Yurrty

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got my Bronco delivered two weeks ago. 2.3L OBX non-sas. Drove it 150 miles over three days, best three days of my life.

On the fourth day, I was driving on the highway when a check engine light came on. FordPass app informed me of a powertrain malfunction, followed up a day later with a wastegate malfunction. I took it into the dealer for repairs. First, they isolated the issue to the turbo wastegate. They ordered a new one, installed, didn't fix it.

Now, the issue is apparently with the turbo itself and they are ordering a whole new turbo assembly. Parts are back ordered for two weeks. They talked with Ford and apparently this is considered a "part design issue." Pretty frustrated, and this is all before I put any mods on the vehicle... pretty upset
Sponsored

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mine also is in the shop and they are replacing the waste gate tomorrow.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Search around - a handful of us already talking about it here (and on Ranger 5G forum).
Mine first hit at 65 miles, so consider yourself lucky. It's since been off-and-on.

Mind if I ask what sort of driving you were doing when it threw the code? Both times I had the CEL triggered, it was while merging from one freeway to another.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mine also is in the shop and they are replacing the waste gate tomorrow.

How long did it take them to diagnose and source parts?
Did your code ever clear/ improve before taking it in?

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How long did it take them to diagnose and source parts?
Did your code ever clear/ improve before taking it in?
I took it in yesterday and at about 3:30 today they told me they ordered waste gate and will be installed tomorrow. yesterday when driving it to dealership the check engine light turned off and drove just like normal.

Sponsored

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Search around - a handful of us already talking about it here (and on Ranger 5G forum).
Mine first hit at 65 miles, so consider yourself lucky. It's since been off-and-on.

Mind if I ask what sort of driving you were doing when it threw the code? Both times I had the CEL triggered, it was while merging from one freeway to another.
Mine popped the code while driving at around 75 MPH just driving down I-4

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I took it in yesterday and at about 3:30 today they told me they ordered waste gate and will be installed tomorrow. yesterday when driving it to dealership the check engine light turned off and drove just like normal.
Did they verify there was no other damage? Folks on the Ranger forum (and possibly here) have said dealers first attempt to replace the wastegate, then find the wastegate arm is bent, and then have to replace the whole turbo.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Got my Bronco delivered two weeks ago. 2.3L OBX non-sas. Drove it 150 miles over three days, best three days of my life.

On the fourth day, I was driving on the highway when a check engine light came on. FordPass app informed me of a powertrain malfunction, followed up a day later with a wastegate malfunction. I took it into the dealer for repairs. First, they isolated the issue to the turbo wastegate. They ordered a new one, installed, didn't fix it.

Now, the issue is apparently with the turbo itself and they are ordering a whole new turbo assembly. Parts are back ordered for two weeks. They talked with Ford and apparently this is considered a "part design issue." Pretty frustrated, and this is all before I put any mods on the vehicle... pretty upset
Good Evening! I would be happy to look into your Bronco's powertrain issues on my end. To get started, could you please send over the name/location of your purchasing Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN.

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did they verify there was no other damage? Folks on the Ranger forum (and possibly here) have said dealers first attempt to replace the wastegate, then find the wastegate arm is bent, and then have to replace the whole turbo.
I visually inspected the waste gate arm and it is not bent and it also moved back and forth like it is supposed to. I believe on my bronco that the waste gate sensor is no talking to the EPU.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I visually inspected the waste gate arm and it is not bent and it also moved back and forth like it is supposed to. I believe on my bronco that the waste gate sensor is no talking to the EPU.
I'm hoping that's the case on mine, too - the fact that I can wait 2/3 ignition cycles and then go a week generating full boost without any problem almost sounds like flaky electrical - but then again, I only play a tech/ engineer on TV, so... 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Part did not show up today :mad::mad::mad:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP .. lucky for you did not put any mods on it.

TheCaseyD

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any updates @Yurrty ?

I'm in the same boat. Ford has had my Bronco for a week now and still don't even have an ETA for when the part will be available.

Mr.FantastiK

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bought my OBX last Tuesday and started having 2 or 3 codes start to pop up sporadically 2 days after driving it off the lot. One of them is the PowerTrain code and yesterday once it triggered for about the 5th time in 9 days I could not accelerate. The other codes that typically trigger with it are the Hill Assist and Pre Collision. Had it towed to the dealership today. Hoping for good news but definitely disappointed.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any updates @Yurrty ?

I'm in the same boat. Ford has had my Bronco for a week now and still don't even have an ETA for when the part will be available.
wonderful...I can't even get mine in for diagnosis for another week...
Sponsored