First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you’re going automatic and plan to tune the 2.3L, what is holding you back from the 2.7L? The fact that you might have to wait longer for it? I think it’s worth it to get more power and have it wrapped into your loan. And then if you still want more power later you can tune that.

(Don’t mind me. Just trying to justify my 2.7L order. Lol)
I 100% agree with your logic, I just plan on getting the manual. I've driven the 2.7 in stock form in an F-150 and it seems to have plenty of power. Just a tune to that and 392 Wrangler owners will be pissed when they bought a gas guzzling V8 that is getting smoked in every aspect by a V6.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check this out: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631165

It's cheaper than the ford performance tuner and comes with different maps for 87 - 93 octane. Sounds like you can get some pretty impressive gains when compared to the ford performance tune!
I've been running this in my Ranger since last August. You get all of their tunes to try out, there's 5 currently for the Ranger and I'm sure the Bronco will be the same.

87-89 soft shift tune
87-89 performance tune
91-93 soft shift tune
91-93 performance tune
tow tune

Running the 91-93 performance tune gives you 80 hp/100 tq and trust me this really wakes up the 2.3! With the Ford tune you're stuck using premium but this one you can use 87-89 which is nice when gas prices spike like they are now.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After years of headaches from modifying cars, I’m not adding any power to this engine until cooling is addressed. IIRC, the stock intercooler has plastic end tanks. That’s a big no-no. Hopefully the radiator is up to par.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you’re going automatic and plan to tune the 2.3L, what is holding you back from the 2.7L? The fact that you might have to wait longer for it? I think it’s worth it to get more power and have it wrapped into your loan. And then if you still want more power later you can tune that.

(Don’t mind me. Just trying to justify my 2.7L order. Lol)
For me it's:
Delay for 2.7 - it is a dealer confirmed/sin.
Tow limit is 3500 regardless.
Impressive in it's own right, the Ranger has more than enough and similar platform.
Don't need the power of a 2.7. It's a DD and will be fine.
Can add a Ford tune if I want long term.
Save 1800, that's nice. I'll throw that in the pocket or at accessories...

Only cons are really the 2.7 will be a rocket (rode in an F150) but I don't need that. 2.7 TT is better PI/DI but the 2.3 DI has a great history so not worried about longevity.

TL;DR: Good for my application, cheaper, gets the job done, get it earlier.

Sponsored

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why pay $1895 for v6 when you could tune your 2.3 to more HP for $599.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.3 Ecoboost is an extremely impressive engine. Too many people get caught up in the number of cylinder an engine has. For me I'm more impressed with 4 cylinders generating 300+ hp then 8 cylinders.

Most of my life I owned big clunky V8s and then I was so impressed with the technological advances the Auto industry made with 4 cylinder turbos. I ended up owning a few. My first was a Subaru WRX then I got a Focus ST and a Mustang Ecoboost. I absolutely loved the 2.3. With just a tune even you can get great performance.

There's just something cool about a small engine making big power. As this video shows there's so many possibilities for the 2.3 Ecoboost. It's definitely a high performance engine worth owning. I think its a perfect fit for the Bronco.
Back in 2002, I tuned a 2.0 liter motor for 620 HP at the wheel, but I wouldn't have called it "streetable". On the other hand, it did win at the NOPI nationals.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yah, I definitely see the 2.3 as the red headed stepchild. It's only relevant to me because Ford locked the 7MT with it.... Otherwise it's 2.7tt all the way (for me.)

I am sure the 2.3 is a great motor in its own right, and will be plenty for the Bronco. However, there are advantages of the 2.7tt that just set it apart. Power potential aside, the 2.7 is a CGI block that's incredibly tough, and has dual injection to keep it running clean. It has the provisions to be a low maintenance bulletproof engine...

Peter
Some strong assumptions based on two talking points that the 2.7 will be bullet proof. The argument for CGI block is very valid. Dual injection keeping it clean is not all that accurate. DI has a very well understood and well documented cleaning cycle which is not prohibitively expensive, plus it's not difficult at all to reduce buildup drastically with a simple catch can pushing that cleaning out well past 100K

• The twin turbo setup has shown to be a potentially very expensive new pair of turbos before 100K miles.
  • Amazingly, a plastic oil pan has proven to be suspect in real-world applications. Imagine that!
  • Has been giving some owners fits with eating through transmissions. With great power comes great responsibility.

Anyway, on topic: the truck-use 2.3 has been doing incredibly well in Ranger. The only thing holding it back is the horrible auto trans they paired it with. I can imagine quite a few people losing interest in Bronco after a few years of ownership due to it's lackluster auto (regardless of engine). Pairing the 2.3 with 6MT was absolutely what sold me on the vehicle.

The real world power difference while doing any sort of technical trail between 2.3/MT and the 2.7/AT is that the 2.3 will be putting down about an extra 1,000 torque in crawl gear. There's no viable reason that the 2.7 needs access to the MT, it's going to exactly the same thing as 2.3: Reach traction-limited torque and not a single inch-pound more.

The bonus 40 cubic inches and pleasure of replacing two turbos at a time aren't enough to take my money to the bicycle club (anything with 2 pedals).

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.3 Ecoboost is an extremely impressive engine. Too many people get caught up in the number of cylinder an engine has. For me I'm more impressed with 4 cylinders generating 300+ hp then 8 cylinders.

Most of my life I owned big clunky V8s and then I was so impressed with the technological advances the Auto industry made with 4 cylinder turbos. I ended up owning a few. My first was a Subaru WRX then I got a Focus ST and a Mustang Ecoboost. I absolutely loved the 2.3. With just a tune even you can get great performance.

There's just something cool about a small engine making big power. As this video shows there's so many possibilities for the 2.3 Ecoboost. It's definitely a high performance engine worth owning. I think its a perfect fit for the Bronco.
Yup always been a v8 guy more is better,i bought a 2018 focus st and continue to be impressed i will be happy with the 2.3 and a 7 speed stick
Sponsored