Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m looking into purchasing a portable air compressor for when my Bronco comes in. I don’t plan on airing up/down frequently so I’m not interested in OBA.
Ive been looking at either the ARB CKMP12 (same as Ford performance accessory) or the Viair 400P.
Viairs website says the 400P takes around 2 minutes for a 33” tire to go from 15-30 psi. Would I expect similar for the ARB?
Anybody have opinions on which model I should choose?

https://arbusa.com/air-compressors/portable-air-compressors/

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/400p
Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I run the 400P. I use it fairly often to air up my tires as well as others. It s pretty quiet and airs my tires back up quickly. It takes just a few minutes to go from 8psi to 20 (Samurai) on my 33s. It takes a bit longer to go to 30-35 on other tires, but it’s just about the right amount of time to get all my recovery gear stowed, perform an inspection of my vehicle and grab a sandwich. The bag is sturdy, fits my tire repair kit and the bag handles the hot pump without damage. Just throw it in the bag and zip it up. Get a good quality inflator and your ready to go. There are faster ones out there, but the 400P offers good performance for the price.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m looking into purchasing a portable air compressor for when my Bronco comes in. I don’t plan on airing up/down frequently so I’m not interested in OBA.
Ive been looking at either the ARB CKMP12 (same as Ford performance accessory) or the Viair 400P.
Viairs website says the 400P takes around 2 minutes for a 33” tire to go from 15-30 psi. Would I expect similar for the ARB?

I have that ARB compressor, but it's hard mounted on my buggy. I also have the Smittybuilt portable in the Jeep. Both work fine. Duty cycle is more important than fill time. A few minutes here or there filling up the tires isn't much of a deal. I'd recommend balancing price and duty cycle, and I'd probably get the 400P.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been debating this myself. Subscribed.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are the two I am down to as well.
Good to see my time spent researching and comparing has led me down the same path, with the same two end results. Says a lot about the products.

Anyone else want to chime in with opinions/experiences?

I like the Viair kit and storage bag a bit better than the ARB. I like it comes with 60' of hose (2 each of 30' sections). Meaning I stand a better chance of being able to help someone in need who might be 32' away, if that makes sense.

I like the size and design of the ARB. The tackle box-like kit is convenient. Less or more room to put a plug kit, some more essentials in? Maybe. Maybe not.

Duty Cycle and CFM mean everything to me on the choice, and honestly it's still coming up pretty much a draw between the two. Price point is virtually the same.

I checked out that Smittybilt also. Great price, good reviews. I do not like the fact to be interchangeable with your current fittings/disconnects, you have to cut and splice a real QC onto the end of their supplied hose (they have oddball fittings standard).
I'm all about being able to go to the nearest hardware store in any given location I am in and get stuff off the shelf to replace broken stuff vs. having to email/call a service line and wait for shipping.

Amazon.com: VIAIR 450P-RV Silver Automatic Portable Compressor Kit (45053), 1 Pack : Automotive

Amazon.com: ARB (CKMP12) 12V High Performance Portable Air Compressor : Automotive

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have that ARB hard mounted in my FJ, been using it for almost 10 years and it's still going. I keep it has an emergency reserve or to help buddies inflate faster, because i have moved on to a CO2 system. It is a great little compressor, it's not the fastest, but like said before, it does the job and gives you time to inspect and relax. It does get really hot though, careful when undoing the hose...

Sponsored

rabidmoravians

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
The larger harbor freight one works great. I used it all summer at the beach in 100 degree weather and it gets hot but it works pretty fast

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I purchased the following Viair kit three years ago, and it's still running strong. Mine runs the active rear suspension in my 77 GMC Motorhome so it gets used continuously. After three years, it still works like new. They also offer an onboard air kit that allows remote mounting of the tank and compressor. The air system I have is made up of two large air springs and this inflates them quickly. I would purchase Viair again if the need arose.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-150-PS...&keywords=viair+150+psi&qid=1634912114&sr=8-1

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Viair 400 automatic. I measured 2 minutes flat to air up my stock black diamond tires from 18 to 35 psi.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs