Sponsored

Possible rack / steering (tie rod sleeve) failure solution from Broncbuster?

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like these guys are abusing the Bronco and finding the weak points and thinking of good solutions. They also have a tie rod sleeve solution that seems pretty common among IFS crowds too.

Sponsored

imstimpy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He had eluded to a solution in other videos. Its nice to see it disclosed.

I'm curious what percentage of the steering failures are due to the internals dislodging versus plain ole bent tie rods.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's awesome if a plastic bushing will fix this issue. Now I wonder if you add this bushing and beef up the tie rods, what will break next? Steering knuckle? :oops: If this guy puts a couple more trips on his solution with those supermegachonky tires then I don't have many concerns left 😁

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's awesome if a plastic bushing will fix this issue. Now I wonder if you add this bushing and beef up the tie rods, what will break next? Steering knuckle? :oops: If this guy puts a couple more trips on his solution with those supermegachonky tires then I don't have many concerns left 😁
I’m more concerned with the cast aluminum rack busting. This may be some safety feature built into the rack (from the factory) for collisions and sheering/turning so the steering wheel doesn’t break your arms when you hit something.

I did really like his explanation of how the components break. Seems like every scenario we’ve seen come across B6G…….

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly what the new platform will start to create. A cottage industry of ingenious individuals who discover real issues with the Bronco and have the ability to engineer smart and seemingly very uncomplicated solutions to the problem. Watch these videos for an idea of what the issue was for him.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly what the new platform will start to create. A cottage industry of ingenious individuals who discover real issues with the Bronco and have the ability to engineer smart and seemingly very uncomplicated solutions to the problem. Watch these videos for an idea of what the issue was for him.
‘Watching those videos, you could tell he knew the exact scenarios where the tie rods would be comprised. Also,I just noticed in the screen capture for the video I posted, he was running an experimental tie rod on the passenger and it looks like a factory tie rod on the driver. It looks like here, he might have known what was causing it based on the enormous spacer on the custom one.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m more concerned with the cast aluminum rack busting. This may be some safety feature built into the rack (from the factory) for collisions and sheering/turning so the steering wheel doesn’t break your arms when you hit something.

I did really like his explanation of how the components break. Seems like every scenario we’ve seen come across B6G…….
If you hit something hard enough it's going to break. This is a fix for a relatively weak steering rack which seems to have worked for him. He isn't the only one who's had an issue either. there are numerous failures now including stock equipped Bronocs. Ford is actually re-engineering a solution to address the issues in the new Raptor model.

The stock steering tie rod ends are also a weak link. Combine this new part to upgrade your steering rack with a better tie rod linkage and I'm thinking a lot of Bronco owners will be in a good place for most normal, not severe duty, rock crawling and trail riding. This doesn't mean you have to do anything to your own truck, just gives you an opportunity to upgrade it if you want too.
Again nothing here is bullet proof but I have to give great respect to people who are focusing on fixing that which is clearly a weak link from the factory.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pricing will be around $350 and include the install tool.

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pricing will be around $350 and include the install tool.
Just saw that on the YouTube. Wonder if it includes the sleeves too. I see he hasn’t broken the rack yet with stickies full of water. Said he busted an axle after that.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you hit something hard enough it's going to break. This is a fix for a relatively weak steering rack which seems to have worked for him. He isn't the only one who's had an issue either. there are numerous failures now including stock equipped Bronocs. Ford is actually re-engineering a solution to address the issues in the new Raptor model.

The stock steering tie rod ends are also a weak link. Combine this new part to upgrade your steering rack with a better tie rod linkage and I'm thinking a lot of Bronco owners will be in a good place for most normal, not severe duty, rock crawling and trail riding. This doesn't mean you have to do anything to your own truck, just gives you an opportunity to upgrade it if you want too.
Again nothing here is bullet proof but I have to give great respect to people who are focusing on fixing that which is clearly a weak link from the factory.
After watching those vids (and virtually every rock crawling vid made these days), it does not address what happens in low traction situations when you HAVE to engage in decently moderate to aggressive wheelspin while climbing an obstacle. There was some minimal wheelspin on the bronco here and there, but nothing like "we" have **had** to do in the NE, anyway (I say "had" loosely, you can always give up, but WILL you).

I also wasn't crazy seeing the bronco porpoising during wheelspin. That can happen from a suspension design not well sorted out (or in this case, possibly compromised more towards street usage). My rig does that like crazy due to mogs with stockish rear leaf susp. Well designed mulitlink front/rear suspensions on solid axles don't do that and will highly minimze damage to drivetrain components (somewhat like you don't want you drag car to hop off the line).

Would like to see a vid of a new bronco stuck in sand ruts (and someone really getting into it trying to get unstuck), see how it responds. Do the wheels bounce up and down wildly and/or does the entire rig porpoise?

OP
OP
Flourman

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know if he regeared with those 40s or what ever he’s running. He’s got a manual too. Lots of speed when he was wheeling. IIRC, I think he’s only running a few inches of lift and a LOT of trimming on things.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The porpoising I think was due to those tires. Definitely more of a mud tire he had on there and with them aired down they couldn't get a good grip due to to much void in between the lugs.
I think the mod combined with the upgraded tie rod ends and high offset linkages totally addresses the issue with putting almost all the weight of the truck on the front wheels. The common concern many have stated is that when you load an independent front axle like that, the tie rods will always be the weak link. Here he has addressed the weak link by upgrading the rods and then enhanced a stock steering rack with an inexpensive mod to support those mods. It's a good mod in my book.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the ideal solution is to have an upgraded tie rod that isn't as brittle as the stock one. one that will bend rather than fracture/snap under load. This part would be perfect to drop into your recovery kit for a trail repair though. I'd like to see what the failure point is after a truck is retrofit with both the Bronco Splint and the steering rack bushing. Not sure I would see this being ideal for normal running conditions. Lets see how it gets implemented in the real world.
Sponsored