Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve never met a salesperson who knew more about a car I was buying than me.
I’ve met salespeople who know more about the buttons on the inside than me, but if I’m buying a car, I have usually done my homework on it in advance.
Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have, but only because I was that salesman.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve met salespeople who know more about the buttons on the inside than me, but if I’m buying a car, I have usually done my homework on it in advance.
Exactly. Doing your own research is a must.

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I said what I said because it is frustrating. They don't even try to learn the product. It's really disappointing. I don't get it. Maybe the average consumer isn't a "super hero", so they just get by.

This has been my experience.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dino

Dino

Outer Banks
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry if this stings a little but......

He sounds like he every sales person I have ever delt with. I know what I want when I walk in the door but have to deal with these know nothings. Dealerships disgust me.
It was the worst job I've ever had. And I worked in the county jail and had piss thrown on me. Twice.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Today I was at work with a guy I work with, and I ran my truck through the carwash. Next door is a Ford dealership, and there was a Bronco out front. He told me, "Let's stop by and take a look at that Bronco". Sure, let's go. I'll always stop and take a look. He's been hearing about mine (that's on order) for a while, and hasn't seen a Big Bronco up close (and there's no telling when mine will get here, but that's a different story).

We get out, it's an AMB BB Sas 4D. It has a soft top and aftermarket wheels. There's no stickers on it, but there's a label machine label that says "Service loaner" on the back license plate.

We're looking at it, walking around it, and he asks, "What are these?" and points at the gun sights. I told him it's purposes, securing stuff that's on the roof and lining up the tire when off road. He asks about the wheels, and I tell him those are after market, they aren't the stock Sas wheels. We talk about a few more features, and then a sales guy comes out. He asks if we've been helped and I said, "We're good, just looking, I don't want to take up any of your time". He says "No problem, it's slow."

I don't want to waste his time, I know he has other people he can be calling or following up with or what not.

So my buddy, (we're in sales) says "Hey what are these things" and points at the gun sights. The sales guy says "You use them to secure stuff to the roof, some people have been putting light bars on there, (motioning his hands from one side to the other across the hood), hooking them between them. And it connects to the winch if you get one mounted to the bumper". I said "Hooks to the winch how?" He said "It's to help take out the slack".

Before I can dig into this further, because I'm dying to know how this works, my buddy says "These wheels are pretty nice" He said "Yeah we added those to make it look a little meaner' (they did look pretty good). He said "There's no step bar or rails on this?" the sales guy says "No, not on this model. Those are pretty much for decoration anyway, these are really just mall crawlers" and he chuckled.

I'm just in total disbelief at this point. Slack from the winch, through the gun sights? Mounting a light bar across the hood to them? MALL CRAWLER!!??

He asks my buddy if he's interested in getting one. He says, "No he ordered one but it's taking forever for him to get it". He says "Oh yeah? Sorry to hear that. We have one here that the deal fell through on, if you might be interested in picking it up" I said, "I have a res at another dealership, and I don't think yours would match what I'm after, mine's pretty specific to what I want." He said, "It's a Big Bend" I told him, "Yeah, I ordered a OBX Sas". He goes, "Have you thought about transferring your reservation here? We're a big dealership so we are getting lots of them in" I asked him, (fully knowing I'm not going to transfer my res, I have locked in pricing and everyone on the forum who's bought there has left glowing feedback, and also being 99% sure of the answer before I asked) I asked him "Are you guys adding ADMs on your Broncos?"

He looks at me, looks sort of puzzled, looks down at the tire, kind of waves his hand towards it, and says:

"We can put whatever brand of wheels you want on it".

I told him, "Thanks for you time, but I'm gonna stick with my dealer. We're gonna head out, got an appointment to get to...good luck today!"

This dude doesn't know shit about his product, and doesn't even know what an ADM is. He thought it was a brand of wheels.

It was really pretty sad, as a sales guy, and a former car sales guy, to see someone with that tremendous lack of knowledge and just...wow. I was just at a loss. My partner said, "How is that guy going to sell one of those, he doesn't even know shit about them?"

Good question.
Sad to say it’s not just him, I’ve been thinking that for years. Really every time I’ve been in a dealership. I can’t understand why they don’t know their product. My wife just bought a x7 and the guy did next to nothing basically just sat and picked the options on the computer, just like I would do at home. Says a lot about the company’s that sell new cars on-line without agents. I think that will become more and more popular.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don’t educate yourself on expensive items you buy/sell? You must be one of these salesmen…
Naturally, I do; I just don't go around claiming I'm so much smarter than everyone, when I could always learn more. That would be in poor taste.

All in good fun, though. You can't take these forums too seriously. Most of us are excited to be off the forum and in a new Bronco. Clapbacks welcome, if it'll be entertaining!

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm the same way. When I go to buy a new vehicle I know the details of what I'm buying down to the torque value of the engine's main bearing caps.

Regarding sales reps, I do try to remeber that when I'm shopping I know everything about the specific model I am looking to buy. Meanwhile, a sales rep has to know as much as possible about many differnt models on the lot. It would be unrealistic for me to expect them to have deep expertise on everything they sell.

kput

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Bronco 4door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe it was his first day?
^^^ this.
Maybe next time ask how long he's been there instead of assuming he sucks 🤷

I've been in Ford sales for nearly a decade, and am probably the most knowledgeable in the store on nearly all Ford models. However on something like the Bronco, where I'll sell literally 5 of them in a year, I don't spend a ton of time brushing up on all the ins and outs, compared to an F-150 where I can list off what came in certain packages in 2016.

Hell, I'm getting a Bronco and still hardly know shit about them 😅
We learn what we sell volume of. 90% of the time when some Bronco nerd walks in the door, he already knows the answers anyways. (I can call you guys' that because I'm one too)

Sponsored

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol yeah even with my dealership I am with, they are good, but the accessories is where I have been telling them how easy it would be to sell this and that. and the reasons why.

$900 gatorback mudflaps is an easy panic sale and all you have to do is show the vids and pictures from this forum of people getting rock chips in their paint. IMO any dealer selling SAS packages can make a pretty penny on this until a cheaper aftermarket one is available.

Also that Aeroskin deflector is another easy on sell $89 + tax and it can save a windshield or 2. before one finally chips/cracks your windshield. $1,000 per windshield replacement is what I saw on this forum.

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been in Ford sales for nearly a decade, and am probably the most knowledgeable in the store on nearly all Ford models. However on something like the Bronco, where I'll sell literally 5 of them in a year, I don't spend a ton of time brushing up on all the ins and outs, compared to an F-150 where I can list off what came in certain packages in 2016.
I understand this completely. But how do keep getting the sales person who knows nothing about any vehicle I pick. I feel like salespersons who are knowledgeable must be a tiny minority. And I never get to meet them.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also, the majority of buyers walk onto a lot with no idea what they want. They’ll visit half a dozen dealers and look at a dozen different models.

They don’t obsess over a vehicle and every option and trim for months like a lot of us have been doing.

Typical salespersons job is to get them behind the wheel and get them emotionally invested into the idea of a new car. The majority of buyers are buying something they need, not something they want.

Not trying to defend shitty salespeople, but they generally don’t need to be product experts to make sales.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was the worst job I've ever had. And I worked in the county jail and had piss thrown on me. Twice.
thats what happens when you charge ADM
Sponsored