Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
This afternoon I started my Bronco for the first time in a week and a half and strangely the steering was not strong enough to turn the wheels when parked. I rolled forward and was able to turn with way more effort than when I last drove it. After a 20 km drive the steering is better but still requires much more effort than it should. It has been extremely cold the past few days (in the -30C range) and it was -20C when I started the Bronco but my 2012 F-150 also had electric power steering and never had any issue, even down to -46C. Has anyone else seen something like this?

I currently have 570 km on the odometer.
Sponsored

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This afternoon I started my Bronco for the first time in a week and a half and strangely the steering was not strong enough to turn the wheels when parked. I rolled forward and was able to turn with way more effort than when I last drove it. After a 20 km drive the steering is better but still requires much more effort than it should. It has been extremely cold the past few days (in the -30C range) and it was -20C when I started the Bronco but my 2012 F-150 also had electric power steering and never had any issue, even down to -46C. Has anyone else seen something like this?

Electric PS should not be affected by cold. Sounds like you need to take it in.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Just a quick update. This has not happened again since last week. The steering does feel heavier than it should but I really didnā€™t have enough seat time before this happened so I canā€™t be sure what the correlation is. Supposed to be be down around -40C here over the next couple of days so weā€™ll see what happens.

69BroncoX302

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15, 2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Holy balls that is cold. At that temp all sorts of things can go Wakky.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, went to convert -40C ... it's the parity point for C to F .... -40C = -40F

,,,and yeah, that's gottdam cold!!!

Sponsored

JMB

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a quick update. This has not happened again since last week. The steering does feel heavier than it should but I really didnā€™t have enough seat time before this happened so I canā€™t be sure what the correlation is. Supposed to be be down around -40C here over the next couple of days so weā€™ll see what happens.
Wow -40C....I wonder what that would be in Fahrenheit? ;)

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL, went to convert -40C ... it's the parity point for C to F .... -40C = -40F

,,,and yeah, that's gottdam cold!!!
Hereā€™s a geeky quick mental math conversion C to F. Take C x2 (take off 10 percent) and add 32. Very accurate.

So -40 x 2= -80 (take off 10 percent or 8)=-72 +32=-40ā€¦

pilot hack. And yeah -40 is arctic coldā€¦ many aircraft have limitations associated with temperatures-40 and below. Machines and electrical components start getting cranky at those temps. So definitely could be temp related.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Goodness Paul, -40 below. I think the next time I took my Bronco out in that much cold it would be loaded with everything I own, and headed south. :)

Hope there's nothing seriouly wrong with your steering. If possible maybe swing by your dealer, and let them check. That is they're not all frozen stiff.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Curious, what GOAT mode was it set for?

Sponsored

Ipe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350, Expedition, Defender, JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any puddles under the Bronco (or where it had been parked)? Could have ruptured something. Just a guess.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was in Normal.
I had experienced this a couple of time. It feels like the engine went off and the steering feels heavy. Those couple of time I had to check if the engine was still running.

No errors, no cold temperatures (almost 80 degrees) Not cold start and I'm on almost 900 miles on it already.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It was in Normal.
I believe some goat modes affect steering effort/feel. Just wondering if it could be an electrical issue of some kind. Does changing to Sport or Eco mode have any effect?

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So last night it was -27C and I hadnā€™t driven the Bronco since the night before. The steering was extremely stiff, sorta feeling like turning the wheel with an hydraulic system with the engine turned off. It took a few turns of the wheel for it to loosen up but still felt stiff.

This morning, at -33C the wheel was completely dead on startup. I had to turn it with both hands just to break it free. After a few turns back and forth it is still extremely stiff. I forgot to take a video.

I donā€™t know what could be causing this but it is super annoying and I will have to take it in to the dealer next week.
Sponsored