Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Survived the blizzard of 78. 42 plus inches of snow sustained winds of 60mph gust to 90 mph + and the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded look it up. Other than some cold this ain't nothing.
Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

-40 windchill. 30-40 mph winds. Close to 4 feet of snow on the ground (this and previous storm a few days ago.). Closer to the big lake (Superior) it’s worse. 64 mph gust about an hour ago. Not great but it is winter. Good for the moose, bad for the deer. Stay warm

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to nerd out for a bit so feel free to ignore me... and @mtclimb3r can correct me if any of this is wrong. (I studied meteorology in college but got bored and switched to engineering.)

I don't know who came up with the name "bomb cyclone," but the actual technical term for these sorts of weather events are bombogensis... which is really just a really bad cyclogenesis. Cyclogenesis is a system that results in a dramatic drops of barometric pressure.

These types of storms have always happened, but what is strange about them now is how far south they are occurring. Traditionally the jet stream would keep these types of storms above the 35-38° latitude line... roughly the Arkansas/Missouri state line, middle of Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. If you were south of that line, these super cold bombogensis systems were relatively rare (once every few decades or so) because the jet stream would effectively form a barrier and keep the system up north.

For the past decade or so, we've seen the jet stream effectively collapse, and areas of the country (Texas, MIssissippi, Florida, Louisiana, etc.) that only saw this type of weather once every few decades are now seeing it almost every year. Which people online love to talk about, and I suspect people down south hate. This type of weather in Chicago is common and boring. But Tallahasse, Florida having a HIGH of 32° tomorrow when their average LOW is 44° is the type of stuff the internet and news media loves to eat up.
Welcome to the nerd zone! You are correct! In my textbooks is was called explosive cyclogenesis. This is the type of storm that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The less complicated explanation is that the polar jet has been weakening as a result of arctic warming. Poles are warming faster than the equator and the equator-to-pole temperature gradient is what creates the polar and subtropical jets.

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

RangerR

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak and Road Glide
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

-25 with the wind this morning. I am told the extreme shifts in temps here in KY is one component to making great bourbon. I guess it’s time to have a glass and see. Stay safe!!!
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anytime winter weather hits the midwest and east coast, everyone looses their mind. That same storm system flows through the Mountain time zone, crickets lol.
No body but those that live in the mountain time zone has even heard of it.

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
-9 here in Central Illinois this morning. Not much snow, but wind has been insane.
Not much snow in Sangamon County but boy is it cold.

Sponsored

Crazy Bronc

Everglades
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 SD Lariat, 2017 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

*Post now includes a video - even captured the American flag at the beginning.

Here’s a couple pictures from an hour ago just outside of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Ripping through a few drifts. Special thanks to my wife for standing out in the strong wind and cold.
Ford Bronco Post your Bomb Cyclone mega snow storm Bronco pics 🌨️ 🌬️ 5CDA5515-E533-4BAF-A3E6-28F38E1D52D3
Ford Bronco Post your Bomb Cyclone mega snow storm Bronco pics 🌨️ 🌬️ A9C6F809-688C-414E-8AF0-6DC0819187DF
Ford Bronco Post your Bomb Cyclone mega snow storm Bronco pics 🌨️ 🌬️ C4082F3E-96CB-47B2-AD8A-ABCF8C006CBA

Last edited:

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty much average here. Gonna wire up my trailer harness in a few. Stay warm, everyone!

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Survived the blizzard of 78. 42 plus inches of snow sustained winds of 60mph gust to 90 mph + and the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded look it up. Other than some cold this ain't nothing.
March of '78. My mother had to drive in it to the hospital to give birth to my brother. The Ice is what she remembers the most. Trees snapping over left and right from the weight. No power for days. Central Illinois.
Sponsored