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Antena science doesn't allow those stubby antennas to be nearly as effective as the stock one. It comes down to the frequency and amplitude of the signal.
The standard antenna is sized (2.5ft) to be roughly one-quarter the length of the radio waves in the FM band.
A shorter antenna is going to have lower gain without a signal amplifier.
Iā€™ve heard this being said, and I really donā€™t know how all of this works, so Iā€™m in no position to doubt it. Howeverā€¦

Our Bronco, with a 3ā€ stubby antenna, gets better reception across the board than my F150 with its OEM antenna. When I tried the stubby on my truck, it was even worse. I could not any get any AM station at all, as opposed to just really buzzy and annoying reception with the OEM. (Both vehicles pull in FM just fine, regardless of which antenna is mounted). Is it possible that different the radios just vary in quality? And that maybe thatā€™s more important than antenna length?

Another example: I have a cordless Ryobi shop radio (the little one about a foot tall) and it gets better reception than either of our vehicles, and it has almost no antenna at all. And Iā€™ve had little hand-held portable radios that could pull in AM stations from 1000 miles away during parts of the day.

I feel like itā€™s not so much a matter of antenna length, but more about Fordā€™s crappy radiosā€¦
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve heard this being said, and I really donā€™t know how all of this works, so Iā€™m in no position to doubt it. Howeverā€¦

Our Bronco, with a 3ā€ stubby antenna, gets better reception across the board than my F150 with its OEM antenna. When I tried the stubby on my truck, it was even worse. I could not any get any AM station at all, as opposed to just really buzzy and annoying reception with the OEM. (Both vehicles pull in FM just fine, regardless of which antenna is mounted). Is it possible that different the radios just vary in quality? And that maybe thatā€™s more important than antenna length?

Another example: I have a cordless Ryobi shop radio (the little one about a foot tall) and it gets better reception than either of our vehicles, and it has almost no antenna at all. And Iā€™ve had little hand-held portable radios that could pull in AM stations from 1000 miles away during parts of the day.

I feel like itā€™s not so much a matter of antenna length, but more about Fordā€™s crappy radiosā€¦

They fold the antenna in small devices to improve the gain. They also will increase the gain through signal amplification and noise reduction (it's all available in a single chip package) .

Your F150 probably has a problem with the antenna wire that runs from the antenna to the back of the audio system. Maybe it isn't fully seated. The dealer should take care of that.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There no need for a poll. Thereā€™s only one answer, they are worse than stock antenna for reception. It may or may not be an issue depending on signal where you live/drive.

nickyp1020

Badlands
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of us. No cable in my area, so my phone is my home Hotspot, not going to waste data something I can get for free.
unlimmited data? i feel like these days UNLIMMITED data is cheaper than having a limit and using it for a hotspot?

Sponsored

Mborkow31

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL / Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does the smaller stubbies effect XM reception? I live in the mountains so radio isn't really an option for me anyway. XM on the other hand is much much better as long as I have Line of Sight.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the smaller stubbies effect XM reception? I live in the mountains so radio isn't really an option for me anyway. XM on the other hand is much much better as long as I have Line of Sight.
Xm antenna is on the back of the roll cage on top of it. Nothing to do with the radio antenna.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried 2 shorties. Not nearly the range of the oem. Became apparent 25 miles from my house. So for the city they work like normal. If youā€™re in the country, mileage will vary. So may be best to carry both in the truck. The shorty to impress your friends and the oem to get the ball game out in the sticks.

ldcobb2

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cencalbroncos.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone find a shorty that will allow the passenger side wiper blade to clear the antenna when lifting it to clean the windshield?

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone find a shorty that will allow the passenger side wiper blade to clear the antenna when lifting it to clean the windshield?
Someone should be demoted for that oversight!
I'm cleaning bugs off sometimes twice a day. Every time I lift the passenger blade I curse the person who approved that
Sponsored