Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 4 door Badlands/2.7/Lux/soft top Bronco is nearly out of production and is going to be delivered in a week or two. I'm considering immediately putting it up for sale, ideally for a small profit.

Before I go any further, if you're going to be hating on me for this, I DO NOT want to hear it. Those comments are going to be 100% ignored or possibly receive a harsh response from me at best. I reserved this vehicle the night of the Bronco announcement in 2020. I ordered the vehicle the first day the order banks opened up, canceling a lucrative appointment to drive straight to the dealer to place the order just in case it would improve my odds. I've faithfully tracked all of the delivery issues and changed my order to a 4-door with soft top to avoid the MIC hard top issues. I've purchased a temporary vehicle in the interim just to wait for this damned Bronco, at considerable expense. Long story short, I've paid my dues and I really, really, REALLY don't want to hear any complaining about my thought process here.

Now with that out of the way, let's move on. I have a number of vehicles, too many in fact, and I upgraded my work situation to a better job but the downside is that commuting is required a few times per month. It's a 130 mile commute. While waiting for the Bronco I decided to purchase a Tesla Model 3. (Cool experience so far, by the way.). Also, my wife's Explorer is timing out and she needs a new vehicle. I also have a souped up Jeep Wrangler TJ and a Jaguar F-Type in the garage. The temporary vehicle is for my kids who are now driving. Yep, I have five vehicles now not including the Bronco, and a lot has changed since I placed this Bronco order.

My wife, God bless her, is a complainer. She complains about everything. She is already complaining about the Bronco being too big, even though she's never driven it. It probably is too big for her... frankly. But then again she'll hate whatever she's got no matter what. But if I let her pick her own vehicle at least I can tell her to shut it when she complains about whatever heap she goes with. (Yep, she'd rather drive some econo-Ford half-ass SUV than a brand-new Bronco... go figure.)

So I'm thinking pretty heavily on just putting this thing for sale right now on E-Bay or Auto Trader or whatever, for about a $10k markup. From what I can surmise people are so eager to purchase this vehicle that the markup is about right. I'm not looking to profit from the situation so much as I am just trying to recoup the immense money and energy the process of trying to purchase this Bronco has taken from me. We've put vehicle purchases on hold and had to buy vehicles which were less than ideal while waiting, and it's all taken so long that my life circumstances have simply changed. I think it's a fair play on my part.

So my question(s) is/are:

1) If I place the Bronco for sale before I accept delivery, can the dealership penalize me or possibly (legally) cancel the sale? I have a window sticker available to me at Ford.com and can even provide the prospective buyer with a VIN.
2) What do y'all think, is $10k about right? The Bronco's sticker price is $60,300 or so, so I think $70k is about right. If one was to order today they're looking at a minimjum of 12 months in the best case before their Bronco is delivered.
3) Which avenue would you use to sell the vehicle? Auto Trader? E-Bay?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sad to potentially be leaving the Bronco family before I even joined it, but I figure I can get a Warthog in a couple of years. Still love the idea of owning one of these things.

Thanks.
Sponsored

RiskyB

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I dont care what you decide to do with your Bronco, it's yours. Be careful in what you say to your dealer. There was recent post of someone complaining that the dealership would not sell him his Bronco because they knew he intended sell it. I dont know the outcome of that situation, good luck in what you decide.

Ylekiot

Black Diamond
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LX570, Lexus GX470, Land Rover, 21'Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would have said last week you could pull it off. However IF the MIC tops are being made to a decent output, the window to sell may be small if the dirt mountain Broncos are quickly fixed/shipped. I think with the mic top news this week you may have lots of people holding out for a 22 and the mic for any of those 22 that free up. My .02.

zigtig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Wrangler, 2021 Telluride, 2014 Slim, 2019 Rzr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds reasonable. I was ready to walk away from all of this but my wife insisted I wait!

Sponsored

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are such a ____. Just kidding. Someone else said that the dealer caught wind that he was trying to flip it and accused him of potentially planning to export it (I think) and cancelled it on him (not sure why exporting should matter). However, to me it seems like it should be your right to flip it. I had originally put in 2 reservations and openly talked to my dealer about flipping one of them - he seemed perfectly fine with the idea (I later cancelled reservation 2). But some dealers might be looking for any opportunity they can find to take your bronco order from you so that THEY can flip it for a profit, instead of you. If I were you, I would try to shield your identity from the dealer if you are posting it for sale online before it's yours to sell. I would not post the window sticker or anything that could trace it to you. Personally, I wouldn't put it up for sale until I took possession. There have already been many people burned trying this and then MIC2.0 happened. And, if I was a potential buyer I would be willing to pay more for a bronco that I knew already existed.

As far as price, I don't think a $10K markup is very greedy at all. The market is what the market is. I'd go with an auction if I could.

The haters, IMHO, are just bitter that they didn't have the means, or the business savvy to do the same thing.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You'll want to wait until you actually own it before listing it. Ford can prohibit sales to flippers, and they do actively search for this sort of thing. Also you will need to make sure the buyer is not an illegal exporter. Ford, and other manufacturers have gone after these exporters, as well as the dealerships and flippers that intentionally sell to them.

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. Great advice so far. I’ll wait until I take delivery. Haven’t made up my mind yet if I’ll do this or not. Keep the comments coming!

Sponsored

MJ14

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer/22 Bronco OBX/02 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What are the taxes in your state? I would imagine with a 60k window sticker plus taxes you selling it for $70,000 wouldn’t be outrageous anyways. I also don’t know what taxes run you where you live. In Indiana it’s 7%

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You are such a ____. Just kidding. Someone else said that the dealer caught wind that he was trying to flip it and accused him of potentially planning to export it (I think) and cancelled it on him (not sure why exporting should matter). However, to me it seems like it should be your right to flip it. I had originally put in 2 reservations and openly talked to my dealer about flipping one of them - he seemed perfectly fine with the idea (I later cancelled reservation 2). But some dealers might be looking for any opportunity they can find to take your bronco order from you so that THEY can flip it for a profit, instead of you. If I were you, I would try to shield your identity from the dealer if you are posting it for sale online before it's yours to sell. I would not post the window sticker or anything that could trace it to you. Personally, I wouldn't put it up for sale until I took possession. There have already been many people burned trying this and then MIC2.0 happened. And, if I was a potential buyer I would be willing to pay more for a bronco that I knew already existed.

As far as price, I don't think a $10K markup is very greedy at all. The market is what the market is. I'd go with an auction if I could.

The haters, IMHO, are just bitter that they didn't have the means, or the business savvy to do the same thing.
Yeah, it takes a lot of Business Savvy to flip shit people can't get....

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would wait to have it before I tried to sell it. I would also not speak to much about it (or at least about selling it) to anyone until you have it. DTA man.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.