Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with the bronco front swaybar is ford vulcanised the frame. mount bushings to the bar. So if you remove the links, you can’t push the bar up and away. So eventually the CV boots will get cut by the bar end.
I really appreciate it
I have been asking and done my share of fab the last 30 plus years

i don’t have a bronco to look at and have been asking about the JKS old school tj style disconnect

your explanation makes absolutely perfect sense
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72K5Blazer, 1980Toyota Hilux, 2014 silverado1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really appreciate it
I have been asking and done my share of fab the last 30 plus years

i don’t have a bronco to look at and have been asking about the JKS old school tj style disconnect

your explanation makes absolutely perfect sense
We tried it in Moab on the Race Red bronco. We made it through a few obstacles and trashed a CV. 🤫

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like it alot
I’m curious if all the ‘take my money’ people still give their money for it when they find the cost isn’t $199.00???
It is basically around a $1300-$2000 cost with Ford (Depending on how one builds their Bronco). Why would you think I or anyone else would consider this a $200 part. Your point of view is pretty sour.

You might want to know your audience a bit better...

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is basically around a $1300-$2000 cost with Ford (Depending on how one builds their Bronco). Why would you think I or anyone else would consider this a $200 part. Your point of view is pretty sour.

You might want to know your audience a bit better...
I watched the hardtop thread
Quite a few were and remain disappointed at the price

I’m not sour at all
I understand what things cost

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone educate me on "dual rate".. my primitive lizard brain is thinking, "Oh cool! It does TWO things instead of just the ONE thing a swaybar does! That's......good?"

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I watched the hardtop thread
Quite a few were and remain disappointed at the price

I’m not sour at all
I understand what things cost
Your statement is not supporting that many of us know what things cost as well. To broad of a brush.

Here is an example of how some of us think... Monday of this week I ordered a JD X730 with a number of accessories. I could have just kept my JD X350 or moved to a JD X500 series. But I wanted a near bullet proof and reliable mower for the next 15-20 years that allows me to no longer need to rent a tractor for a few yard duties like I have to now. And we are not talking about $200 differences here...

Not to mention, cost is relative. It has to be the right part for the right cost to last and be worth it.

In other news... This is why we purchased a Wildtrak instead of a Badlands. Others loved the BD and that is wonderful.

We knew companies would look at taking the aftermarket Jeep disconnect systems available now (After a lot of improvements over the years) and seeing if they could adapt them to these Broncos.

For this particular part I wanted an aftermarket disconnect a bit higher and tighter to the frame (If possible), serviceable with reduced stress points without being a week link. Knowing how ell these perform on Jeeps, makes this a wanted item for me...

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The problem with the bronco front swaybar is ford vulcanised the frame. mount bushings to the bar. So if you remove the links, you can’t push the bar up and away. So eventually the CV boots will get cut by the bar end.
Well, I just installed an ARB twin compressor and striped away all of the air locker wiring to clean things up. I figured I would never need it???

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone educate me on "dual rate".. my primitive lizard brain is thinking, "Oh cool! It does TWO things instead of just the ONE thing a swaybar does! That's......good?"
It was pioneered on short wheel base 4x4's by a Jeep guy from SoCal, and a company called OffroadOnly, about 20 years ago. See the ORO Swayloc: https://offroadonly.com/swayloc/. They patterned it after racing sway bars and the basic function of the Currie AntiRock at the time. ORO had also been shipping computer-controlled air suspensions for Jeeps and so this type of sway bar was complimentary to their offerings... they went for a patent on the swaybar but Teraflex put up a legal challenge to the patent, and there was a big dust up about the legal stuff and who was copying who. After that, more companies started copying the dual rate design.

The conventional anti-sway bar is a torsion bar. If you look at the Currie AntiRock, it is a similar kind of torsion bar as the OEM bars, but it has a lighter rate for off-road use, and allows more suspension travel (while retaining some of the suspension benefits of running a bar, instead of disconnecting it entirely).

The dual rate bars provide an off-road lighter rate torsion bar like the Antirock. But it is then sleeved on the outside by another torsion bar, that once engaged, provides a heavier rate torsion more like what you'd find with an OEM anti-sway bar for street use. There is a mechanical mechanism to toggle between the engagement of the two bars. So you can toggle between two different torsion rates--one for the street, and one for off-road. The various options that are out there all do it a little bit differently.

The upshot is that it is in some ways superior to the OEM disconnects like the Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon ones. In those, when you disconnect them, there is no torsion effect from the sway bar--it's gone, and functions effectively like you removed the sway bar from the suspension. With the dual rate bars, when you disconnect it, you still have the torsion effect of the lighter rate off-road torsion bar. At least on solid front axle Jeeps, you can have better off-road mobility results with at least a lighter rate torsion bar on the front, as your front suspension will work better with the rear suspension when there is at least some torsion bar in the front. I think it remains to be seen if that's necessary on the Bronco suspension, but I'm glad people are experimenting and finding out for us.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your statement is not supporting that many of us know what things cost as well. To broad of a brush.

Here is an example of how some of us think... Monday of this week I ordered a JD X730 with a number of accessories. I could have just kept my JD X350 or moved to a JD X500 series. But I wanted a near bullet proof and reliable mower for the next 15-20 years that allows me to no longer need to rent a tractor for a few yard duties like I have to now. And we are not talking about $200 differences here...

Not to mention, cost is relative. It has to be the right part for the right cost to last and be worth it.

In other news... This is why we purchased a Wildtrak instead of a Badlands. Others loved the BD and that is wonderful.

We knew companies would look at taking the aftermarket Jeep disconnect systems available now (After a lot of improvements over the years) and seeing if they could adapt them to these Broncos.

For this particular part I wanted an aftermarket disconnect a bit higher and tighter to the frame (If possible), serviceable with reduced stress points without being a week link. Knowing how ell these perform on Jeeps, makes this a wanted item for me...
Cool. Let’s see the take my money crowd buy it .

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great question! The main swaybar simulates the factory swaybar rate. When the air actuated shuttle unlocks the main swaybar, a smaller swaybar inside takes over. This helps reduce spring back without limiting the suspension travel when you need it.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It was pioneered on short wheel base 4x4's by a Jeep guy from SoCal, and a company called OffroadOnly, about 20 years ago. See the ORO Swayloc: https://offroadonly.com/swayloc/. They patterned it after racing sway bars and the basic function of the Currie AntiRock at the time. ORO had also been shipping computer-controlled air suspensions for Jeeps and so this type of sway bar was complimentary to their offerings... they went for a patent on the swaybar but Teraflex put up a legal challenge to the patent, and there was a big dust up about the legal stuff and who was copying who. After that, more companies started copying the dual rate design.

The conventional anti-sway bar is a torsion bar. If you look at the Currie AntiRock, it is a similar kind of torsion bar as the OEM bars, but it has a lighter rate for off-road use, and allows more suspension travel (while retaining some of the suspension benefits of running a bar, instead of disconnecting it entirely).

The dual rate bars provide an off-road lighter rate torsion bar like the Antirock. But it is then sleeved on the outside by another torsion bar, that once engaged, provides a heavier rate torsion more like what you'd find with an OEM anti-sway bar for street use. There is a mechanical mechanism to toggle between the engagement of the two bars. So you can toggle between two different torsion rates--one for the street, and one for off-road. The various options that are out there all do it a little bit differently.

The upshot is that it is in some ways superior to the OEM disconnects like the Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon ones. In those, when you disconnect them, there is no torsion effect from the sway bar--it's gone, and functions effectively like you removed the sway bar from the suspension. With the dual rate bars, when you disconnect it, you still have the torsion effect of the lighter rate off-road torsion bar. At least on solid front axle Jeeps, you can have better off-road mobility results with at least a lighter rate torsion bar on the front, as your front suspension will work better with the rear suspension when there is at least some torsion bar in the front. I think it remains to be seen if that's necessary on the Bronco suspension, but I'm glad people are experimenting and finding out for us.
Solid explanation!

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, I just installed an ARB twin compressor and striped away all of the air locker wiring to clean things up. I figured I would never need it???
I think you can figure out how to get it back. 😉

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sway-A-Way did a bar in a bar design with an adjuster to control when the second bar would kick in. Similar to a VW adjustable spring plate. Late 80s early 90s. Main guys using them were in NASCAR. Worked so good that a rule was enacted to ban them. At the time there was no interest in the automotive aftermarket, so it was shelved.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Last edited: