Sponsored

Power for a dashcam in a Bronco without electric rear view mirror?

Esmeral

Black Diamond
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello fellows!
I would like to install a dashcam in my Black Diamond without having to wire all the way down to get power. I saw the solution offered by Dongar (getting the power from the rear view mirror connector), but my rear view mirror is not electric, so the solution of Dongar doesn’t work for me.
Does anyone know if, despite not having an electric rearview mirror, there is still a connector for it in the harness of the overhead console?
If it exists, my idea is to get this converter from Amazon and hide it inside the console.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0918CR35N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_ZD30M601V195YEWNNTNW
Ford Bronco Power for a dashcam in a Bronco without electric rear view mirror? 64158BAE-2045-49FD-8C83-6F8A16564133
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've installed a 3 camera system (forward, interior and rear), 2 sets of pod lights, a complicated GPS enabled lightbar with a controller, interior lighting, 12 rock lights and a bunch of other interior mods. I've also stripped the interior down to the tub for other reasons. With that said, I'm no Bronco expert and some of the actual experts may pop in with better advice.

If there is still a harness there (most likely there is), that area is a pain to work on. The trim comes apart in a very particular order and it often involves removing either the driver or passenger side curtain airbag as there are some tricky to reach bolts behind either side in order to get the trim off. The upfitter area is by far my least favorite area of the Bronco interior to work on. From memory, that harness runs up into the upfitter area and disappears into a larger harness.

Dash Cams almost always run on 12v, so not sure why you would use the converter. You just need to splice (correctly) into a 12v wire and find a ground point.

I would just run the wire using a trim tool and push it up under the window trim without having to remove anything. You can bring it down by the driver door near the grab handle without any trim removal - from there, you do remove the grab handle (2 bolts) and the driver side lower door trim and just route it down to the fuse box below the steering wheel. From there, you're a few fuse taps away from a completed install. Doing it this way also gives you access to both 12v constant and 12v accessory, so you can run a camera with a true parking mode to get piece of mind while you're not there. Maybe ~20 minute install time for a single camera.

I can give you advice and which fuses to use if you go that route. Best of luck. Well worth installing a dash cam no matter which way you choose.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Garmin Constant Power Cable, Compatible with Garmin Dash Cam, Fits Vehicle's OBD-II Port for Power Even When Parked and Turned Off https://a.co/d/7b8X7aP

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello fellows!
I would like to install a dashcam in my Black Diamond without having to wire all the way down to get power. I saw the solution offered by Dongar (getting the power from the rear view mirror connector), but my rear view mirror is not electric, so the solution of Dongar doesn’t work for me.
Does anyone know if, despite not having an electric rearview mirror, there is still a connector for it in the harness of the overhead console?
If it exists, my idea is to get this converter from Amazon and hide it inside the console.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0918CR35N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_ZD30M601V195YEWNNTNW
Ford Bronco Power for a dashcam in a Bronco without electric rear view mirror? 64158BAE-2045-49FD-8C83-6F8A16564133
Can't say if I know there's a harness there or not. I have a powered one, but I didn't tap in there. I just ran an adapter similar to what you've linked down to the fuses on the left side behind the knee bolster. Mine uses 12v constant and switched for parking mode, so I used fuses 29 and 35. If I remember right 29 is constant and 35 is switched...

OP
OP
Esmeral

Esmeral

Black Diamond
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It seems that it is easier to wire down than up.
I am considering the alternatives you guys suggested me. OBD 2 port seems the quickest To do.
Thank you for the tips.
Sponsored