Sponsored

Possible rack / steering (tie rod sleeve) failure solution from Broncbuster?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First to market with a solution he's actually used on the trail. It is what it is. Any other options out there? No.
He's absolutely has that advantage of first to market, and can charge a huge premium for it for a while...he had just said he wasn't going to.
Sponsored

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess it could be considered a huge premium or it could be considered cost reimbursement for R&D. Again he discovered the issues from a lot of hours of hardcore wheeling and then took his expertise and engineered a fix for a brand new vehicle. Then he has to prototype the idea, go through iterative adjustments and test and redesign and produce. That all cost money and time. And CNC machining isn't cheap in low volume. Considering he doesn't really know what market there is for the product he has to produce a limited quantity. I'm pretty sure those machines aren't strictly dedicated to this project which means the job run has to be fit into the schedule and other jobs aren't getting done. From a manufacturing point of view, he's priced it accurately in my opinion.

One last thought. What is the value to each of you for the peace of mind of carrying a get out of jail free card on the trail? The splints are that. A piece of recovery kit that could save your day, week, perhaps even more if you get into a situation you hadn't planned on and loose a tie rod on a trail. For me the peace of mind in knowing I have them in the trunk is worth it. But I also find myself out on trails alone. Each person has to make up their own mind as to the value of that.

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will wait for the heavy duty Ford Performance tie rods and steering rack

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm. Interesting there is not some sort of "1-Ton" Tie Rod for the Bronco yet? In addition to the Plastic "Bushings" in the ends of the Steering Rack.

Heim Joint with Tapered Fitting at Steering Knuckle
DOM Rod with Threaded Ends with Jam Nuts (Both Ends - 1 LH, 1 RH)
and, not sure what fitting would look like at the Steering Rack? Mount to steering rack, pivot and thread into DOM Rod.

Any such thing? Or, do we wait for the stronger HD Steering Rack with Beefier TREs?

Last edited:

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm learning so let me ask:

Does a factory Sasquatch count as a lifted machine? Does SAS put more stress on the tie=rod than a non SAS?

Last edited:

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I guess it could be considered a huge premium or it could be considered cost reimbursement for R&D. Again he discovered the issues from a lot of hours of hardcore wheeling and then took his expertise and engineered a fix for a brand new vehicle. Then he has to prototype the idea, go through iterative adjustments and test and redesign and produce. That all cost money and time. And CNC machining isn't cheap in low volume. Considering he doesn't really know what market there is for the product he has to produce a limited quantity. I'm pretty sure those machines aren't strictly dedicated to this project which means the job run has to be fit into the schedule and other jobs aren't getting done. From a manufacturing point of view, he's priced it accurately in my opinion.

One last thought. What is the value to each of you for the peace of mind of carrying a get out of jail free card on the trail? The splints are that. A piece of recovery kit that could save your day, week, perhaps even more if you get into a situation you hadn't planned on and loose a tie rod on a trail. For me the peace of mind in knowing I have them in the trunk is worth it. But I also find myself out on trails alone. Each person has to make up their own mind as to the value of that.
This guy gets it, R&D along with the cost of overhead are not cheap. đź‘Ť

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm learning so let me ask:

Does a factory Sasquatch count as a lifted machine? Does SAS put more stress on the tie=rod than a non SAS?
Also learning, but I think simple physics would dictate that SAS does put more stress on the components. SAS wheels and tires are 100ish lbs vs. non-SAS at I believe 80ish lbs.

I'm playing it safe since I don't like being broke down in the middle of nowhere.

I was initially taken aback by the robust pricing of these reinforcing components but I want this guy to keep doing what he's doing and the best way to get that to happen is to pay him a reward.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A friend of mine had issues with his '02 ranger XLT after installing a long travel kit. He had gone through 6 rack and pinions in 4 years. He built a slider for it with a 1 3/4" x .250 wall housing, 1 inch shaft, bronze bushings and a seal to keep dirt out. He had a machine shop make the shaft and he built the rest of it. The slider took a lot of stress off the rack and made the steering much tighter and responsive. Its still not perfect as I know he has still replaced the rack and pinion a few times, but he installed the slider back in 2009 and the racks last him so much longer. His long travel kit has a clevis that is mounted to the rack where the inner tie rod goes. Seems like most of the parts I have seen so far just replace the outer tie rods, not both.

steeringslider2003.jpg

steeringslider2002.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

steeringslider007.jpg

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will wait for the heavy duty Ford Performance tie rods and steering rack
Heck I'm still waiting for my Bronco so why not wait on this. Yep, I want to see what Ford does with it. See if there is any change to the inner tie rods & what pricing compares to. Will continue to plan on carrying spares either way.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will isn't the bronco raptor running 37's? They would have to upgrade the tire rod they did that with the spare tire holder so in theory couldn't we just steal raptor parts and put them on a bronco?

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heck I'm still waiting for my Bronco so why not wait on this. Yep, I want to see what Ford does with it. See if there is any change to the inner tie rods & what pricing compares to. Will continue to plan on carrying spares either way.
So Ford should fix the steering so that people who put lifts on their Broncos don't have problems? Maybe. Maybe they shouldn't have put a "Lift Me" tag inside the fenders...

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So Ford should fix the steering so that people who put lifts on their Broncos don't have problems? Maybe. Maybe they shouldn't have put a "Lift Me" tag inside the fenders...
I said nothing of the sort. Supporting the rack in the way that BroncBuster is a good idea to minimize deflection that could break the stock retainer that keeps the pinion engaged with the rack.

I'm interested in seeing what all will be upgraded in the Ford performance steering rack when available. Did Ford also support the rack, increase tie rod strength both inner & outer? Improve the motor strength? Just waiting to see what they offer and the cost difference between the 2, not demanding they fix this or that.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncBuster’s inner tie rod splint is not a piece of recovery kit or a get-out-of-jail-free card that you would want to carry for peace of mind in the trunk. The word “splint” is a misnomer here, because it is really just a brace intended to prevent the inner tie rod from bending and then breaking at the known stress concentration point on the threaded shaft. Once the tie rod bends or eventually breaks, you will never get the splint to fit over the shaft, because the machining tolerances are too tight.

Think of it like the knee braces that almost all offensive linemen in American football wear to prevent knee injuries. Once the knee is injured, the brace is practically worthless for playing another down until the injury heals naturally or is repaired surgically and the knee can bear weight and sustain lateral forces again.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncBuster’s inner tie rod splint is not a piece of recovery kit or a get-out-of-jail-free card that you would want to carry for peace of mind in the trunk. The word “splint” is a misnomer here, because it is really just a brace intended to prevent the inner tie rod from bending and then breaking at the known stress concentration point on the threaded shaft. Once the tie rod bends or eventually breaks, you will never get the splint to fit over the shaft, because the machining tolerances are too tight.

Think of it like the knee braces that almost all offensive linemen in American football wear to prevent knee injuries. Once the knee is injured, the brace is practically worthless for playing another down until the injury heals naturally or is repaired surgically and the knee can bear weight and sustain lateral forces again.

Yes I thought more about it after the fact and agree it's meant to run full time. I think from the photos I've seen of the broken tie rods that none have really bent but rather snapped at the weak point on the start of the threaded section. A grinder to clean it off and I bet you could fit those Splints. But I do see he intends you to build them before and run them full time.
Sponsored