Sponsored

Potential for aftermarket Sway Bar / StaBar Disconnect?

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was at the Moab Off Roadeo and managed to crawl underneath a Badlands and snag a pic of the sway bar disconnect:
Ford Bronco Potential for aftermarket Sway Bar / StaBar Disconnect? 1633529905939

What you are looking at: The sway bar instead of being a usual one curvy }-shaped piece is multiple pieces bolted together. Hard to get in the picture but there is an additional skid plate covering a hydraulic box in the middle where the sway bar disconnect actually takes place.

For reference here is my regular always-on sway bar in my Black Diamond:
Ford Bronco Potential for aftermarket Sway Bar / StaBar Disconnect? 1633550016041

Straight across, is one piece and does not have an additional skid plate protecting it.

The instructors at the Moab seemed optimistic that some company might be able to come up with an aftermarket hydraulic disconnect. I'm hopeful. There is definitely the space for it under there. Do any other armchair modders have any thoughts on why an aftermarket sway bar disconnect will be possible /impossible?
Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

4WP's makes one for the Wrangler. Talking to Ryan they don't have plans yet to make it for the Bronco, but it will be considered. There is quite a bit of design work that would go into designing one that auto disconnects. 4WP's already has done the design. One of the potential problems is how low the sway bar sits on the Bronco. Since it's behind the axle it sits pretty low, and any electrical stuff in it could be subject to corrosion from going through water. On a Wrangler the sway bar is in front and much higher.

We're going to need a good manual quick sway bar disconnect from somebody.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4WP's makes one for the Wrangler. Talking to Ryan they don't have plans yet to make it for the Bronco, but it will be considered. There is quite a bit of design work that would go into designing one that auto disconnects. 4WP's already has done the design. One of the potential problems is how low the sway bar sits on the Bronco. Since it's behind the axle it sits pretty low, and any electrical stuff in it could be subject to corrosion from going through water. On a Wrangler the sway bar is in front and much higher.

We're going to need a good manual quick sway bar disconnect from somebody.
no so sure how much water is going to affect the disconnect, no more than a starter would be affected or Jeep’s plug in electric option or Fords lighting pickup. In fact The Bronco has a “hydraulic” Disconnect vs the Jeep “electronic” disconnect. I would much rather have a hydraulic disconnect that doesn‘t block under load ..saying that I don’t think Jeep’s electronic disconnect will fare any worse in water.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-disconnect-sway-bar-jl-gladiator-jt-68251037AC

Ford Bronco Potential for aftermarket Sway Bar / StaBar Disconnect? 7B279B0D-E7C2-48B5-A273-C63A5A5EE866

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

no so sure how much water is going to affect the disconnect, no more than a starter would be affected or Jeep’s plug in electric option or Fords lighting pickup. In fact The Bronco has a “hydraulic” Disconnect vs the Jeep “electronic” disconnect. I would much rather have a hydraulic disconnect that doesn‘t block under load ..saying that I don’t think Jeep’s electronic disconnect will fare any worse in water.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-disconnect-sway-bar-jl-gladiator-jt-68251037AC

Ford Bronco Potential for aftermarket Sway Bar / StaBar Disconnect? 7B279B0D-E7C2-48B5-A273-C63A5A5EE866

I understand that there have been some issues with the 4WP disconnect in the east where it is much wetter. I would assume they are working on making that better. It is pretty slick that the Bronco unit it hydraulic. Yet to be seen is if we can buy the complete Bronco unit from the dealer and install it ourselves, which would be awesome.

pferrel

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a Wildtrak. Has anyone tried installing the Ford part--the one that is standard in the Badlands. If so please please please be a YouTuber ;-)

The 2023, which I have, seems to have swaybars on front and rear. How does that work in the Badlands? Disconnect only for the front?
Sponsored