Sponsored

Possible I have a used part in my Bronco?

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I purchased a new Inifiniti back in 94. It was one of the early ones for the new model year. I had mentioned something during the sale that I liked a different style wheels that they sold on another model than the wheels that came with the car I was buying. This was an off hand comment. Prior to delivery they called to say they had a spare set of the wheels I preferred and if I wanted I could have them. I said that was cool and agreed.

At time of delivery all seemed fine, but after I got it home I noticed that those wheels they gave me were horribly scratched up. Nothing anyone would see unless one bent down. Clearly they were used rims.
Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My theory on it is it possible that they put a Ford ranger gas cap instead of a Ford bronco gas cap on yours? Letā€™s not forget that the Ford Ranger is also being built on the same line and at the same time theyā€™re building the Broncos thereā€™s a very high possibility that somebody was not paying attention to the build that they were doing at the time.
But it should still be new Ford ranger cap

vicdet

Outer Banks
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport & Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But it should still be new Ford ranger cap
It could be perhaps maybe they donā€™t have them in separate bins or containers and just put everything in one bin and it could be that it was at the bottom of the bin and got all scraped up. I do agree it does look used and beat up

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very perplexing and definitely one of those little conundrums that will have people guessing. So Iā€™ll take a stab

the idea of this being damaged during production either at the supplier or the factory looks to be unlikely because the wear of the center cap definitely looks from natural use. Itā€™s more than the outer ring being rubbed, but someone has clearly stabbed through the cap with a gas filler. For years. Not just from 120 miles of use. So that rules out ā€œbottom of the binā€ and a couple other theories.

as far as an employee swapping with his own. Idk. The probability of someone stealing a new part X that of someone actually caring about the condition of their gas filler is very very low. If the part were something of more importance or something with more appeal maybe. But a gas filler?

If your bronco left the factory without the any gas filler - could be an oversight knowing it was going to dirt mountain anyway and they forgot to go back to add it. It was either noticed 1. by a ford employee regularly moving your car to and from dirt mountain (you do have 120 miles) that needed to get gas, and noticed it was missing. And hastily replaced through another buddy at ford and had little concern of adding a used partā€¦.or 2. Noticed by your dealer who also hastily swapped with a used part they had on hand without causing a delay on delivery.

now - what throws a bit of a wrench in this is that if your bronco left the factory without a gas filler cap it may have thrown a check engine light because your oxygen levels would be off. I know my Volvo could commonly get a check engine light if the cap less filler is overly dirty and not fully sealed. So maybe you did have something pop up on the dash, and it could have have been one of multiple reasons it was sent to dirt mountain in the first place. Then when they tried to remedy the check engine light after that fact, they threw on a used gas filler on hand to test, and the check engine light was remedied, and then forgot to go back an swap out with a new part before delivery. So yeah, Iā€™m gonna stick with that theory. I could totally see a dirt mountain crew troubleshooting a check engine light, quickly checked the cap filler and realized it was never even installed. It was more like a ā€œFrankie, go grab me a gas capā€ situationā€¦and if not that, then maybe just a faulty gas cap that threw a check engine lightly that was hastily swapped out by dirt mountain crew.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kboom180

kboom180

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very perplexing and definitely one of those little conundrums that will have people guessing. So Iā€™ll take a stab

the idea of this being damaged during production either at the supplier or the factory looks to be unlikely because the wear of the center cap definitely looks from natural use. Itā€™s more than the outer ring being rubbed, but someone has clearly stabbed through the cap with a gas filler. For years. Not just from 120 miles of use. So that rules out ā€œbottom of the binā€ and a couple other theories.

as far as an employee swapping with his own. Idk. The probability of someone stealing a new part X that of someone actually caring about the condition of their gas filler is very very low. If the part were something of more importance or something with more appeal maybe. But a gas filler?

If your bronco left the factory without the any gas filler - could be an oversight knowing it was going to dirt mountain anyway and they forgot to go back to add it. It was either noticed 1. by a ford employee regularly moving your car to and from dirt mountain (you do have 120 miles) that needed to get gas, and noticed it was missing. And hastily replaced through another buddy at ford and had little concern of adding a used partā€¦.or 2. Noticed by your dealer who also hastily swapped with a used part they had on hand without causing a delay on delivery.

now - what throws a bit of a wrench in this is that if your bronco left the factory without a gas filler cap it may have thrown a check engine light because your oxygen levels would be off. I know my Volvo could commonly get a check engine light if the cap less filler is overly dirty and not fully sealed. So maybe you did have something pop up on the dash, and it could have have been one of multiple reasons it was sent to dirt mountain in the first place. Then when they tried to remedy the check engine light after that fact, they threw on a used gas filler on hand to test, and the check engine light was remedied, and then forgot to go back an swap out with a new part before delivery. So yeah, Iā€™m gonna stick with that theory. I could totally see a dirt mountain crew troubleshooting a check engine light, quickly checked the cap filler and realized it was never even installed. It was more like a ā€œFrankie, go grab me a gas capā€ situationā€¦and if not that, then maybe just a faulty gas cap that threw a check engine lightly that was hastily swapped out by dirt mountain crew.
This definitely seems like the most plausible answer so far. There were other things (not visible wear) that just seemed a bit off with this Bronco. That it had a bit more history to it than just sitting at dirt mountain waiting to get to me. It felt like something slightly used but factory refurbished. However, without another brand new Bronco to compare it to, I probably will never really know. In normal times with lots of Bronco options, my spidey-senses probably would have led me to the next one on the lot.

Anyhow, I guess for all of you that are still waiting on your Bronco, definitely give it a good once-over so the dealer can address any weirdness!

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CarStory

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW GTI, Subaru STI, Toyota Yaris HB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is more of a ā€˜thatā€™s weirdā€™ as opposed to a complaint. Overall I generally like my new bronco. However, I noticed when I went to fill up for gas the first time that the capless fuel filler neck looked well used. I mean like, 10 years of use used. I attached a picture but it doesnā€™t quite do it justice to just how old it looks. Lots of nozzle scratching and the ā€˜easy fuelā€™ paint is well worn. Is it possible I got a used part? Again, not a huge deal but kind of a bummer. One thing I though of was that I have a two door silver base. The same as that one from the promo shots last year at Halloween. Is it possible thatā€™s the bronco I was sold? Kidding. I hope...

Ford Bronco Possible I have a used part in my Bronco? D84E7B87-29F8-433D-94D6-8CF92623FB81
I'd be asking the service department about this ASAP. Unacceptable condition for any new vehicle.

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Possible fire in the filler neck? I have heard of ungrounded fuel filler nozzle causing a spark and igniting fuel vapors in the filler neck. It propogates as smoke coming out of fill neck. No visible flames, no explosion.

Oops. Sorry not allowed to use the word ā€œfireā€ here. Lets call that an unexpected thermal event.

That could certainly explain why the part looks like that.

Hereā€™s a reference on this topic.
http://www2.ece.rochester.edu/~jones/demos/refueling.pdf

Last edited:

Sponsored

Garret Sterling

Black Diamond
First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think thats it. It has that years old look. Not sure how many times they can fuel a new vehicle. Even an 1/8th of a tank at a time haha.
True, there's gotta be more to this story; it has to be a used/transplanted part.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
True, there's gotta be more to this story; it has to be a used/transplanted part.
Or a non-UV rated part that was left exposed to the sun in dirt mountain because of a missing or open fuel door.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is more of a ā€˜thatā€™s weirdā€™ as opposed to a complaint. Overall I generally like my new bronco. However, I noticed when I went to fill up for gas the first time that the capless fuel filler neck looked well used. I mean like, 10 years of use used. I attached a picture but it doesnā€™t quite do it justice to just how old it looks. Lots of nozzle scratching and the ā€˜easy fuelā€™ paint is well worn. Is it possible I got a used part? Again, not a huge deal but kind of a bummer. One thing I though of was that I have a two door silver base. The same as that one from the promo shots last year at Halloween. Is it possible thatā€™s the bronco I was sold? Kidding. I hope...

Ford Bronco Possible I have a used part in my Bronco? D84E7B87-29F8-433D-94D6-8CF92623FB81
Hi there ā€“ send a message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership. Iā€™ll look into this for you. Thanks!

slypops

Badlands
First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Ford F-150 4x4 , 11 JK wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Deformed possible. Seems like an odd part to be damaged as itā€™s pretty protected by the fuel door. But, Iā€™m sure it happens.
Well you know no dealer is going to believe you when you say that's on my brand new Bronco. Even the mechanic' s gonna whisper"bet his buddy's Ranger has a new gas cap" jk I don't even have mine yet
Sponsored