1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched the hardtop thread
Quite a few were and remain disappointed at the price

I’m not sour at all
I understand what things cost
LOL, those who were disappointed at the price of the hardtop live in their own little utopia. Personally, I thought the price of the top was quite fair.

The cost of this swaybar is already known, so no one should be caught off-guard by it.
Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, those who were disappointed at the price of the hardtop live in their own little utopia. Personally, I thought the price of the top was quite fair.

The cost of this swaybar is already known, so no one should be caught off-guard by it.
I like the sway bar a lot. It seems to be a great choice for the wildtrack
Still trying to balance cost vs need on all of mine. But I love seeing innovation

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sway-A-Way did a bar in a bar design with an adjuster to control when the second bar would kick in. Similar to a VW adjustable spring plate. Late 80s early 90s. Main guys using them were in NASCAR. Worked so good that a rule was enacted to ban them. At the time there was no interest in the automotive aftermarket, so it was shelved.
Ok, that piece fits. I vaguely remember those guys saying way back when that they had some inspiration from a NASCAR design. Good to know more of the history!

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the sway bar a lot. It seems to be a great choice for the wildtrack
Still trying to balance cost vs need on all of mine. But I love seeing innovation
Agreed, it's a cool piece of kit. Great to see options for those who don't have the factory one.

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like it, looks like the Jeep ones sell for around $1300. The price difference between a similarly equipped non-sas BL and a sas BD is about $2K. So for anyone like me, that prefers the grill and interior of the BD, you could get the same functionality as the BL by adding one.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was pioneered on short wheel base 4x4's by a Jeep guy from SoCal, and a company called OffroadOnly, about 20 years ago. See the ORO Swayloc: https://offroadonly.com/swayloc/. They patterned it after racing sway bars and the basic function of the Currie AntiRock at the time. ORO had also been shipping computer-controlled air suspensions for Jeeps and so this type of sway bar was complimentary to their offerings... they went for a patent on the swaybar but Teraflex put up a legal challenge to the patent, and there was a big dust up about the legal stuff and who was copying who. After that, more companies started copying the dual rate design.

The conventional anti-sway bar is a torsion bar. If you look at the Currie AntiRock, it is a similar kind of torsion bar as the OEM bars, but it has a lighter rate for off-road use, and allows more suspension travel (while retaining some of the suspension benefits of running a bar, instead of disconnecting it entirely).

The dual rate bars provide an off-road lighter rate torsion bar like the Antirock. But it is then sleeved on the outside by another torsion bar, that once engaged, provides a heavier rate torsion more like what you'd find with an OEM anti-sway bar for street use. There is a mechanical mechanism to toggle between the engagement of the two bars. So you can toggle between two different torsion rates--one for the street, and one for off-road. The various options that are out there all do it a little bit differently.

The upshot is that it is in some ways superior to the OEM disconnects like the Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon ones. In those, when you disconnect them, there is no torsion effect from the sway bar--it's gone, and functions effectively like you removed the sway bar from the suspension. With the dual rate bars, when you disconnect it, you still have the torsion effect of the lighter rate off-road torsion bar. At least on solid front axle Jeeps, you can have better off-road mobility results with at least a lighter rate torsion bar on the front, as your front suspension will work better with the rear suspension when there is at least some torsion bar in the front. I think it remains to be seen if that's necessary on the Bronco suspension, but I'm glad people are experimenting and finding out for us.
Okay, so net/net is that when you're hard-core wheeling... you get a baby swaybar (do DO do DOO do DOO) for some....minimal swaybar-ness? So you can wheel a bit faster I assume? While still retaining normal swaybar-ness for regular driving?

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, so net/net is that when you're hard-core wheeling... you get a baby swaybar (do DO do DOO do DOO) for some....minimal swaybar-ness? So you can wheel a bit faster I assume? While still retaining normal swaybar-ness for regular driving?
Pretty much. With the dual rate bar locked in you get the torsion rate for regular driving. Unlocked you get a reduced torsion rate for off-road (similar to what you would get with a Currie AntiRock).

With the reduced off-road torsion rate, yes, you could move faster through some of the faster speed off-road stuff vs. being totally disconnected. But it also helps (at least on a solid front axle with a coil sprung suspension) when off camber or in the rocks--totally disconnected, your front axle can flop around a lot--with at least a lower rate torsion bar you can get the effect of the torsion bar pulling a bit of force through the frame to make the front and rear suspension work together a bit better, when you are off-camber and flexed out. Remains to be seen if that is needed as much on the Bronco suspension, though.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72K5Blazer, 1980Toyota Hilux, 2014 silverado1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes? and Yess! So the small bar will take that snap back out of the chassis when you drive down into a hole compressing one corner of the front suspension. if you've ever hit a hard hole on one side of the vehicle and your head hit the side window cause you weren't ready for it, that's what the intention of the small bar is solving for. Vs no swaybar.

Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great but…

Ford Bronco Possible G2 dual rate swaybar -- in testing on Bronco 1645811863922

awall987

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a great option. I have a Base Squatch on order (I'll get it some day, right?) and there are 2 things I want that I'm missing out on.

First is 360 camera, nothing I can do about that, guess I'll just add a front camera and call it a day.

Second, is the fancy swaybar disconnect. Any time I change my build to get either of these it ends up adding about $10k, killing the fantastic value I was getting. So this is a viable option.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is a great option. I have a Base Squatch on order (I'll get it some day, right?) and there are 2 things I want that I'm missing out on.

First is 360 camera, nothing I can do about that, guess I'll just add a front camera and call it a day.

Second, is the fancy swaybar disconnect. Any time I change my build to get either of these it ends up adding about $10k, killing the fantastic value I was getting. So this is a viable option.
That's what I'm talking about. Ford kept the swaybar disconnect close to the premium build sheets when in reality, flex before lockers gets you through the obstacles easier.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model