Position Sensitive Dampers?

30ips

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
So, I searched on his but couldn’t find an answer that I could understand, lol. Can anyone explain what position sensitive dampers do, in a language that a person that isn’t a suspension expert can understand?

What are the advantages in various situations?

I’m thinking mansquatch now and really want to know what that particular upgrade delivers.

Advertisement

Apples

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing. Come On Bronco!!
Without getting super technical, it's a progressive shock. If you've ever felt a shock "bottom out" it's a jarring experience. There's usually a pop or a bang and it reverberates through the vehicle. It's very uncomfortable. You quickly learn not to do the things that cause it. On the Bilsteins, at each end of the shocks travel, it stiffens. So the impact of bottoming out is reduced or eliminated. That means a more comfortable ride off-road or in other cases where you're really using the suspension.

OP
30ips

30ips

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Without getting super technical, it's a progressive shock. If you've ever felt a shock "bottom out" it's a jarring experience. There's usually a pop or a bang and it reverberates through the vehicle. It's very uncomfortable. You quickly learn not to do the things that cause it. On the Bilsteins, at each end of the shocks travel, it stiffens. So the impact of bottoming out is reduced or eliminated. That means a more comfortable ride off-road or in other cases where you're really using the suspension.
Thank you! That makes sense. I have definitely bottomed suspension, though mostly on dirt bikes. This makes total sense, particularly in the context of Ford calling the Wildtrack a high speed off-road setup. And that it also stiffens if it over extends. Thanks again for making it easy to understand, I really appreciate it.

Advertisement

Advertisement