First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I PUT MY FPP ON COUPLE WEEKS AGO AT THE LOCAL FORD DEALER.. THEY ARE READILY AVAILABLE FOR THE 2.7 L THRU FORD PERFORMANCE AT YOUR FORD PARTS DEPT..
THE INSTRUCTIONS STATE PRETTY CLEARLY THAT IT TAKES SEVERAL MILES (@ 20-100) FOR THE TUNE TO READ ALL THE IMPUTS FROM FUEL GRADE/. ATMOSPHERE/ DRIVING HABITS, FUEL AIR MIXTURE RECALIBRATE, ETC..BEFORE IT GIVES THE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.. I'VE ONLY PUT A FEW MILES ON IT, SO WHEN I'VE DRIVIN IT MORE MILES, WILL UPDATE.. I
HAVE A 2 DR . OUTERBANKS WITH 285'S . SO NO TIRE RECALIBRATION NEEDED.. THE TECH MENTIONED IT WOULD RUN RICHER FUEL MIXTURE AND WILL SMELL IT UNTIL COMPUTER DIALS ALL INFO. IN TO SYSTEM.
PS. RUNNING 93 OCTANE.
THE INITIAL PERFORMANCE SEEMS MORE RESPONSIVE AND MORE TORQUE ... HAVE'NT PUSHED THE RPMS YET..:)
Sponsored

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Post your 2.7L Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune review 5EC38BF3-5099-40FF-9A13-BADC7889F0B4

I went by the only dealership near me that will install it and their parts department acted like you couldn’t get them. She said she would call me and never did. I just ordered with Lethal Performance.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Too bad, getting that power plant up to at least 450 sounds like the way to go.

JosefFrantisek

Badlands
First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2019 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been running the tune on my 2.7 for a couple of weeks now since letting the dealer install it for me in order to retain the warranty. Not a huge power gain (as we all know) but a bit more power is noticed in my seat dyno. Other than retaining warranty and the minimal power gains, the best features are:
  • Keeping the auto-start/stop button deactivated
  • More linear throttle response with smoother shifts
  • Downshifts, when coming to a stop, are better managed...not as jerky
  • Sport mode, compared to non-tune, seems dialed up to 120% for ultimate responsiveness...brake boost launches will break traction in all 4 (2 door 285/70)
  • Adjusted tire size to re-calibrate speedo.

A few wishful improvements:
  • Wish it had Bluetooth communication with the vehicle to use as a separate display for vehicle info.
    • The current info. screen is very basic and the device must be plugged into OBD port, which has power even when vehicle is off, so not a permanent mounting solution that wouldn't involve unplugging/replugging into the ODB port every time you left/entered the vehicle.
  • The device has moments of going non-responsive and has to wait several seconds for it to respond or unplug/replug from ODB if it fully locks.
  • The touch screen can be difficult to navigate with larger fingers.
Why would you want the device plugged in all the time? The calibration resides in the ECM. After I loaded the FPP calibration, I removed the box.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why would you want the device plugged in all the time? The calibration resides in the ECM. After I loaded the FPP calibration, I removed the box.
Just more of an extra screen to see more specific details of the vehicle health parameters in one quick view. If you google other tuners, like COBB or BullyDog, you can see that they offer this option and lots of diesel tuners have their control screens mounted next to the A pilar for this purpose. The Ford tuner does have a suction cup mounting bracket, which I'm assuming was meant for this purpose.

calelvis

Outer Banks
First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Any changes in MPG?
I haven't checked the milage yet to see if any changes... have put about 30 more miles on it and seems to be smoothing out tranny shifts and power band..:) not a huge difference but some and WARRANTIED BY FORD.. so ok with value/performance upgrade for now..

Edsasso

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got mine the other day from lethal performance. I installed it (you need a pc). Install is elementary. I only have a few trips on the tune. My badlands has sport mode, k&n cai, borla, jb4, pedal commander, colder plugs and I run 91. Waiting on downpipes, charge pipes and an inter cooler. Frankly I don’t see or feel much of a gain. When I have a few more miles on it I may change my mind but for me, it was not very exciting and nothing compared to the jb4. If I had to pick one or the other, all day long I would get the jb4. In my opinion, some of the items the procal addresses were already addressed with a pedal commander and forescan mods (auto start and sport mode).

Sponsored
OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Too bad, getting that power plant up to at least 450 sounds like the way to go.
The JB4 tuning device is available for the Braptor now and Whipple will be releasing a 50 state legal cal at some point. If there's anything we can help you with in the meantime feel free to give us a shout.

Thanks!

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The JB4 tuning device is available for the Braptor now and Whipple will be releasing a 50 state legal cal at some point. If there's anything we can help you with in the meantime feel free to give us a shout.

Thanks!
Thank you for the suggestion but I would not run a JB4 on anything I cared about. It's a glorified boost cut controller with a voltage modifier. Dangerous and mediocre tech at best.

The beauty of the Ford platform (besides factory warranty) is that it is remapping the ECU and keeping everything online and all safety measures in place, not clamping the data to conceal it from the ECU like a jb4.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The beauty of the Ford platform (besides factory warranty) is that it is remapping the ECU and keeping everything online and all safety measures in place, not clamping the data to conceal it from the ECU like a jb4.
The JB4 keeps all factory safety measures in place also, even adds a few of its own fail safe measures 🤷‍♂️ Plenty of people using it and not a single report of a bronco having issues while running it to my knowledge. But to each their own I guess.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The JB4 keeps all factory safety measures in place also, even adds a few of its own fail safe measures 🤷‍♂️ Plenty of people using it and not a single report of a bronco having issues while running it to my knowledge. But to each their own I guess.
Yeah I was going to reply as well that we've personally used these and have sold tons of them with zero issues so far. I think their app is great too.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As a professional automobile tuner with over 3 decades of experience my standards and expectations are high. The JB4 is a fairly basic piggy back. Think old school Greddy BCC mixed with a boost controller and some basic software suite.

For a brief understanding I'll write a quick blip but I am at work and don't have time for a full on breakdown.

To understand how devices like this raise boost is to understand that a pressure sensor typically reads 0-5V usually in millivolts. Let's say that 12 psi is equal to 3300mv and the vehicles peak boost threshold (presuming spikes based on load, temperature/air density variations, etc) is 15psi or say 3600mv. The voltage clamp grabs the signal and tells the ecu that the boost is always below the max target threshold by sending a fixed voltage on the high end that never goes above that value, say 3500mv, hence the clamp. Then a device like this either uses a mechanical way to raise boost like a boost jet inline in a vacuum source to wastegate or by grabbing the signal to an electronic wastegate controller and ramping boost up say 3-4 psi. If typical boost increase provides 15horse per psi then 3psi will net you a 45hp gain, etc.

So ramp boost, clamp voltage, fool ecu, create power, you get the jist. Downside, ecu can't adjust timing to match actual boost. JB4 may offer an additional cps module like the BMW items they sell but I don't use them to know the in's and out's of their Bronco/Ford offerings.

So yes in theory the factory knock sensors and so forth are still working to provide safety to the extent that they can but you are "fooling" the data to the ecu without controlling timing etc. Now any application can show you all sorts of fancy data that it is simply reading from the ecu OBD stream but that doesn't mean it's doing much beyond that aside from manipulating boost, hoping the factory knock sensors and so forth can pull timing fast enough should octane or boost spikes create an issue and so on. Now I'm not saying that is all the JB4 can do, as they have been working on expanding their abilities, but it is not for me.

So in short, piggy backs can gain some power and with additional add on's can control various architecture of the engines management before it hits the ECM but is limited in it's ability and its safety features. Why as a tuner I think the Ford flash is actually a cool thing for a factory power adder and no issues taking in for service etc.
Sponsored