Sponsored

Powertrain "Growl" During Break-In Period?

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Velocity Blue BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone else experienced a slight growl / NVH coming from the drivetrain during the break-in period while driving in 2H? I have the MT, and mainly noticed it at the top of 1st gear and into 2nd gear, a bit louder maybe when cornering at low speeds.

Note that this is my first 4x4 and RWD vehicle, and I've noticed that the noise drastically reduced after I hit about 750 miles on the odometer. Maybe just the rear differential wearing in? Normal for this type of vehicle? 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure if same, but I had a growl on a new mustang that was most prominent on cold start up and sharp turns. Drained and replaced diff fluid and made SURE good friction modifier went in. Within 2 weeks was 90% gone.

I’d guess you could have front or rear diff issue. I’d get it logged in fords system in case of future issue.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone else experienced a slight growl / NVH coming from the drivetrain during the break-in period while driving in 2H? I have the MT, and mainly noticed it at the top of 1st gear and into 2nd gear, a bit louder maybe when cornering at low speeds.

Note that this is my first 4x4 and RWD vehicle, and I've noticed that the noise drastically reduced after I hit about 750 miles on the odometer. Maybe just the rear differential wearing in? Normal for this type of vehicle? 🤷‍♂️
Maybe it’s the cat that was eating all of the field mice at Dirt Mountain. Got trapped during shipment and is now very pissed. But for reals I have no idea. I have the 7MT as well and just finished the break in. Never noticed that sound.

OP
OP
BDSteelies

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe it’s the cat that was eating all of the field mice at Dirt Mountain. Got trapped during shipment and is now very pissed. But for reals I have no idea. I have the 7MT as well and just finished the break in. Never noticed that sound.
😂 Quite possible, have been wondering myself if I truly am the first owner or if some critters already laid claim.

Thanks for the input friends, I’ll bring it up with the dealer ASAP

LatinoComedian

Badlands
First Name
Adolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge, 2021 Mustang Mach-e First Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I had the same thing. My engine was really rough coming out of 1st or even idling during my break in period. It seemed to get better (or maybe I just got used to it) the more miles I put on. At 1000 I took it in to get the oil changed and I asked service to look at it. Apparently they "reset the computer" and it is much smoother now. They said that it's something that happens on some new 2.7 V6 in the F-150 and this is the simple fix. I googled it and there are as bunch of drivers that said that after the reset, the issue never came back again. I guess it's the same with the Bronco.

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I had the same thing. My engine was really rough coming out of 1st or even idling during my break in period. It seemed to get better (or maybe I just got used to it) the more miles I put on. At 1000 I took it in to get the oil changed and I asked service to look at it. Apparently they "reset the computer" and it is much smoother now. They said that it's something that happens on some new 2.7 V6 in the F-150 and this is the simple fix. I googled it and there are as bunch of drivers that said that after the reset, the issue never came back again. I guess it's the same with the Bronco.
This 👆

An update or reset for that module should be enough.

I had something similar with my wife 2020 Ford Escape (rough changes on lower gears and 5th gear slipped). I really thought they need to replace the transmission but they just update the software and that's it. Problem solved and another happy customer!

OP
OP
BDSteelies

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This 👆

An update or reset for that module should be enough.

I had something similar with my wife 2020 Ford Escape (rough changes on lower gears and 5th gear slipped). I really thought they need to replace the transmission but they just update the software and that's it. Problem solved and another happy customer!
Appreciate the info! I don’t this is the same issue though unfortunately. I have the 2.3, plus I only hear it while the vehicle is in motion. Seems to be coming more from the drivetrain than the engine.

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Appreciate the info! I don’t this is the same issue though unfortunately. I have the 2.3, plus I only hear it while the vehicle is in motion. Seems to be coming more from the drivetrain than the engine.
It sounds to me like you are lugging the engine

OP
OP
BDSteelies

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It sounds to me like you are lugging the engine
Nah, again it sounds more like it's coming from the drivetrain than the engine. If anything it's more pronounced at higher RPMs in 1st or 2nd. Thanks though
Sponsored